• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Speaker Review

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Are you going to be selling any of these? I'd sign up for a set right now.
That's the plan, Stan. I sure don't need any more speakers. I do want to make sure of my supply chain, however. Right now Parts Express is out of the Vifa tweeters and isn't expecting any more until almost February. It looks like Madisound has them, but I want to make sure before I take any orders. I'll try and find out by Monday.

That's the plan, Stan. I sure don't need any more speakers. I do want to make sure of my supply chain, however. Right now Parts Express is out of the Vifa tweeters and isn't expecting any more until almost February. It looks like Madisound has them, but I want to make sure before I take any orders. I'll try and find out by Monday.

The minute you have a waitlist set up, let me know and I'll put down a deposit. I don't mind waiting as long as necessary for delivery. I've been wanting to mod a pair based on your design, but having a toddler has filled up all of my project time.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Madisound has the Vifa tweeters, and I have 3 pairs of the Newegg BS22's on order, arriving next week. Two are spoken for, there's one left. See my post here for details: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ordable-accuracy-monitor-review.13624/page-16

seadogbiscuit

Forum Donor
I have just finished the BS22 Dennis Murphy conversion and 2020 is ending on a good note! The BS22's have turned into an excellent nearfield speaker!
I need to give a "Shout Out" to Rick Sykora at Sykora Solutions,LLC, who helped me out with the crossovers!
This was my first attempt at modding a pair of speakers and Dennis's instructions are easy to follow and complete.
Rick responded to my plea for help with the crossovers. In just a couple of weeks, Rick studied the design, ordered the parts and assembled a pair of crossovers for me. I will dis-assemble soon and add pictures. I bought several pair's at Newegg and the conversion is well worth it.
Thanks Rick! and Dennis!
Happy New Year to all!
Bill

Maiky76

Hi,

Here is my take on the EQ for @jade who asked for it.

The raw data with corrected ER and PIR:

Score no EQ: 4.98 not bad all things considered
With Sub: 7.53

Spinorama with no EQ:
  • Not very smooth
  • Directivity could be better especially since there is some type of waveguide used.
  • Could probably do with better internal damping (rock/mineral wool) as many sharp peaks in the FR can be traced back in the impedance
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR No EQ Spinorama.png

Directivity:
Better stay at tweeter height
Horizontally, better toe-in the speakers by 10/20deg and have the axis crossing in front of the listening location, might help dosing the upper range.
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR LW Better data.png

EQ design:
I have generated two EQs. The APO config files are attached.
  • The first one, labelled, Score 1 is targeted at minimal EQ
  • The second, labelled Score 2, yes original I know, starts with the first one and adds two biquads to optimize the score further.
  • No attempt was made to boost the LF as it just doesn't make sense unless the listening level is kept very low.
Score EQ Score 1: 5.78
with sub: 8.25

Score EQ Score 2: 5.86
with sub: 8.32

Code:
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR APO EQ Score 1 96000Hz
February262021-104905

Preamp: -1.9 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 1139.5 Hz Gain -2.05 dB Q 1.54
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 2469 Hz Gain -2.48 dB Q 2.93
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 8084 Hz Gain 1.95 dB Q 5.7

Pioneer SP-BS22 LR APO EQ Score 2 96000Hz
February262021-104546

Preamp: -1.7 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 1149 Hz Gain -1.95 dB Q 1.67
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 2486 Hz Gain -2.28 dB Q 2.37
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 3903.5 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 3.24 -> need to be carefully evaluated
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 8084 Hz Gain 1.95 dB Q 5.7
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 11475 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2.53

If you want to play louder and/or decrease chances of bottoming the Woofer you may add the following High-Pass filter:
Code:
For EQ Score 1
Filter 4: ON HPQ Fc 45 Hz Gain -0.00 dB Q 0.80

For EQ Score 2
Filter 6: ON HPQ Fc 45 Hz Gain -0.00 dB Q 0.80

The score are the same (within 0.01...)
this results in -3dB @40Hz and -10dB @25Hz but no changes above 60Hz.

Pioneer SP-BS22 LR EQ Design.png

Spinorama EQ Score 1
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR Score 1 EQ Spinorama.png

Spinorama EQ Score 2
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR Score 2 EQ Spinorama.png

Zoom PIR-LW-ON
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR Zoom.png

Regression - Tonal no big shift
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR Regression - Tonal.png

Radar no EQ vs EQ score
Nice if not spectacular improvements, credit to the designer
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR Radar.png

The rest of the plots is attached.

Attachments

• Pioneer SP-BS22 LR APO EQ Score 1 96000Hz.txt
    226 bytes · Views: 123
  • Pioneer SP-BS22 LR APO EQ Score 2 96000Hz.txt
    316 bytes · Views: 112
  • Pioneer SP-BS22 LR 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    Pioneer SP-BS22 LR 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Pioneer SP-BS22 LR 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    Pioneer SP-BS22 LR 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    476.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Pioneer SP-BS22 LR 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    Pioneer SP-BS22 LR 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    461.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Pioneer SP-BS22 LR Normalized Directivity data.png
    Pioneer SP-BS22 LR Normalized Directivity data.png
    444.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Pioneer SP-BS22 LR Raw Directivity data.png
    Pioneer SP-BS22 LR Raw Directivity data.png
    752 KB · Views: 89
  • Pioneer SP-BS22 LR Reflexion data.png
    Pioneer SP-BS22 LR Reflexion data.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Pioneer SP-BS22 LR LW data.png
    Pioneer SP-BS22 LR LW data.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Blank Verse

I think Pioneer might have discontinued these. I got them last year for a mere pittance (I believe $78 shipped from Amazon) and I use them as my computer speakers connected to a cheap but capable FOSI amp. They are very enjoyable to listen to. I don't find them thin, and I don't miss the bass. To me they sound natural. I also have the Sony SS-B1000, which I find to have a more airy high end probably due to the supertweeter those ones have, and also probably slightly more bass impact. The first week or so I found the SP-BS22-LR a little dull coming from the Sonys, but now I feel they are more natural and an excellent desktop speaker. I have mine about 4 feet apart, angled at 45 degrees towards me and the illusion of soundstage is pretty good.

