• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Research Project: Infinity IL10 Speaker Review & Measurements

Hiten

hi,
since one speaker is used during listening are songs converted to mono ? And in evaluating are the tracks same ?
I am ok with anyway. Was just curious. Thanks for the good work and all the efforts.
best regards.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't say that. With the two-tone or multitone measurement there are other distortion mechanisms that do not occur with the THD measurement.
There are distortions caused by amplitude modulation (AM) and frequency modulation (FM).
More information can be found on the Klippel website and in the purifi-audio.com blog:
Doppler distortion vs IMD?
Low frequency harmonic distortion is almost inaudible. So what’s the point of low distortion drivers?

But you should also consider the result of the evaluation:

The masking of the test sound is thus no longer given at -53dB attenuation (with the 80dB masker) - for a test sound with 3x base frequency, which corresponds to our HD3 in terms of frequency.

The measured 1.5% [email protected] of the loudspeaker corresponds to a damping of only -36dB. This is far, far above the perception threshold of a test tone.

Have you actually read the paper and what are you trying to say?
@amirm does not only show THD in the distortion measurements, but also HD2...HD5.

What does Dr. Geddes say in this paper? Actually nothing more than that THD alone is not enough to reflect the hearing impressions realistically.

He therefore suggests weighting the individual harmonic distortions in a certain way and calls this "Gedlee Metric". As others suggested before, this depends on the masking of the harmonic distortions, but also on the amplitude itself (as shown in post#118, the masking also depends on the sound pressure). There is another peculiarity (inclusion of the phase) that is relevant for amplifier technology.

Especially after the GedLee-paper you have linked, the reference made by @amirm to the raised HD3 is relevant, because it is less well masked.

What do we do (at least I do that ;-)) here in the forum when the measured harmonic distortions are examined?
We consider the order of the harmonic distortions and "weight" them accordingly, since higher order HD are less well masked.

Then the sound pressure should also be taken into account during the measurement. Therefore, the measured 1.5% HD3 at 86dB is already pretty bad. Probably 5% HD3 at 105dB would be less of a problem.

Together with the 4dB peak between 4-5kHz and the possibly slow decay at 1.2kHz ... a combination from hell.

I think what this comes down to is the need to implement the Gedlee metric in speaker ratings. Speaker design people can have productive conversations about distortion since it is their job to sniff out nonlinearities and optimize them, but the task of ranking speakers in terms of sound quality is another matter entirely. We see that there is very little consensus on this issue, largely due to the statements from Toole about distortion 'not being a factor'. Well, something besides DI and FR is at play here. As someone with a personal interest in designing good speakers, I am not HD plots show what we are hearing (I'm not a trained listener; I don't even like Dire Straits.) The Gedlee metric, on the other hand, seems to have greater explanatory power, but would be difficult to implement. Difficult for me at least.

I would encourage everyone to read @hardisj 's new review of the Jamo speaker, which has some interesting measurements showing power compression vs. frequency. I think this is a really useful way of showing how a speaker shows strain at high amplitude.

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
In this case, I am not a random dude reading research about controlled listening tests. It was part of my professional job and responsibility to practice it. Based on that, I am saying you must not play debating games saying you read that sighted tests are no good and that is that...
As I keep saying like a broken record, none of this means 100% reliability. If we have such a crystal ball, we would close this forum and just go by that data point. We don't have it. We need to instead rely on collective wisdom and make educated guesses.
A pro is more likely to get it, and more likely to know what to ignore. Sometimes weird enough problems just need luck and perseverance finding the solution. A motivated layman with hours of time on his hands, and no other things to look at can find such things even pros miss. Problems take what they take to find solutions to.
At times it seems Amir is overstating the value of the professional listener (he sometimes seems to almost suggest they are immune to bias), but then he restates his argument, and he clearly is not suggesting they are infallible. Blumlein captures Amir's claim quite well, the pro is not infallible, but she or he is more likely to identify an issue and in a shorter amount of time than the layperson. Just like one cannot say with absolute certainty that a professional's sighted evaluation is free of bias, one cannot conclude that it is of no value.

QMuse, it is ironic that you are the one actually committing the "sin" you attribute to Amir...you are the one suggesting an universal claim; i.e. all sighted tests are tainted by bias, thus of no value. In contrast Amir's argument has not been that his evaluation is without question because he has been professionally trained, but rather his evaluation has value because of his training (please note the statement of "value" as opposed to "truth") and is worthy of examination, thus his suggestion that others should listen to the speaker and see if they share his perception. Now, you may argue that others will be biased by his findings and be affected by said bias when they listen, and you may be right, but they nonetheless would provide another data point. Your repeated references to bias in sighted tests suggests that there is absolutely no value in Amir's evaluation, the total dismissal of that data point is questionable stance at best, and a corruption of scientific inquiry at worse.

