• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Which part of the World do you live in ?

• Africa

Votes: 7 0.4%
  • Asia

Votes: 142 7.2%
  • Europe

Votes: 982 49.7%
  • North America

Votes: 727 36.8%
  • South America

Votes: 33 1.7%
  • Oceania

Votes: 85 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you do Stoke-on-Trent a disservice.
Not so sure, the picture he posted is fairly representative :D.

The thing is you live here long enough you get to like it that way, and when you go to other cities they all seem a bit too Disneyfied.

This is the bit I live in, does not looks so bad on a sunny day (which is rare) and from a distance:

World famous A500 'D Road' running on the right from top to bottom.

I'm originally from here (almost literally I was born over to the right hand side and back a bit).:

diablo

Forum Donor
I actually liked the non-pretentious photo. And the weather looked like a genuine British weather :)
I dunno if it is due to climate change but the British weather seems to look like that a lot more often these days. That's been the norm this winter, interspersed with the odd bitter-cold sunny day. :)

DanielT

Major Contributor
I actually liked the non-pretentious photo. And the weather looked like a genuine British weather :)

I live in Dubai currently. And this is my new ride. Low HP but big tank. (my photo)

View attachment 344294
It has its point in showing all possible sides. The rougher pictures if they have some artistic finesse in that case.

Here is a picture taken without any mention of finesse. A shopping area in Linköping, Sweden. Shops and snow that melts and mixes with gravel so it looks dirty. It's just a boring picture of a moment in everyday life.
IMG_20240123_133545.jpg

By the way, I liked your picture on the other hand.:)

Check the white stretch in the foreground of the picture.

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, unfortunately I don't. I lived here 18 years. I can't wait to move out. Should happen soon.
Almost any place/city got its good and bad. Stoke is mostly bad.
18 years is nothing, I've got 34 in. After about 25 years you get to like the post-industrial dereliction and the crumbling Victoriana. Yes, it rains all the time but we're not made of sugar.

Liya

Not so sure, the picture he posted is fairly representative :D.

The thing is you live here long enough you get to like it that way, and when you go to other cities they all seem a bit too Disneyfied.

This is the bit I live in, does not looks so bad on a sunny day (which is rare) and from a distance:

World famous A500 'D Road' running on the right from top to bottom.

I'm originally from here (almost literally I was born over to the right hand side and back a bit).:

Didn't know we have any other forum members from Stoke.

Liya

18 years is nothing, I've got 34 in. After about 25 years you get to like the post-industrial dereliction and the crumbling Victoriana. Yes, it rains all the time but we're not made of sugar.
As a documentary photographer I have made a few good stories here in Stoke. It can be 'picturesque', depending how you look at it.
btw. my picture was taken from one of the windows of Staffs Uni building. I could take another picture from a different window of - say - Catalyst Hi-Tech cool building looking at Science Building. But that would not represent the city accurately.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has its point in showing all possible sides. The rougher pictures if they have some artistic finesse in that case.

Here is a picture taken without any mention of finesse. A shopping area in Linköping, Sweden. Shops and snow that melts and mixes with gravel so it looks dirty. It's just a boring picture of a moment in everyday life.
That is the worst thing about snow. I love snow in the forest, or in field, all white and clean. But in a city, it immediately turns into a large pile of watery mud. Miss snow, don't miss that.

I dunno if it is due to climate change but the British weather seems to look like that a lot more often these days. That's been the norm this winter, interspersed with the odd bitter-cold sunny day. :)
Summer is still the best two weeks of the year then? :)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't know we have any other forum members from Stoke.
There's just us I think :)

I think your original pic got it spot on.

It was loads better years ago with all the factories still working. Like going back in time to the 1950s. But they've knocked so many of the interesting buildings and streets down now, and replaced it with modern bland tat. Or in some places, nothing at all.

Lukasjr

Groningen (Netherlands). The street in which I live now. The picture was taken in 1928 when the distribution radio's were delivered.

Attachments

• distributie-radio-draadomroep-1928--1785_29001.jpg
    distributie-radio-draadomroep-1928--1785_29001.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 70

AndreaB

Forum Donor
I see many Italians on ASR, very good!
Now I make the "French cousins" angry....
In my small TOWN we produce little audio but a lot....

Melbourne_GP_2022_Race-Winner_Charles-Leclerc_Second-placed_Sergio_Perez_Third-placed_George-R...jpg

AndreaB

Forum Donor
Strange, I would have said that italian audiophiles are among the major haters of ASR..:rolleyes:
It does not seem...
Italy is not just Pizza and Mandolin

Wizard509

Forum Donor
Northwest Florida, U.S.A. - about 40 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico. The driveway is about a 1/4 mile long. It is about the same distance to the closest neighbor. The elevation increases about 120 feet from the road to the house.
2081 Kent Road - TIGHT.jpg
The image shows about 27 acres. The property includes 240 acres and is surrounded by another 450 acres or so of pine forest.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, unfortunately I don't. I lived here 18 years. I can't wait to move out. Should happen soon.
Almost any place/city got its good and bad. Stoke is mostly bad.
I'll admit I wouldn't choose to move there from here.

Top Bottom