• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Salon 2 - $15 k 'last dance' sale

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They should design a big boy two channel speaker with 8" woofers or even bigger.
I suspect that an internet direct brand is mindful of shipping costs and prefers speakers which can go via standard courier weight and size limits rather than only via specialized palletized shipping services.

MKR

Major Contributor
Yes that would be terrible if I can’t listen to music at realistic volumes since this is a daily activity for me.

The cost to get a few % better is what I’m referring to when I say it’s overrated. But everyone has their own target and budget. Did you ever get those active speakers?
Nope, still on the quest for the end game. Decision this year if all goes according to plan

Coopersaddiction

While reading this thread, I thought of a question that I can't find answer to in this forum. Is anyone testing the quality of the parts being used in speakers. The Salon2's and a lot of the speakers from the big brand houses seem to be engineered to sound and test very well out of the box. If they are using proprietary parts that may not be easy to find down the road and/or of suspect quality, then you are essentially buying something that will almost definitely be worthless beyond the warranty period. The idea that was floated about having to buy a spare speaker for parts for the Salon2's started my query.
If this question has already been answered or it may belong in a different thread, I apologize in advance.

Lsc

While reading this thread, I thought of a question that I can't find answer to in this forum. Is anyone testing the quality of the parts being used in speakers. The Salon2's and a lot of the speakers from the big brand houses seem to be engineered to sound and test very well out of the box. If they are using proprietary parts that may not be easy to find down the road and/or of suspect quality, then you are essentially buying something that will almost definitely be worthless beyond the warranty period. The idea that was floated about having to buy a spare speaker for parts for the Salon2's started my query.
If this question has already been answered or it may belong in a different thread, I apologize in advance.
The manufacturers test or don't test the quality of their parts. All of the best speaker companies design drivers to meet their goal so of course they well be proprietary. Anything that you buy is guaranteed by the manufacturer until the warranty period, if there is one.

- My salon2's warranty has ended, I believe the previous owner said there was like 6 months left and this was about 2 years ago. It's not almost definitely worthless and it's 1.5 years beyond the warranty period.
- My Emotiva XMC-2's warranty expired last August. It's not almost definitely worthless...still kicking.
- My LG 65C7's warranty expired in 2008. It's not almost definitely worthless...still kicking.
- My Theta Casnova's warranty expired in 2004. It's not almost definitely worthless...still amazing with the flexible crossover. It's light years beyond the XMC-2 with the flexible crossover.

Etc. Etc. I'm not throwing stuff in the garbage after the warranty expires, until it breaks and is not fixable.

steve59

Major Contributor
I've reached out to manufacturers of speakers I was interested in to ask about replacement drivers . Kef used to state guaranteed support for their reference products for 10 years. Revel, before the Samsung buyout, was very prompt at answering questions and when I had my salon 2's I inquired about replacement drivers and was assured they stay on top of stock and order a batch of drivers when specific stock gets low, that was around 2018. Most companies have an email address and if there's concern just reach out. IDK if the original staff is still there, but hopefully someone is still running the brand.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Salon 2 has a beryllium tweeter. I bet a replacement driver costs at least $1,000 if not more.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously looking for a pair of , according to some people, worthless Revel Salon 2.. Will travel anywhere in the USA to pick them up..

Peace.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Salon 2 has a beryllium tweeter. I bet a replacement driver costs at least $1,000 if not more.
$1K is probably about right. Member @RichB documented his Salon2 tweeter replacement on Audioholics over four years ago:

steve59

Major Contributor
I've also read of owners that avoided the Revel markup by purchasing the tweeter direct from manufacturer to save half price, but idk if i'd chance it.

Top Bottom