PS Amir and others have already stated this, but it seems to have been forgotten. Amir did not compare this speaker to the other speakers tested by Harman, and there is nothing to suggest from his testing that he would not come to the same conclusions they did...it was the best speaker from the pack.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
hi,
since one speaker is used during listening are songs converted to mono ? And in evaluating are the tracks same ?
I am ok with anyway. Was just curious. Thanks for the good work and all the efforts.
best regards.
For near field testing, I have tracks converted to mono. For far field testing, I just play the same channel, same music and same location for all speakers under test (give or take an inch or two). I am not trying to enjoy the tracks so conversion to mono is not necessary. It is just a test signal in this regard.

Vuki

Well, I give you an example of googling. My doctor prescribed medication that I thought was causing a side effect. In the next visit I tell him and he says no, that is not likely to be the case. I go home and google. The first hit I get on side effects of that drug is what I was experiencing. Now get this: the hit was to the actual research results of the drug by the company! Right there, in black and white it says this is one of the known side effects.

So on next visit I tell my doctor he is wrong and that I read my side effect was caused by the medicine. He asked me where I had read it. I say it was in the documentation for the drug certification. He calmly explains to me that in drug trials they document anything that the subjects reports whether it is actually caused by the medication or not. He said doctors that prescribe these medications thousands of times build up their own body of evidence of what side effects are likely and what they are not. Well it turned out he was right as the side effect was caused by something else.

In this case, I am not a random dude reading research about controlled listening tests. It was part of my professional job and responsibility to practice it. Based on that, I am saying you must not play debating games saying you read that sighted tests are no good and that is that. The world doesn't turn that way. Not with your doctor. Not with the Ice Cream taster. Not with trained audio listeners.

As I keep saying like a broken record, none of this means 100% reliability. If we have such a crystal ball, we would close this forum and just go by that data point. We don't have it. We need to instead rely on collective wisdom and make educated guesses.

At least here in Europe doctors have legal obligation to report side effects noted by them or patient to the drug agency. Collected data is then used to control and correct data in producer's drug documentation. Based on that data, every few years drug documentation is revised. So the story of the doctor that builds his own database...I would ask for second opinion :D

martijn86

Try as I might though, i could not like this speaker. Again, tonality was right but there is this grunginess and lack of clarity to everything it played.

Uh oh. Someone forgot to plugin a noise harvester!

Vuki

It seems unlikely that distortion is the reason @amirm doesn't like the sound of il10. There were other speakers with similar distortion profile that he liked.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In this particular case though, Amir's measurements of the IL10 are practically identical to Harmans, as shown in the last image above.
I don't get this thread or review though, there seems to be so much energy put into irrelevancies, I don't understand the point of this thread, particularly if it's main purpose is to find out if Amir's Klippel rig is measuring accurately....there's simpler ways of doing it, I really don't understand all the detailed discussions about this speaker and how it relates. Like it was said in another thread, just test the same 'controversial' speaker that produces dubious results on Amir's Klippel....just test that speaker on Amir's rig & then send it to Klippel for independant testing to see if it marries. All the calorie burning in this thread about god knows what and the review (if that is the aim), just seems to be a lot of people spinning their wheels and burning calories for no reason. There's gotta be better ways of concluding if Amir's Klippel rig is accurate....and to be honest I can hardly believe that is the purpose of this thread (I still doubt it)...Amir didn't really say what the purpose of this thread was beyond comparing Klippel with anechoic on the same speaker model....but that was 20 yrs ago and the speaker is a different unit and the speaker has aged and anechoic does not equal Klippel....too many factors & uncertainties if the main reason for this review & thread is to establish Amir Klippel accuracy....there's gotta be a simpler way of doing it....I really don't get this thread, feel like I'm in a parallel universe! I still don't know the intended purpose of this thread and can't believe it's purpose is to establish Amir Klippel Accuracy like some have said....hopefully Amir can clarify the overall purpose of this review & thread.

