• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio PowerPlant 12 Review (AC Regenerator)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 250 90.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

LEFASR160

@Billy Budapest Hey, that's really fascinating. But doesn't it take time to set up the magnetic and electric fields that in turn create a Poynting Vector towards the light bulb ? as you get farther and farther away, say 0.5 light seconds away, there are no fields at all in that region for ~ 0.5 second because it takes time for the fields to propagate out there.

LEFASR160

@Nango Which company ? Do you mean PS Audio ? of course it's in business....lots of people buy their products.......very few high end audio people read these reviews. If you look and see the prices of the products that are reviewed here, most are very very cheap as far as "high end audio" goes. Very expensive high end audio gear is generally not reviewed on this site or at least I haven't seen it. I think the reason for that is that people who buy such expensive things generally don't loan them out to the reviewers on this site.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Nango Which company ? Do you mean PS Audio ? of course it's in business....lots of people buy their products.......very few high end audio people read these reviews. If you look and see the prices of the products that are reviewed here, most are very very cheap as far as "high end audio" goes. Very expensive high end audio gear is generally not reviewed on this site or at least I haven't seen it. I think the reason for that is that people who buy such expensive things generally don't loan them out to the reviewers on this site.
Why would they want to be embarassed by their poor choices?

LEFASR160

Cant beliebte they can survive for Long after this unmasking.
@Nango Their power generators are only one product line. go here : https://www.psaudio.com/products/ . I must confess that I bought one long ago thinking wrongly that it might help in some small way. Maybe it did when the power sagged momentarily since the regenerator does have capacitors that store charge and current and can maintain current and voltage momentarily. Also they have MOV's too so voltage surges can be mitigated. These units will NOT affect the sound of your gear though unless PERHAPS (of this I am not certain) you have one of their higher wattage regenerators AND you have an amplifier that is not as robust (small capacitor bank) as it should be....if a huge current draw is demanded of such an amp momentarily, the voltage in the line might drop but with a power regenerator with an added capacitor bank the voltage and current draw sag encountered MIGHT be mitigated. But to fix that I would think all you would need is a good amplifier in the first place and forget a power regenerator. This is just my lay opinion. You can ask the electrical engineers on this site and get a much better answer.

LEFASR160

Why would they want to be embarassed by their poor choices?
@Chrispy Well, that might be an explanation, but here's a real story and I will leave out the names. There is a guy I know who has a $40,000 gear and he offered to have it tested and reviewed on this site by one of the main reviewers. The owner did not want to let his $40,000 gear go out of his home and be left with someone for a month or a week or even a day due to the possibility of damage that was not covered by his insurance. Instead, he offered to have it tested ON SITE by the reviewer who lives only a few miles away. The reviewer on this site DECLINED saying it wasn't worth his time and he didn't want the hassle. I think that says it all.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Nango Their power generators are only one product line. go here : https://www.psaudio.com/products/ . I must confess that I bought one long ago thinking wrongly that it might help in some small way. Maybe it did when the power sagged momentarily since the regenerator does have capacitors that store charge and current and can maintain current and voltage momentarily. Also they have MOV's too so voltage surges can be mitigated. These units will NOT affect the sound of your gear though unless PERHAPS (of this I am not certain) you have one of their higher wattage regenerators AND you have an amplifier that is not as robust (small capacitor bank) as it should be....if a huge current draw is demanded of such an amp momentarily, the voltage in the line might drop but with a power regenerator with an added capacitor bank the voltage and current draw sag encountered MIGHT be mitigated. But to fix that I would think all you would need is a good amplifier in the first place and forget a power regenerator. This is just my lay opinion. You can ask the electrical engineers on this site and get a much better answer.
The regen is limited in it's power output and it's voltage output will sag when loaded down at or near max power output. The mains transformer on the power pole is limited by the high voltage supply, the internal resistance of the transformer and the line supply service that you pay for. Ultimately in the home the limiting factor is the circuit breaker amperage rating at your breaker panel. The AC mains supply has more power headroom if we can call it that.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Chrispy Well, that might be an explanation, but here's a real story and I will leave out the names. There is a guy I know who has a $40,000 gear and he offered to have it tested and reviewed on this site by one of the main reviewers. The owner did not want to let his $40,000 gear go out of his home and be left with someone for a month or a week or even a day due to the possibility of damage that was not covered by his insurance. Instead, he offered to have it tested ON SITE by the reviewer who lives only a few miles away. The reviewer on this site DECLINED saying it wasn't worth his time and he didn't want the hassle. I think that says it all.
I wouldn't think it's worth the hassle and I seriously doubt the gear will measure impressively. High end is more about selling mediocre stuff at high prices to the gullible....

