• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

“The Sensible Sound” magazine the ASR forum of pre-internet days?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I see sadly that Anthony Cordesman has just left the building. I really enjoyed his stuff.
Really, where?
He just reviewed the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC for the most recent Feb 2024 TAS

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see sadly that Anthony Cordesman has just left the building. I really enjoyed his stuff.

I posted it on the ASR obit section after I saw it here. I didn't know it. I always enjoyed his Audio magazine material, even as I never took it too seriously. But I guess he heard what he heard.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I posted it on the ASR obit section after I saw it here. I didn't know it. I always enjoyed his Audio magazine material, even as I never took it too seriously. But I guess he heard what he heard.
So it is, I see it made it to the wikipedia already.
After some 50++ years of reading a mans work you start to feel as if you know him. His writings in the days of Audio seemed much more credible than the later TAS work. In any case it still seems as if we lost a member of the family, if not a "black sheep". ;)
RIP Anthony.

Last edited:

Eric Natural

Both Aczel & I had the same reference loudspeakers for a time, Monitor Audio Studio 6s. I bought them on his recco : = )
They were my second set from MA, I had(& just kick myself for giving them away) R700s in rosewood. Still have the Studio 6s however. Sound great.

Byrdsmaniac

Both Aczel & I had the same reference loudspeakers for a time, Monitor Audio Studio 6s. I bought them on his recco : = )
They were my second set from MA, I had(& just kick myself for giving them away) R700s in rosewood. Still have the Studio 6s however. Sound great.
Because of a favorable review in Sensible Sound of the Monitor Audio Gold 10 two way speaker I went to check those out when I was in the market for new speakers. In the same room, the Silver 8i four driver three ways at the same price sounded even better and played louder with deeper bass, so I eventually got a pair of those. This was more than 20 years ago and the Silver 8is are still in my living room system. I have not heard anything good enough to replace them. The money I've saved by not 'upgrading' has gone to concert tickets and vacations instead.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Never really bothered with audio magazines, mainly because they just seemed to be shills. What Hi-fi was one I did read through, usually in a doctor's surgery waiting to be seen. Wasn't really impressed, next appointment was back to the National Geographic, and in very desperate times Good Housekeeping.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody else out there who used T$S as their “bible” for finding gear back in the day? They had a real knack for finding things they punched well above their weight. It as a different game in pre-internet days…

I was a devoted reader of $ensible Sound and kept back issues for many years.

David Rich did remarkable teardown reviews of gear.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IIRC Winslow Burhoe was the designer of the original EPI/Epicure line of loudspeakers. The EPI 100 was an outstanding bookshelf at an affordable price. The magnificent M1000 (an omnidirectional design ) was one of the best speakers I have ever heard. Much later he was involved in ZVOX.

The EPI 100 was the first speaker pair I ever bought.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seeing a reference to turntables, am almost afraid to admit to buying a Systemdek IX turntable solely on basis of T$S review, but see that was pretty well received by a number of sources and not all that obscure:

And I bought the Systemdek IIX, probably based on such reviews.

Reminds me I must get around to selling it here soon..

egellings

Major Contributor
Never really bothered with audio magazines, mainly because they just seemed to be shills. What Hi-fi was one I did read through, usually in a doctor's surgery waiting to be seen. Wasn't really impressed, next appointment was back to the National Geographic, and in very desperate times Good Housekeeping.
A magazine, now defunct, The Audio Critic by Peter Aczel, took no prisoners. If a product underperformed, he made no bones about calling it out.

egellings

Major Contributor
Aczel like to use the word 'tweako' to describe an audiophile whose beliefs did not conform to his.

amicusterrae

Aczel like to use the word 'tweako' to describe an audiophile whose beliefs did not conform to his.
I still have my collection of The Audio Critic back issues and enjoy going back through them from time to time. Fortunately, all can be downloaded free online: https://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/audio_critic_down.htm. So much of what cycles through this forum and elsewhere was addressed by Aczel. His tone was quite strident, and particularly in later years, he seemed to be completely exasperated by how much the tweakos had come to dominate audio reproduction.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I owned the M400's for a while in the mid-'70's which were M1000's with smaller woofers.
Me too! Mine were branded as "Epicure".

I bought them used. They were trade-ins that I rescued from an abusive relationship with a store that was doing speaker comparisons without adjusting the volume control to compensate for the low efficiency of the M400's. Despite being MUCH lower in volume level than the store's house brand, they still sounded way better. So I probably did the store a favor by getting them out of there.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I still have my collection of The Audio Critic back issues and enjoy going back through them from time to time. Fortunately, all can be downloaded free online: https://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/audio_critic_down.htm. So much of what cycles through this forum and elsewhere was addressed by Aczel. His tone was quite strident, and particularly in later years, he seemed to be completely exasperated by how much the tweakos had come to dominate audio reproduction.
Back in the day, Peter was my guiding light. Like ASR today, it was one of the very few voices available that kept us
informed of the "real" truth. He saved many of us from following the lunney tunes writers over the cliff of subjective fantasy
evaluation. Seriously one of the "good guys".
RIP Peter Aczel !

OP
J

jim1274

Forum Donor
IIRC Winslow Burhoe was the designer of the original EPI/Epicure line of loudspeakers. The EPI 100 was an outstanding bookshelf at an affordable price. The magnificent M1000 (an omnidirectional design ) was one of the best speakers I have ever heard. Much later he was involved in ZVOX.

I just came across this kit to build your own M1000:

egellings

Major Contributor
I heard that speaker (EPI 1000) at a hi-fi store in Milwaukee WI called Wack's a long time ago. The bass was amazing.

OP
J

jim1274

Forum Donor
I heard that speaker (EPI 1000) at a hi-fi store in Milwaukee WI called Wack's a long time ago. The bass was amazing.

That was the wrong link for the kit (although there was a link-through there)—correct one:

If these things weren’t so darn heavy, I’d really be tempted to build a pair. I’ve tested (and liked) my Duevel Omnis outside on the deck, only problem was they didn’t have the SPL capability for that use. Bet these would fix that problem.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it has not been linked before, clicking below will take anyone interested to some Sensible Sound issues. Text only. For some reason the link says 'access blocked', but it should work.

Top Bottom