Last edited:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get this thread or review though, there seems to be so much energy put into irrelevancies, I don't understand the point of this thread, particularly if it's main purpose is to find out if Amir's Klippel rig is measuring accurately....there's simpler ways of doing it, I really don't understand all the detailed discussions about this speaker and how it relates. Like it was said in another thread, just test the same 'controversial' speaker that produces dubious results on Amir's Klippel....just test that speaker on Amir's rig & then send it to Klippel for independant testing to see if it marries. All the calorie burning in this thread about god knows what and the review (if that is the aim), just seems to be a lot of people spinning their wheels and burning calories for no reason. There's gotta be better ways of concluding if Amir's Klippel rig is accurate....and to be honest I can hardly believe that is the purpose of this thread...Amir didn't really say what the purpose of this thread was beyond comparing Klippel with anechoic on the same speaker model....but that was 20 yrs ago and the speaker is a different unit and the speaker has aged and anechoic does not equal Klippel....too many factors & uncertainties if the main reason for this review & thread is to establish Amir Klippel accuracy....there's gotta be a simpler way of doing it....I really don't get this thread, feel like I'm in a parallel universe!

Afaik, Amir is already working with Neumann on verifying some earlier results with that speaker.

I know Amir said he wanted to replicate the anechoic measurements, but I think the reason this speaker is interesting is because it is the only speaker that has been tested here that we know was used in one of Olive's preference studies.

Moreover, it was the highest bookshelf speaker in Olive's preference study part 1. So one goal was likely to see how amir's listening impressions correlated to that measured data.

The reasons there is so much discussion in this thread is because for the first time we have a speaker we know to be a blind test champion (back when the study was conducted), which has (at first glance) a good spin, which has extensive written listening impressions in the original study, which Amir's results correlate perfectly with Harman's, and yet which Amir could not like.

For all of the above I'd actually say this is the most interesting speaker Amir's measured yet; and perhaps it will end up being one of the most enlightening in terms of how well we can correlate measured data to listening tests.

GelbeMusik

I think what this comes down to is the need to implement the Gedlee metric in speaker ratings.

Please don't do this. First, this is prescribed by Dr. Geddes. There are side effects to be expected. However, I like to see other papers than Harman's here.

Question: Is the model correct? Nope. It's incomplete. It's not specifically frequency dependent by amount and phase. It's not level dependent.

How much does a test person cost? Or ten for five days? I think a little less than a single REVEL flagship. You could always take students for the sake of science. And yet you can't design a study to get real, complete, conclusive results? My friend, that's not science, that's writing papers.

And Dr Geddes hasn't made much progress over the years, has he?

As I already explained above, completely ignored of course, THD cannot be a criterion, because every instrument, even electronic ones, needs harmonics. In general, their level is hardly determined to fractions of a percent. That's a matter of hundreds of percent (great translator, by the way--this is on you, you little AI mouse).

Well, that's not in the Toole, in THE book. But you should know that, right? I am definitely not into human sciences. Rather the opposite, and logically quite critical of their methods. But to ignore their experience with human decision making simply ruins the whole thing. It turns into a pretty funny quack.

After using the new translator, I think that the lack of understanding has little to do with the language barrier. Neither the reference to human sciences is of interest, nor technical facts that are not in THE book. Continue!

Gregm

For near field testing, I have tracks converted to mono. For far field testing, I just play the same channel, same music and same location for all speakers under test (give or take an inch or two). (...)
Admittedly I have found it much easier to (subjectively) assess performance with a single speaker playing -- rather than stereo!

QMuse

Major Contributor
Have you actually read the paper and what are you trying to say?
@amirm does not only show THD in the distortion measurements, but also HD2...HD5.

What does Dr. Geddes say in this paper? Actually nothing more than that THD alone is not enough to reflect the hearing impressions realistically.

He therefore suggests weighting the individual harmonic distortions in a certain way and calls this "Gedlee Metric". As others suggested before, this depends on the masking of the harmonic distortions, but also on the amplitude itself (as shown in post#118, the masking also depends on the sound pressure). There is another peculiarity (inclusion of the phase) that is relevant for amplifier technology.

Especially after the GedLee-paper you have linked, the reference made by @amirm to the raised HD3 is relevant, because it is less well masked.

What do we do (at least I do that ;-)) here in the forum when the measured harmonic distortions are examined?
We consider the order of the harmonic distortions and "weight" them accordingly, since higher order HD are less well masked.

The point of linking a Geddes paper was to show that we don't need to re-invent hot water when considering distortion. Geddes showed that not only THD as a single number is not indicative but he also showed that you cannot simply analyze each harmonic component in absolute term, like you did with 3rd harmonic. Instead, he developed a formula which introduces weighting to each harmonic component and calculates a new index for which he showed it correlates perfectly with listening impressions.