ps Grandpa paul and his bs audio are well noted here and elsewhere. Buy this crap if you want....

LEFASR160

@Doodski This one has 3600 watts output and a huge capacitor bank and just might not sag at all if the mains sag . And it's my understanding that Mains can sag from time to time depending upon location, time, circumstances etc.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Doodski This one has 3600 watts output and a huge capacitor bank and just might not sag at all if the mains sag . And it's my understanding that Mains can sag from time to time depending upon location, time, circumstances etc.

Yes, this Powerplant 20 is a beast at 20A mains draw and the storage bank. I thought we where commenting on the smaller Powerplant 12 model. :D

LEFASR160

I wouldn't think it's worth the hassle and I seriously doubt the gear will measure impressively. High end is more about selling mediocre stuff at high prices to the gullible....

ps Grandpa paul and his bs audio are well noted here and elsewhere. Buy this crap if you want....
@Chrispy Grandpa paul is not considered high end audio---it's cheap stuff. What ? You seriously doubt the gear will measure impressively ? but I didn't mention what the gear was... IMHO, a good audio "scientist" would jump at a chance to measure it and post it for all to see....

LEFASR160

Yes, this Powerplant 20 is a beast at 20A mains draw and the storage bank. I thought we where commenting on the smaller Powerplant 12 model. :D
@Doodski well, we were kind of... but the P12 is a representative of the larger beast and the P12 could be used for small amps or source gear in the same way that the beast is used say for an amp. And it too has a cap bank.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Chrispy Grandpa paul is not considered high end audio---it's cheap stuff. What ? You seriously doubt the gear will measure impressively ? but I didn't mention what the gear was... IMHO, a good audio "scientist" would jump at a chance to measure it and post it for all to see....
In his own lab, sure. Why would he go mobile? I seriously doubt high end lives up to your expectations. I've dealt in several areas of "high end" products myself (not audio particularly, some other product lines). Most of the high end audio stuff is simply embarassingly expensive, particularly the electronics.

LEFASR160

In his own lab, sure. Why would he go mobile? I seriously doubt high end lives up to your expectations. I've dealt in several areas of "high end" products myself. Most of the high end audio stuff is simply embarassingly expensive, particularly the electronics.
@Chrispy I don't think I expressed my expectations. I do not disbelieve your findings that some "high end" products may be nothing but embarrassingly expensive. But you must agree that that is merely a generalization. Bottom line: The reviewer, if he were any sort of real "audio scientist", should have tested the product on site if only to confirm or deny what the members of this site so religiously believe to be merely "high end hype". It would have made a lot of news in the Hi Fi world. And it would have helped a lot of people too, no matter what the outcome. Instead of testing cheap Chinese and unknown products, this one would have made the news !!!! But the reviewer was afraid to do it.

LEFASR160

In his own lab, sure. Why would he go mobile? I seriously doubt high end lives up to your expectations. I've dealt in several areas of "high end" products myself (not audio particularly, some other product lines). Most of the high end audio stuff is simply embarassingly expensive, particularly the electronics.
@Chrispy Since I think you live in the PNW, you probably know one of the reviewers here. And he has a pair of Mark Levinson 53's that cost $50K a pair.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It wouldn't even help in this case. The regenerator is still supplying AC power to the amp. The capacitors in the amp are required to supply current in between the peaks of the AC. If a transient power spike takes more current than the amp capacitors can deliver, the voltage will still sag regardless of the capacitors in the regen unit.

Top Bottom