• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Research Project: Infinity IL10 Speaker Review & Measurements

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To everyone, would there be any value to the site or this research thread if I were to pick these up and offer impressions on it? I'm certainly no authority on audio, so it would just be one more subjective listening test as a data point. If it has value, I could probably be talked into picking these up.
It would certainly be interesting :)

Euphonious

This line must've sold well, I see a number of listings just searching "Infinity interlude" on my local classifieds. It's cheaper for people to just buy up any that show up locally. Right now, I could make a phone call and get IL40, IL50, or IL60 all for under $200 a pair.

If you can get a fully operational pair of IL60s for $200, run for them now, if only on the basis of their spin. Better still if it has the RABOS kit included.

Last edited:

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The running hypothesis between Neumann and I are that temperature makes a difference. I measured M16 and KH80 during winter and it seems that may have impacted bass.

This sounds plausible to me.

I was doing some design work once and the resonant frequency of our new woofer was higher than the specification. So when we were done for the day we hooked it up to a signal generator and fed it a 20 Hz sine wave overnight. When we came back the next morning, the woofer's resonant frequency had gone UP! But the temperature in the workshop had gone down (this was in Maryland in the winter), and that explained it.

[edit] The increase in Fs is a symptom of the suspension system (in particular the long-chain polymers therein) becoming less "viscous", or more "sticky", as the temperature drops. Mechanical Q, Compliance and Vas would also be affected, I think. So the net effect on the frequency response curve would be greater than that predicted by merely raising the resonant frequency.

Last edited:

KaiserSoze

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you can get a fully operational pair of IL60s for $200, run for them now, if only on the basis of their spin. Better still if it has the RABOS kit included.

Its been a while since read about RABOS, but if the system is calibrated to the specific microphone that was shipped and it is missing (most likely it is), or if the CD that was shipped with it is missing (almost guaranteed to be missing), this could potentially be a problem. For anything close to $200 for a pair I would grab them in a heartbeat so long as they aren't beat up and the drivers are all working. The IL60s that I've seen listed are much more than that. There was also the IL40, which was the three-way tower similar to the IL60 but sans the power subwoofers. For anyone who doesn't like the subwoofers built into the main speakers the IL40 may be more desirable, and ought to be easier to find for sale, for less $.

This is interesting, a master list of all LazySusan speaker tests. Don't know if this link has been posted on this site. It's probably somewhere so obvious that I didn't see it.

https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/2019/03/all-spinorama-data-index.html

bobbooo

Major Contributor
That particular seller has a 100% positive feedback. I remember way back in the day it was an auction site and you had to bid on items. I see there is an option to Buy It Now. Is the auction stuff even a thing anymore?

To everyone, would there be any value to the site or this research thread if I were to pick these up and offer impressions on it? I'm certainly no authority on audio, so it would just be one more subjective listening test as a data point. If it has value, I could probably be talked into picking these up.

The problem is that would add yet another unknown variable into the mix (a third unit, after the ones measured by Amir and Dr. Olive for the preference formula study). And presumably a unit we won't get any measurements of, unlike the other two. Reducing rather than increasing unknown variables should be the aim.

bigx5murf

Do you guys think I'm lying or something?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200709-191934.png
    Screenshot_20200709-191934.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 289
  • Screenshot_20200709-191911.png
    Screenshot_20200709-191911.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 306
  • Screenshot_20200709-191854.png
    Screenshot_20200709-191854.png
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Screenshot_20200709-191834.png
    Screenshot_20200709-191834.png
    1 MB · Views: 324

lonewolf

This line must've sold well, I see a number of listings just searching "Infinity interlude" on my local classifieds. It's cheaper for people to just buy up any that show up locally. Right now, I could make a phone call and get IL40, IL50, or IL60 all for under $200 a pair. I paid $80 for my IL10 locally.

I envy you! My area seems almost devoid of electronics. Even if I include my search to the entire province I rarely see anything interesting. Or at least anything I've looked for. I did manage to find my Revel F35s and matching center for a fantastic price this way, but it's been rare that I find any hits on anything I would want. I did find a guy right now selling il40s, il10s and the il25 as a set for $670 lol.

It is and I avoid them all. :) There are so many people with the right skills to bid that I can't keep up with them. Many wait until the last second to jump in and such.

Note that sometimes it will say "make an offer." If so, always send a message and bid for less. I routinely get the price down this way. Recently bought a $100 item for $80.

Okay so it is still a thing! back in the early days a friend was big into it. He bought a book on how to win at bids and would talk for hours about great strategies he used to win bids. He did get really great deals on a Lexicon preamp and an EAD Theatremaster preamp, with the idea that he would keep the one he wanted and I would take the other. He kept the Lexicon as it had more toys, and I got the EAD that I wanted as it sounded better! I've always wanted to see proper measurements on the EAD to see if it really was as good as its reputation said. I know I used it from early 2000s up until four years ago and was always super happy with it! Good to know about sending in an offer, I'll keep that in mind!

