• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of NAD T758 V3 AVR

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This reciever has been around for 11 years and the only bad review has been asr.
Most of the reviews available out there are subjective goobly gook with no measurements. So how can you trust them?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The last thing I know is my ears are better than a bunch of computer numbers.
No, they're not.
Ever wonder why most of asr is about denon?
I'm sorry Mr 10 posts, wrong again. Denon and their sister company Marantz has been beaten up badly here. It's only after the bad reviews/measurements posted here that Denon went back to the drawing board and made some major improvements in their 2020-21 lineup.
You really do need to do your homework before shooting from the hip, you'll always miss the target that way.
No blowing my horn here
Yes, you are.

slipchuck

No, they're not.

I'm sorry Mr 10 posts, wrong again. Denon and their sister company Marantz has been beaten up badly here. It's only after the bad reviews/measurements posted here that Denon went back to the drawing board and made some major improvements in their 2020-21 lineup.
You really do need to do your homework before shooting from the hip, you'll always miss the target that way.

Yes, you are.
How do you explain that asr is the only bad review,? Is everyone wrong in the last 11 years?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have it and let me tell you it deserves high praise
IMO, in can be fine for some. But objectively, it is pretty disappointing really. Poor power (both quantity and quality) and also low preamp output, so if you want to add external amps, you need to choose them carefully to make sure they match ok. It can be just fine for many and Dirac is its main calling card. The main thing it had going for it when released was it was the lowest price point way to get Dirac in a multichannel theater. More choices are available now with ONKYO, Pioneer etc so I don't really see the appeal wit this particular unit. In the end it will probably come down to if the other brands offer better support, features etc at the same or less price point. But objectively, beyond Dirac, it really isn’t good, but those shortcomings might not matter in some situations.

Flak

Industry Insider
As an owner of a supported NAD, you can now try the beta version of our new mobile app which is unique as it proposes a target curve that is designed on the measurements of your room:

usersky

Forum Donor
Hi Flak. Sounds quite intriguing, proposed target based on room measurements, can you please elaborate a bit? Would this be included in desktop app soon? (i find desktop app way more usable than mobile). Thanks and congrats for great work with DIRAC, no amount of money spent on speakers would have improved my room the way NAD+DIRAC did. That was the moment my itch for constant changing the speakers in that nasty room.

Flak

Industry Insider
Hi Flak. Sounds quite intriguing, proposed target based on room measurements, can you please elaborate a bit? Would this be included in desktop app soon? (i find desktop app way more usable than mobile). Thanks and congrats for great work with DIRAC, no amount of money spent on speakers would have improved my room the way NAD+DIRAC did. That was the moment my itch for constant changing the speakers in that nasty room.
Yes, @usersky :)
that's a possibility for the desktop version as well so we are very interested in comments/findings by users of the beta mobile app

Flak

Industry Insider

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure that we are referring to the same subject but I think that I answered Markus here:
In a few words, we don't work on cal files as they are provided by third parties who manufacture the mics and we have to rely on those
So it would seem wise to verify measurements with the included manufacturer mics, otherwise original measurments could be off and if doing full range eq, the results could be off too.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As an owner of a supported NAD, you can now try the beta version of our new mobile app which is unique as it proposes a target curve that is designed on the measurements of your room:
I proposed this (in Audyssey threads) several times over the last couple of years...good to see someone is taking notice of what users want. This will hopefully push the Audyssey team as well.

laurosan

New guy here.
I do understand and trust those results and even though, after listening to the NAD I decided to buy it for my upgrade.
I coming from many Pioneers, Onkyos and in the last few years, the Denons AVR-X2400, AVR-X3600 and finally the AVR-X4700 and I must say, the NAD was a huge improvement in both music and movie.
Everything sounds much better than any of my previous AVRs and I can say that is specially the case for the Denon AVR-X4700 as I was able to play the same exact tracks and content in both the 4700 and the NAD as I had them both or some time before I sold the 4700.
The difference, to my ears, was not only clear but a huge improvement. The instruments, the vocals, the dialogues, the separations.
The NAD actually gave me the improved experience I was expecting every time I upgraded to a newer Denon.
Now, I'm not saying that Denons are bad, I'm just saying that for me the NAD is a much better fit.

Just my 2 cents and my first post all-in-one.

laurosan

My first try with the NAD was without running Dirac and it literally brought the speakers to life, specially in clarity, something that the 4700 (that had been confifured with Audissey) was absolutely not doing. After running Dirac the difference gap is even bigger.
Anyway, it's not a competition, like I said it's my experience and I tested both almost side-by-side.
I use Krix speakers (which are 6ohms, and yes the Denon was configured to 6ohms as well) that I was almost putting in the bin after spending a considerable amount in the speaker upgrade. After switchihg to the NAD I have decided the speakers will stay for many years.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The difference, to my ears, was not only clear but a huge improvement.
Maybe you could explain to us how this is even possible?
AVR's with room correction are near impossible to do any sound quality comparisons. Not only are the Dirac and Audyssey systems very different in the way they handle the correction but just a very minor difference in the measurement process will offer very different frequency response from the speakers.
But if you take the DRC out of the picture, any actual difference in the sound of the two units can only be extremely subtle at best. Unless there is a power shortage issue, the odds of one modern receiver having a "huge" variation in sound quality from the next can only be true if one is broken in some manner.
There is definitely something amiss in your evaluation process.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first try with the NAD was without running Dirac and it literally brought the speakers to life, specially in clarity, something that the 4700 (that had been configured with Audissey) was absolutely not doing. After running Dirac the difference gap is even bigger.
There's the biggest problem. You are running different target curves. Without proper controls, you can't possibly have an apples-to-apples comparison.

Note I am not denying what you heard, I am saying the comparison between the two units isn't valid.

laurosan

Maybe you could explain to us how this is even possible?
AVR's with room correction are near impossible to do any sound quality comparisons. Not only are the Dirac and Audyssey systems very different in the way they handle the correction but just a very minor difference in the measurement process will offer very different frequency response from the speakers.
But if you take the DRC out of the picture, any actual difference in the sound of the two units can only be extremely subtle at best. Unless there is a power shortage issue, the odds of one modern receiver having a "huge" variation in sound quality from the next can only be true if one is broken in some manner.
There is definitely something amiss in your evaluation process.
Well, that would just tell us that Audissey is a big piece of unnecessary software.
Had I not sold the 4700 I would gladly invite anyone keen to listen to the difference. It sounded as if the 4700 was incapable of making the speakers work as they should. A lack of power in the receiver would explain that, sure but they were both unde the exact same condition.
Also, if we were to follow that logic about the room correction software, it would make the results even worst, wouldn't it?

Top Bottom