• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Potential New 3.5mm USB-C Dongles & USB DAC/AMPs

Saidera

It is also worth pointing out that the USB A to USB C adapters used to be longer but are becoming shorter such that one becomes concerned whether the requisite resistors or capacitors are actually included in them.
From the left: ALC4042, SHD II, ALC5686, Apple, Meizu, Harber ALC4050, 2 SHDPs, 2 CS4398s.
20210810_155122.jpg

zanny

Hi Saidera, greetings from lockdowned Melbourne.

I got envious of the new Z Fold 3, and was contemplating getting one, but I thought why bother, as my Galaxy S10 is decent enough. But I still wanted a tablet, so I went out and found an old iPad Mini 2 with out of date but still functional iOS, for only $99 at cash converters and the battery is still in excellent condition so I was lucky. Anyway, I want to use a USB DAC dongle to go for walks and listen to my music on my S10 or the iPad using my new Focal Clear headphones.

Check out this new one, Shanling UA2.

1629558113455.png

It's got the same 9038q2m chip as the E1DA 9038D, and I have a Topping D70 with AKM so wanna see if it sounds different (ASR blasphemer - I should be struck down for even thinking such heresy).

https://www.soundphilereview.com/reviews/shanling-ua2-review-13134/
https://hifitrends.com/2021/05/23/shanling-audio-ua2-portable-usb-dac-amp-review-this-85-dac-amp-combo-has-jaw-dropping-power-and-sound I

I wanted to try ordering something from Shenzhen Audio and it's there same price as Aliexpress sale in 2 days, but with faster shipping so I can get it sooner: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...able-usb-dac-amp-cable?variant=39661670367383

Can't believe I now have to spend $25 for a lightning to USB cable to plug into the $99 iPad Mini 2, lol, can't see anything cheaper than this: https://www.minidisc.com.au/fiio-lt-lt1-otg-lightning-to-type-c

Last edited:

Saidera

Welcome aboard zanny!

I think an aborted review of UA2 was posted - has it been updated yet?

Also, you'll come to find that ASR covers diverse interests in audio, engineering etc, applying scientific methods at times to ensure we're as close to the 'truth' if there is such a thing. Regarding your curiosity of whether the DAC chip (or implementation) sounds different, that is totally welcome. There are 'no silly questions' here. At the fundamental level, DAC chips do differ very slightly in how they process data, and also in how much power they can output, as well as how it's been programmed (filters etc). Then implementation (power supply, shielding, whether there is an external amp or not etc) comes into play. Whether subjectively the sound becomes different is anyone's guess. If we trust what engineers who design these devices tend to say, then sure, the sound does change. Measurements made by amirm are not always the comprehensive suite of all possible measurement types, so here we're just making sure that the device doesn't have fatal flaws which would make it 'not recommended'. Also, knowing the measurements can help a buyer choose the right adapter suitable for their own gear, without having to trial them in a store - since most of them are not sold locally. That said, theoretically there should be no major difference in sound between two dacs with the same values for all measurement types, and subjective listener's testing cannot disprove this presumption beyond reasonable doubt.

On ASR, this thread is the rough equivalent of the 'find the best' head-fi 3.5 mm dongle thread, where any adapter related discussion can take place. However, we're just interested in 'potential new' adapters not 'find the best' adapter. There's also an active community of familiar members who contribute across all adapter threads which is great.

Ultimately, future USB DAC amplifiers/audio dongles/adapters could replace desktop players and recorders.

Saidera

Many Thanks to a member who told me about a 'potential new' adapter: JCALLY JM30 CS43198.

They told me that it's the first small dongle (like Meizu/apple type ones) with CS43198...

No mention of what amp it's using though. I don't expect JCALLY to implement Direct DSD mode (CS43198's only appeal to me) either...

zanny

I've received the Shanling UA2, and can definitely tell of the difference in the audio quality when plugged into my Galaxy S10+ smartphone and playing MP3 files via Blackplayer.

It does get warm, but not hot. I'm now wondering if I should get a balanced headphone cable for my Focal Clear. I am still using stock cables, so was planning on getting a custom dual 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, but would prefer in invest in one decent cable. Are there any 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapters?

zanny

Sorry zek to be more clear, I want to buy one good custom cable, like the one in your image, but then find an adaptor that would allow me to plug that 4.4mm end into a 3.5mm jack directly, or 6.3mm into my amp.

RHO

Major Contributor
Something like this?

Top Bottom