The problem is that would add yet another unknown variable into the mix (a third unit, after the ones measured by Amir and Dr. Olive for the preference formula study). And presumably a unit we won't get any measurements of, unlike the other two. Reducing rather than increasing unknown variables should be the aim.

I think that's my biggest concern. I certainly don't have a Klippel hanging around, so would only be able to do limited REW measurements in my small living room. Amirs copy seems to track very close to the original Olive measurements, but would my copy? Is it still as good as new, or has it been abused throughout the years and now out of spec somehow? Who knows. If I didn't like something about the sound, I don't expect we can go back to Amirs measurements to find out why unless we KNOW mine is a properly performing copy. I'd be willing to spend some time on this and doing whatever tests and offering whatever data I could that people were interested in, that I was capable of performing. I'm no engineer, and being on a sample with no spins, I'd be afraid that any data people are interested in would be of limited value or hamstrung in some way.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

Amir, these quotes from your post #309 give extremely valuable context. I should know what paper they are from... but I don't. Can you let me know?

Also, was there a subsequent paper which employed the "adjustable loudspeaker" to conduct research using "real-time manipulation of the direct, early-reflected and reverberant sounds"? I have done single-blind real-time manipulations of the reverberant sounds in a two-channel system, so I'm interested in the findings of professional researchers under more thorough and rigorously-controlled conditions.

Thanks!

Last edited:

bigx5murf

I envy you! My area seems almost devoid of electronics. Even if I include my search to the entire province I rarely see anything interesting. Or at least anything I've looked for. I did manage to find my Revel F35s and matching center for a fantastic price this way, but it's been rare that I find any hits on anything I would want. I did find a guy right now selling il40s, il10s and the il25 as a set for $670 lol.

In the past when I saw overpriced stuff I wanted on local classifieds, I'd ask the seller to match "sold prices on ebay", this was successful more often than not.

bigx5murf

I've been trying to research the Infinity Entra ones. They look like they use the same drivers as this IL10. The main differences seem to be a more complex crossover (extra inductor, extra capacitor), and they're made in USA instead of Mexico. They usually go for less money than the IL10 as well.

Euphonious

I've been trying to research the Infinity Entra ones. They look like they use the same drivers as this IL10. The main differences seem to be a more complex crossover (extra inductor, extra capacitor), and they're made in USA instead of Mexico. They usually go for less money than the IL10 as well.
The Entra line preceded the Primus line as Infinity's low-priced speakers. The drivers were constructed using what Infinity calls MMD instead of the CMMD (Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm) used on the Interludes and later premium lines (Alpha, Beta, Kappa, Reference).

SEKLEM

Entra uses MMD drivers, Interlude uses CMMD. Entra uses .75" tweeter, Interlude uses 1" tweeter. Some Interlude speakers were made in mexico, others made in USA. I have two pair of the Interlude 10, one made in USA, the other Mexico.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Entra uses MMD drivers, Interlude uses CMMD. Entra uses .75" tweeter, Interlude uses 1" tweeter. Some Interlude speakers were made in mexico, others made in USA. I have two pair of the Interlude 10, one made in USA, the other Mexico.
Anyone have the Entra Ones?
I mistook my surround speakers for the Interlude 10. They’re actually Entra Ones. :rolleyes::(
I’ve never listened to them as anything but surrounds.
Revel F206 about to replace them soon. :cool:

bigx5murf

I actually just picked up a set of Alpha that seem similar as well, and they're all made in Denmark. A few tweeters are out, but I think I can cannibalize enough parts to get a working set of bookshelf speakers.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I'm in. $85/pr, local sale, barely used. Will swap them for the Studio 530s and see what happens. Crown XLS 2502.

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_185355.jpg
    IMG_20200724_185355.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 193

SEKLEM

I'm in. $85/pr, local sale, barely used. Will swap them for the Studio 530s and see what happens. Crown XLS 2502.

I’ve compared these two. I won’t taint your impressions by sharing my mine. I’ll be interested to get your take and talk to you about it.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I’ve compared these two. I won’t taint your impressions by sharing my mine. I’ll be interested to get your take and talk to you about it.

Only a few hours in but subjective first impressions: while the 530 is pretty flat to 5k, my IL-10 has noticeably less energy in the 1500-5000k range so at first listening I was taken aback how more laid back it sounded. One gets used to it but I think I prefer the more zippy and more detailed 530 presentation there but it's just a first impression. Bass seems more articulate on the Infinity which I do prefer. I'm hearing information from outside the L-R boundaries of the IL-30 which I don't recall hearing with the JBL (on the Roches first album). I'll have to check back on that track with the 530.

Here's the Anthem Genesis measurements with my two LSR310s subs. At this point I've just applied room correction to 400hz and a little bass boost with 70hz center. (not shown). While I can't compare to the Revel M16 I will say they're the best $85 speakers I've heard.

Screenshot_20200725-113630.png

Top Bottom