• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

Wino

I will wait for the LA4. The Holo May has no volume control.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In that case I would recommend the lowest sensitivity setting.

:)

Rick “turn that #%^}#! thing down!” Denney
Well then, the LA4 had three volume levels :)

- Rich

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
AHB2/LA4 will be tested and measured in STEREO 8/22 (Deutsches Fachmagazin).

PGAMiami

www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/blogs/how-to/how-to-pick-the-best-filter-setting-for-your-dac

Above is a link that explains how different filters measure and sound, on an ASR fav DAC. While some may claim these differences are inaudible, in my experience with DACs that I’ve owned that allow one to select various filters, one could easily hear differences in real time a-b comparisons. Many highly respected engineers such as Dr Johnson, E Meitner will tell you they measure and listen. These are folks that have also made huge contributions not just advancing consumer products, but also in the pro recording arena designing and manufacturing some of the best sounding PCM and DSD A to D and D to A equipment, used by many of the best studios to produce some of the best recordings ever.
I suggest we get back on topic which is regarding the AHB2 and how to get the most from it.

Wino

Received my LA4 yesterday. I know this is a AHB2 thread, but you folks seem pretty knowledgeable on LA4/HPA4 as well. So, question... L/R balance, should it fully swing from one side to the other? I am not noticing much of a difference when balancing left or right.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Received my LA4 yesterday. I know this is a AHB2 thread, but you folks seem pretty knowledgeable on LA4/HPA4 as well. So, question... L/R balance, should it fully swing from one side to the other? I am not noticing much of a difference when balancing left or right.
la.jpg

PGAMiami

You never provided after having been asked several times by multiple posters to present evidence for your claim „that DACs sound“ different although they are SOTA and measure the same. Therefore your argument is fundamentally flawed.

You most likely perceive a difference due to your biases. You can proof the correctness by excluding those biases by an ABX.
Let me repeat. I wrote that dacs that measure well may not sound the same. Never wrote that they measured the same. Go back and reread my post. Filters sound and measure different. Meitner uses an interesting scheme that in real time changes the filter. I like it, you may not feel it’s important. Most great engineers will tell you they start with measurement, but always listen and compare to a reference. Many times in the history of this hobby we’ve learned that what we thought were complete measurements for defining how a product would sound were in fact not complete. But either way, this thread is about the AHB2.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Let me repeat. I wrote that dacs that measure well may not sound the same. Never wrote that they measured the same. Go back and reread my post. Filters sound and measure different. Meitner uses an interesting scheme that in real time changes the filter. I like it, you may not feel it’s important. Most great engineers will tell you they start with measurement, but always listen and compare to a reference. Many times in the history of this hobby we’ve learned that what we thought were complete measurements for defining how a product would sound were in fact not complete. But either way, this thread is about the AHB2.
Same difference. Still no proof. Just anecdote.

Fair enough. Let’s leave it at that.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
A handful of OT posts moved to the master catch all.

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Same difference. Still no proof. Just anecdote.

Fair enough. Let’s leave it at that.
I do wonder how Beethoven and Bach ever made any music without scientific instrumentation to tell them whether their musical instruments were 'correctly' tuned.

Still Benchmark have found that both measurement and listening are necessary.

This section is interesting.

AUDIBLE ARTIFACTS THAT ELUDE TRADITIONAL MEASUREMENTS​

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do wonder how Beethoven and Bach ever made any music without scientific instrumentation to tell them whether their musical instruments were 'correctly' tuned.

Surely you must know that this is a silly analogy, yes? The creation, recording, and production of music is an artistic process. The reproduction of that created and recorded music is where accuracy becomes paramount.

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Listening to recorded music is only an illusion, in the same way that watching a 2D video image is.

Go and stand next to a Cello/drum kit/ saxophone, then you will know how it really sounds.

Listen to the best replay system, playing the best recorded material, it doesn't sound as real, as the real thing.
All this subjective/objective 'debate' is largely window dressing.

The Benchmark AHB2 is as good as the illusion gets for me, as are my heavily modded Quad 989 ESL's.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

Still Benchmark have found that both measurement and listening are necessary.

This section is interesting.

AUDIBLE ARTIFACTS THAT ELUDE TRADITIONAL MEASUREMENTS​

Don’t twist the facts.

Nobody here says not to listen. But if you claim audible differences which are not measurable than proof it with ABX listening.

However still more anecdote and no proof.

What did you think a forum with Science in the title would be about if not about facts ?

Itisawesome

Don’t twist the facts.

Nobody here says not to listen. But if you claim audible differences which are not measurable than proof it with ABX listening.

However still more anecdote and no proof.

What did you think a forum with Science in the title would be about if not about facts ?
There are no proofs, science nor facts; only what one decides to believe

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
May be too late... I still think, painful as it may be, the review threads should be locked and a separate discussion thread created. This has devolved into a pissing contest irrelevant to the AHB2 review itself.

Top Bottom