• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on Accuphase 800 not powering speakers as good as Luxman?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to be skeptical about YouTube videos and audio. However in my real life experience, it does give a pretty good representation. For instance, I owned the Sonetto II speakers for a while and they did sound like this video

I definitely am curious about class d also. Since I heard class a and fell in love with it at the Hi-Fi shop, I know I like that so starting with that. Especially when the cheaper integrated class A's are no longer on the market, they seem to be discontinued. I would have to go to monoblocks for class a which would be really expensive and not what I want.

But later on, I do plan on trying the techniques r 1000. That's really the only class d I would ever go for.
Speaker differences are much much bigger than amp differences soo some of it may survive the YouTube process, but it’s still not that good imho

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was set on buying the Luxman 595 aes amp. Then I saw this youtube video comparing the Luxman 595 to the Accuphase E-650. I found I liked the Accuphase E 650 sound more. Then I was considering the E-650 instead. But then I found this other video where the guy compared the Luxman 590 AXii to the Accuphase E-800. Now, these are not exactly the same amps but pretty close because the Luxman 595 is a later iteration of the 590 and the Accuphase E-800 is a later iteration of the 650. Bot class A and same specs.

What are your thoughts about the guy saying that the Accuphase had a hard time driving his speakers while the Luxman had no issues? Being they are the same watts and class A. That kind of scares me of buying the Accuphase E-650 now even though I think (from that video) I would like the E-650 more (more balanced where I might not get fatigued).
So just what was it that makes you lean one way or the other in what are not particularly impressive amps?

OP
D

dman777

So just what was it that makes you lean one way or the other in what are not particularly impressive amps?
When I heard the luxeman 590axii, I love how the vocals were so foward and how lively the sound was. I liked it better than the luxman 509z I heard to ab test it. The vocals were not as foward. It was the same Wilson speakers used in the audio shop to ab test. Can't tell you the model but the guy told me they cost 20 grand.

Why do you mention that these are particularly not impressive amps? Is there a consensus where everyone likes one amp?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I heard the luxeman 590axii, I love how the vocals were so foward and how lively the sound was. I liked it better than the luxman 509z I heard to ab test it.

Why do you mention that these are particularly not impressive amps? Is there a consensus where everyone likes one amp?
Because they are well spec'd amps and shouldn't have the type of frequency response problems you indicate, let alone odd descriptions like only a vocal section of the frequency response being different or particular audio effects as you mention (e.g. as neutral would be far more important), They are more expensive than they're worth in any case IMO. How did you do a proper comparison?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why only that?
Indeed why? As far as I can see, it’s a really poor Class D implementation:

Very badly load dependent frequency response, so lack of post filter feedback. Only about a 78 SINAD, worse at high frequency, and much worse at low impedance. For that kind of money I would expect SOTA performance, not something a 100$ Chinese amp could best (except for power).

DanielT

Major Contributor
Speaking of looks. Modern amplifiers with vintage looks have become popular. Many of them also have modern functions (digital inputs for example)
Some examples: :)

Leak Stereo 230: 2 x 75 W (8 ohms); 2 x 115 W (4 ohms) class AB.
b8b69a3-7c5e-4aa0-a927-9c56f30a4398.jpg

Here appropriate regarding looks together with speakers with retro vintage looks, Wharfedale Linton 85th Heritage:
f9bf195-0013-48c7-b157-5122b2d4ed47.jpg

____
NAD C 3050: 100 watts into 4 or 8 Ohms. class D:
GFXS4222-JPEG-blog (1).jpg

_____
JBL with a retro package:
The amplifier 120W into 8Ω and 220W per into 4Ω. A class G amplifier (G, that was rare):
20210108212559_JBL-L100SA750Classic75-CESFrontWeb.jpg

____
Technics power amp.
150 W into 4 Ohms. 300 W into 4 Ohms:
tes5.jpg

Very badly load dependent frequency response, so lack of post filter feedback. Only about a 78 SINAD, worse at high frequency, and much worse at low impedance. For that kind of money I would expect SOTA performance, not something a 100$ Chinese amp could best (except for power).
Considering what you linked to and what it showed, I had first studied a test where the Technics Power Amplifier SE-R1 I mentioned above was carried out.If the performance on the Technics SU-R1000 is so bad, how is it on the SE-R1?

Technics Power Amplifier SE-R1 costs $16,999.99. For that price, SOTA regarding results of performed tests and measurements is then a requirement, I think.

Edit:
OT
That was retro amps. But it's nothing compared to the vinyl retro trend. Even here at ASR it fascinates. Which shows, for example, here:

That thread has 153 pages with 3058 posts!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-31_141804.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-31_141804.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor

Yeah, I was wondering, because that Technics is absolute junk. It's remarkable how poor the performance is vs. how much they charge. I loved the brand a few decades ago, too bad they make boat-anchors these days.

Top Bottom