• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anyone bought a amp from Japan on Ebay? How was your experience?

dman777

I live in USA.

I am wanting to buy ether a Luxman or Accuphase amp (brand new) on ebay from Japan. They are much cheaper than buying them in the states. One of the ebay Luxman sellers told me that it will have to go through customs which they will open the box, but they do not think they would do anything to the amp. The amps I am looking at have a 60 day return period with the seller paying return shipping. I realize I will need to buy a step up converter for the power but that is ok.

My question is, has anyone done this before? Does customs mess up the amp? What are the chances I get it and it's still in good condition from customs and shipping?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Member @GXAlan has bought audio gear from Japan and drop shipped it to me. So I am sure he can add value here. The shippers he had arranged to be used did an incredible job of packing. We are talking about triple boxing, wrapping enough plastic around it to go around the world, etc. :)

OP
D

dman777

Was the value over $800? The seller told me that when it's over 800 it's when customs will open the box up

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have bought used gear from HiFiDo.

They do an amazing job packaging things even without original packaging and I can highly recommend them. I had some 125 lb floor standing speakers shipped to me via FedEx freight. On the drive from the depot to my home, the strap on the truck failed and the box fell over on its side. Zero damage to the insides. It’s almost an art to how well it’s packaged.

I have had speakers with exposed tweeters and phase plug, no grilles and they know how to package it safely.

For used gear, they test everything, do a last minute double check before shipping it out and provide a warranty (though it involves shipping back to them).

The ordering process is weird. You basically order and then they get back to you in a day or two with the shipping costs and then give you a few days to accept or not. If you accept, you follow a payment link or wire money to them. Shipping small stuff seems expensive but big stuff isn’t bad. Hard to predict actually. Just think of “ordering” as putting it on hold.

——
The older Accuphase’s can be converted to 117V with a jumper but I don’t think the newer ones can.

I have never had trouble with customs and HiFiDo has always used proper documentation where the listed value with customs is what you paid. None of this “gift” or $50 value for a $1500 purchase which could lead to customs issues.

I think it is factored into the shipping fees with UPS or FedEx.

I only have good things to say about HiFiDo and the USD/YEN exchange rate is particularly favorable right now. Lots of interesting vintage and new speakers.

Buying new is tricky. I have never bought anything super expensive from Japan. Apparently Audiocubes has a good reputation. Note that Accuphase will only service if you buy it properly from the distributor in your country. AudioCubes, while they are in business, handles the forwarding.

I have also used the package forwarding service Buyee.jp. This lets you bid on items a Yahoo Japan Auctions. I have not used to ship extremely fragile stuff but they have a “protective packaging” option and l would definitely trust them for anything with original packaging because they do recognize the need for freight, etc.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was the value over $800? The seller told me that when it's over 800 it's when customs will open the box up
Well over $800. :)

Nothing was ever opened up but I do find that HiFiDo is very straight forward on the customs form.

I have actually bought watches from Japan, north of $800 through eBay, and again, the documentation has to be on the up and up, esp. if dealing with crocodile straps, etc.

OP
D

dman777

I did some research.... I would need to hire a custom broker service (safer to use to avoid fines). I would also would need to pay a import duty tax. So, total I am looking about $700.00 in fees, services, and taxes.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A broker? I have only hired one for super expensive things like my Klippel analyzer. Nothing else has required a broker. The carrier, FedEx, UPS, etc. act as your broker for lower cost items like this.

OP
D

dman777

Interesting... the seller as this in their ad:
Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding or buying.

Thank you for your understanding.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
DHL is better for international shipping in my experience of the last few years. As Amir said, the shipping outfit should handle customs for you. I believe the $800 and above level meaning they open the box is correct. Or it was a few years back. I also seem to remember if it is below $800 there is no duty or import tax.

In the past I purchased 2nd hand amps from outside the US (not Japan). Those had to go thru customs. They are said to have opened the box, but I'm not sure they did. Or if so they looked inside and didn't remove anything. It did add a week or so to time receiving the item. So make sure with the seller when your 60 days starts.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did some research.... I would need to hire a custom broker service (safer to use to avoid fines). I would also would need to pay a import duty tax. So, total I am looking about $700.00 in fees, services, and taxes.

If you buy from HiFiDo, it's all taken care of. It's only used goods but very well tested/packaged.
I have had import duties that cost extra paid through UPS when ordering some optical goods from Germany.
I have had FedEx require me to fill out some paperwork including my SSN when them acting as the broker when ordering a pricey Grand Seiko from Japan
On eBay, I have bought optics from Japan with no added fees. But I'm thinking a few thousand, which may be less than what you are paying for a Luxman/Accuphase product.

Have you asked the seller if he has shipped stuff to the US before and if there are fees he is aware of? How expensive is the thing that are you buying?

Top Bottom