In the context of Geddes paper Amir's comparison of HD3 with sighted listening impression, in which he saw distortion measurement before listening, is of course irrelevant.

If it is to be done the right way I suggest a distortion index is calculated according to Geddes formula and than compared to listening impression obtained without seeing the distortion measurement before, as everything else is a joke.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
I appreciate the efforts.

Harmonic distortion, which is what you have in the chart is one category of distortion. There are others.
I really want to point this out so that folks use the term Harmonic distortion when they refer to such distortion.
There are many types of distortion, so the general term "distortion" can be misleading. A frequency error is distortion, IMD is different from HD/THD, compression is different yet, lack of dynamic reach is a distortion, high noise floor, phase distortion, transient response, lack of scale, Noise such as port chuffing, woofer bottoming, resonances, ect
The list is longer than my hobbyist brain can remember.

This isn't to be picky but to keep moving toward some clarity. That way we can figure out what is what. Is the Harmonic distortion affecting Amirs listening in the way claimed or is it actually some other aspect of the replay.

Is Harmonic Distortion what is affect your experience JBL308 or is it something else or a combo?
I personally found the JBL308 (while sounding good enough)to sound a bit murky at all volumes. Maybe you notice it more at higher levels? Maybe it is compression? Maybe it is in fact HD?

This is probably the biggest challenge of critical listening: trying to track down probable cause(s) for the issues that you have identified in your listening assessment.

I would add that this assessment should be performed over a long period (at least a week or two) with your system in your room with known and fit-for-specific-purpose material order to achieve the highest effectiveness possible.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
Looking more closely at the predicted in room responses, I'd venture the excess and unsmooth response above 4 khz is where the grunginess is coming from. The variable being what Amir hears as grungy and lacking clarity. One of those cases where were I there and heard the same thing and Amir said this sounds grungy to me, then I'd have a good reference for what he means.

I thing we should start with a more descriptive characterisation of what "grunginess" means to @amirm , which frequencies affected, how does this translate to sound in the way that instruments and vocals are affected.

And there's still a chance that the unit might not be operating to spec...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
For all of the above I'd actually say this is the most interesting speaker Amir's measured yet; and perhaps it will end up being one of the most enlightening in terms of how well we can correlate measured data to listening tests.

One thing is for certain, the price of them on the secondary market will go up due to the attention their are receiving.

maty

Major Contributor
Admittedly I have found it much easier to (subjectively) assess performance with a single speaker playing -- rather than stereo!

We have to use both possibilities.

When I modify some speakers, first I only do one and compare with the other without that modification. Sometimes, even so, the difference is very noticeable, surprising. Then you fix the other one and listen in stereo and you can hallucinate like it happened to me months ago. We hallucinate the two people, the same who have been present in the previous modifications. With the theme I always use to compare: Hotel California (Eagles).

tuga

Major Contributor
In regard to harmonic distortion here's a clip from a Neumann tech note:

72.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
With loudspeakers, our brains adjust to them over a period of time, make allowances for their deficiencies and essentially "fill in the gaps" in their responses. In a quick A/B comparison, a new speaker, as compared to a "multi year loyal friend" is at a distinct disadvantage, even if it is better in some parameters.

The classic one speaker demo gives no comparisons and given enough time, the speaker will become the new normal (assuming no gross faults or anomalies).

For punters walking into a HiFi store, the old comparator setup enabled an instant, unbiased and effective way of determining the best speakers in very short order.

tuga

Major Contributor
With loudspeakers, our brains adjust to them over a period of time, make allowances for their deficiencies and essentially "fill in the gaps" in their responses. In a quick A/B comparison, a new speaker, as compared to a "multi year loyal friend" is at a distinct disadvantage, even if it is better in some parameters.

The classic one speaker demo gives no comparisons and given enough time, the speaker will become the new normal (assuming no gross faults or anomalies).

For punters walking into a HiFi store, the old comparator setup enabled an instant, unbiased and effective way of deterining the best speakers in very short order.

On the other hand long term listening allows the listener to:

a) go over a more varied programme increasing the chance of exposing a wider range of faults (the BBC mentions in one of their papers that high-Q resonances can be audible if they hit a fundamental note; my experience corroborates this i.e. violins and mid-woofer resonances)

b) move focus from a new (to the listener) tonal balance and room interaction to other aspects of the transduction

The trick is to focus on sound and not the music. Listening for enjoyment and critical assessment are different tasks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom