• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk Reserve R200: Spinorama and measurements (a really nice surprise!)

Venkyrenga

Smooth, I get it. Rich and organic, I have no Idea what these mean. ;) The R200 will me brighter than the ELAC :
View attachment 339054
View attachment 339055

Then, the wider directivity of the UBR62 could be a problem.
By rich I meant a very pleasant sound and by organic I meant a very natural sound.

I thought the front port of elac would be an advantage since it is going near a corner. I also heard reports of r200 being boomy if placed close to the wall. Btw my room has moderate acoustic treatment with bass traps in the back wall and acoustic panels in the first reflection points.

Venkyrenga

How is the vertical and horizontal dispersion in R200? I sometimes listen to music while moving around in my room. Does the r200 lose a lot of its quality in that case. My current speakers elac db6.2 have very good vertical and horizontal dispersion, and loses little when I move away from the sweet spot.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Smooth, I get it. Rich and organic, I have no Idea what these mean. ;) The R200 will be brighter than the ELAC :
That is interesting. Because the plain-vanilla R200, at least, is quite not bright. :)

No one would want to buy an unpleasant or unnatural sound.
And yet Bowers & Wilkins continues (successfully) to sell loudspeakers, by all appearances.
:cool:

fflegault

Sorry for the newbie question but considering I have a stereo setup of Polk R200 with a CXA61 integrated amp and SVS SB-1000, at what frequency should I set the subwoofer crossover ? F3/51Hz ?

Rick63

The CXA61 does not have bass management, so in effect you'll be running your R200s full range. Therefore the crossover in your sub will only determine the highest frequency it will reproduce. I have a similar setup and 70Hz works best to help blend it with my Dynaudio BM5 MKIII monitors.

fflegault

The CXA61 does not have bass management, so in effect you'll be running your R200s full range. Therefore the crossover in your sub will only determine the highest frequency it will reproduce. I have a similar setup and 70Hz works best to help blend it with my Dynaudio BM5 MKIII monitors.
The reason why I am asking it’s because i have seen around many “rules”. Some people say subwoofer crossover should be set at F3, F3+10, 0,7*F3, 1,5*F9, from 80, etc. I guess there is no official rule that returns the best possible results with an amplifier that doesn’t have bass management. One must try.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
The reason why I am asking it’s because i have seen around many “rules”. Some people say subwoofer crossover should be set at F3, F3+10, 0,7*F3, 1,5*F9, from 80, etc. I guess there is no official rule that returns the best possible results with an amplifier that doesn’t have bass management. One must try.
I'd agree there is no rule whatsoever.
We actually there is my rule that runing monitors full range is a bad idea if you plan to listen loudly. High passing protects them from over excursion and that subwoofer could mask the speakers being over driven.
With many variables involved, I think somewhere between 60-100hrz is a smart High pass for a 6.5" woofer.
But If you can't HP you can't and at modest SPLs or with some beefy mains not really an issue.

With or without bass management, I generally find you ought to measure to find the best match. Listening is pointless for most folks unless you already have heard plenty of well measuring set-ups, even then measure. Use REW and a microphone and take 'moving microphone method' samples (not sweeps)of a listening window about 2feet wide by 18" tall. See what gives the best in room blend given all the variables for your space.
These include personal preferences, massive effects from distances from boundaries, boundary reinforcement, boundary interference nulls, room modes, listening position relative to speakers and boundaries, and even desired playback level as audible bass increases in perceived SPL faster than the midrange. So increasing from 80-90db is about double the perceived output in the mids but increasing from 80 to about 85/86db is perceived as about double in the bass. The right blend may be very, very different from any 'rule'.

Top Bottom