• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Research Project: Infinity IL10 Speaker Review & Measurements

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Either way asking a plain ~2.8 kHz 2nd order lowpass to deal with a nasty resonance peak at ~4.7 kHz seems a bit much. This may not yet have been common knowledge when the IL10 was designed 20 years ago, but I do think speaker designers have been aware of this potential snag for quite a while now.

24db/octave, that should be a 4th order no?

I still think we need to revisit this speaker with new caps, 20 year old +/-10% electrolytics, especially considering the tweeter is running two of them in series

GelbeMusik

Didn't the peak survive the last 20ys? If my recollection holds I've seen that obnoxious peak in older measurements too.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What frequency pair you want tested there?
Well, for woofers HiFiCompass has used 30Hz & 255Hz, stating:
”With this ratio (1: 8.5) the contribution of Doppler distortions is not yet dominant and the contribution of amplitude modulation can still be observed.”

Not sure wether or not having the Doppler distortions not yet dominant is a good thing.

For a tweeter, the lower level tone needed to be in its range, which having a constant frequency pair may not be good as some 3-way or 4-way designs will mess with that, but maybe 3kHz & 16kHz? Or you can say 9kHz & 10kHz this the distortions are 1kHz apart.

vavan

may be good time to start another thread related to IMD measurement?

lonewolf

I'm very happy to see a move to keep this thread productive rather than hostile, kudos! I have to say, it's been a tough slog reading through all the pages to get here to the end. I'm looking forward to where it goes from here!

@amirm, you've mentioned that you would like to get this speakers into the hands of others so they can listen as well. Would that include the idea of shipping to a volunteer to listen? I live near Toronto in Canada. If so, I would be happy to volunteer my time to have a good listen to this speaker and provide my impressions. Afterwards I would ship them back or to another volunteer if needed.

Last edited:

BYRTT

Forum Donor
I'm very happy to see a move to keep this thread productive rather than hostile, kudos! I have to say, it's been a tough slog reading through all the pages to get here to the end. I'm looking forward to where it goes from here!

@amirm, you've mentioned that you would like to get this speakers into the hands of others so they can listen as well. Would that include the idea of shipping to a volunteer to listen? I live near Toronto in Canada. If so, I would be happy to volunteer my time to have a good listen to this speaker and provide my impressions. Afterwards I would ship them back or to another volunteer if needed.
Know its easy to say in some other than myself will have the cost and steal of their time but suggest if you and Amir make agreement that when you at it also ship one M16 together with one IL10.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a heavy speaker and would cost a lot to ship in US let alone Canada. So for now, I am hoping to find local people who are interested in it. Thanks for the interest anyway.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, for woofers HiFiCompass has used 30Hz & 255Hz, stating:
”With this ratio (1: 8.5) the contribution of Doppler distortions is not yet dominant and the contribution of amplitude modulation can still be observed.”
This speaker won't produce 35 Hz so I don't think that is a good frequency to use.

lonewolf

Know its easy to say in some other than myself will have the cost and steal of their time but suggest if you and Amir make agreement that when you at it also ship one M16 together with one IL10.

I'm certainly not opposed to the idea, if Amir is willing to ship. If not, that's okay too. I also have the Revel F35 speaker to compare against.

lonewolf

It is a heavy speaker and would cost a lot to ship in US let alone Canada. So for now, I am hoping to find local people who are interested in it. Thanks for the interest anyway.

I can see that being an issue. I would be curious tho how much is "a lot". Over $100? I could be willing to pay for shipping both ways if it's not too unreasonable. But I agree, there becomes a point where it doesn't make sense.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I can see that being an issue. I would be curious tho how much is "a lot". Over $100? I could be willing to pay for shipping both ways if it's not too unreasonable. But I agree, there becomes a point where it doesn't make sense.
That is a generous offer. The issue is that you can get your own sample for that kind of money. Here is a pair that with shipping would come to $200: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinity-I...516225?hash=item2aeb7dcb41:g:m0AAAOSwNp1e80LV

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting. I've never used ebay before. I had looked around at my usual online places, but came up empty with these. Hmmm.
I hardly do much on ebay but buying stuff from well rated sellers seems pretty easy so I do a few of those a year.

lonewolf

I hardly do much on ebay but buying stuff from well rated sellers seems pretty easy so I do a few of those a year.

That particular seller has a 100% positive feedback. I remember way back in the day it was an auction site and you had to bid on items. I see there is an option to Buy It Now. Is the auction stuff even a thing anymore?

To everyone, would there be any value to the site or this research thread if I were to pick these up and offer impressions on it? I'm certainly no authority on audio, so it would just be one more subjective listening test as a data point. If it has value, I could probably be talked into picking these up.

bigx5murf

This line must've sold well, I see a number of listings just searching "Infinity interlude" on my local classifieds. It's cheaper for people to just buy up any that show up locally. Right now, I could make a phone call and get IL40, IL50, or IL60 all for under $200 a pair. I paid $80 for my IL10 locally.

There's also a few pairs of Infinity Entra ones locally that look just like the IL10, anyone know how similar or different they are?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That particular seller has a 100% positive feedback. I remember way back in the day it was an auction site and you had to bid on items. I see there is an option to Buy It Now. Is the auction stuff even a thing anymore?
It is and I avoid them all. :) There are so many people with the right skills to bid that I can't keep up with them. Many wait until the last second to jump in and such.

Note that sometimes it will say "make an offer." If so, always send a message and bid for less. I routinely get the price down this way. Recently bought a $100 item for $80.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To everyone, would there be any value to the site or this research thread if I were to pick these up and offer impressions on it?
I like to see such feedback.

Top Bottom