• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Cord For Amp - do volts matter?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So, I called the official Luxman service department in the USA. The guy told me he recommends at least a 12 gauge thickness no matter what was sent with the amp.
12 gauge cables are usually rated for 20 amps with connectors for that format to go with it. Best you can do with a UL certified cable is 14. If you already have that, use it and put the money toward something else. If you want to still get something, Pangea and Audioquest make power cables for less than $100 that are decently built but no safety certification (and 14 gauge). They make heavier cables but then you risk breaking your amp socket or the wall and it will set you back hundreds of dollars for nothing.

stvnharr

Ok, here is the story.... I have 2 amps and I got my power cords mixed up shuffling my amps around. One cord is 14 gauge and the other is 16 gauge. I can't remember which one goes to which amp.

So, I called the official Luxman service department in the USA. The guy told me he recommends at least a 12 gauge thickness no matter what was sent with the amp.

If you could please help me understand the power cord voltages and why it would matter rather than heckling me for buying a new power cord amp.
Hello,
Well, you have gotten quite a few responses but no answers to your questions.
For the above question, the 14ga. cord would be the best one to use for the Luxman Class A amp. You did not mention the other amp. But most probably the Class A amp will draw the most current from the wall. And yes, a 12ga. power cord is a good option if you want to buy another power cord.

As to your question about power cord voltages.....................it doesn't matter and don't worry about this.

Steve

delta76

Major Contributor
And uh...UL sonically tests every cord before it gets approval.

/Work with me here, guys
Indeed. Any power cable that distort the sound of the amp in anyway will not be approved.

/Because there must be something really, really wrong with it.

egellings

Major Contributor
The word "upgrade" when it comes to a power cord kinda raises my eyebrows, honestly. Is it because you need an extension? No power cord ever will ever make the slightest difference in any way - be it sound or current quality or safety. It may actually degrade any of those if it claims to do anything fancy and special. It's a bit like thinking an upgraded remote will make equipment sound better...
...or thinking that throwing a glass of water into the ocean will cause a visible rise in water level.

Top Bottom