On the build quality note, I agree with Amir that they are spectacular for the price, and actually have a very nice design, mix of retro with the curved front grills and modern (with the curved case).

Some people take off the grills I believe to get slightly more high end. Also, you shouldn't place this too close to a wall on the back due to the air ports.

luft262

Thanks again Amir! Now I wish he could review the SP FS-52's! Basically, the big brother tower speaker to the above!

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks again Amir! Now I wish he could review the SP FS-52's! Basically, the big brother tower speaker to the above!
Are those even available anymore? I modded both the 22's and the 52's, plus the C22, and the 52 was the worst of the bunch. The tweeter was all over the place and had the strongest coloration of the 3 speakers. And they didn't really go very low. I don't think they would be worth Amir's time, particularly if they're out of production.

Blank Verse

Are those even available anymore? I modded both the 22's and the 52's, plus the C22, and the 52 was the worst of the bunch. The tweeter was all over the place and had the strongest coloration of the 3 speakers. And they didn't really go very low. I don't think they would be worth Amir's time, particularly if they're out of production.
I don't think even the SP-BS22-LR are available anymore. Amazon hasn't had stock of these for a few months now I think, which makes me feel very good I got them last year, as they are really nice speakers.

usernaim250

If anyone thinks a pair of Klipsch sounds better than these Pioneers, something is broken.
These speakers are not great. But they are great for what they are. At $79 you can plop them in a secondary system, or recommend them to a non-audiophile friend so they can get truly decent sound. They aren't harsh, the crossover is much cleaner than most near this price, voices sound pretty good, they are musical and they won't sound awful. That's a pretty good trick.

Of course your ADS L400s, which cost more than the Pioneers back in the 1980s, and would be pushing $1,000 today, or any number of old speakers you can pick up on craigslist for $25-$50 will sound better. The $300 in the early 1990s Mirages I gave a friend (to save him from his Klipsch's some magazine said sounded good)--yes, better than these $79 boxes, and yes, I paid $35. The $800 Kefs I grabbed for $85 for another friend, much much better. But for someone without knowledge of the market or the time to wait for a nice bargain to come around, these are perfect.

arpinnurmela

It does look like these are no longer being manufactured by O&P (Onkyo). I believe that these speakers deserved every bit of the hype they received when they first came out. I first purchased a pair at around $70 back in 2017 to build an office system for my wife. I paired them with a (now discontinued) 15W tube hybrid AB Monoprice amp (which sounded way better than the 25W amp that Monoprice was and still is selling - I bought both to compare). The result was as described, extremely neutral, very musical. Positively remarkable for the money. And in a near-field position, they truly shine, as the bass roll off is less noticeable. If used in a stand mount setup (or on a credenza) as a main listening system, they will not perform at the same level that they do in near-field listening without augmenting with at least one subwoofer (think two to nail the sound). If paired with two of the Pioneer subs, they do bring a lot to the table and could be an interesting way to go. BUT, for 2-channel budget playback, I don't think they are the best way to go, principally because the budget amp quality is so poor. In addition to the Monoprice 15W tube hybrid, I own a Chinese made Breeze audio LM1875 with toroid. The LM1875 offers a strong step up in SQ over the Monoprice 15W hybrid, and a massive step up from the Monoprice 25W hybrid (no comparison despite the cheaper price of a LM1875 - you just need to get comfortable ordering off of AliExpress and having communication issues with people only fluent in Chinese which is crudely translated by AliExpress). So if on a tight budget <$200, if you can grab a used pair of BS22 for <$100, and you are brave enough to order straight from China and wait around a month to get your product, you can assemble a killer budget system with these.

Yes, the Elac Debuts are simply better in every way. Lower bass response, more transparent throughout the audio spectrum, and a more "hifi" sound. In many ways, I don't think they compare at all, but given that these Pioneers come in at such a low price point, I don't think there's much to complain about, especially when partnered with a high quality budget amplifier like the LM1875 or a LM3886. But if you want to pair these BS22 with a US market amplifier that retails for ~$100, then I have a strong feeling you will be disappointed. These uber entry level Pioneer BS22 almost seem to demand quality power. My guess is that AJ had it in mind that these would be paired with a quality receiver or quality budget integrated. I don't think he had tube hybrids or class D silliness in mind when he voiced these. And I'd definitely say the exact same applies to the FS52 as well - these floor standers really seem to be designed for a very entry level integrated over a receiver. When I've played the BS22 or FS52 on my main hifi, they definitely come life, while retaining much of their "sound", and they don't seem to pass through all of the detail that my hifi system offers, but I wouldn't expect them to do so at their price points. The FS52 would make for an excellent budget hifi system as they are extraordinarily musical. No, they aren't the last word in detail or soundstage, but honestly most of the <$1k speakers are not impressive sounding to my ears, except for the Elacs.

I was so deeply impressed that I decided to purchase an entire Pioneer theater system built around the floor standers, 2x 8" Pioneer subs, center channel, and these bookshelves. I paired them with the Pioneer LX101 7.2 receiver. I was tempted to sell my floor standers and replace them with the bookshelves, as the bookshelves did a killer job in the front left/right position, but I figured that the hassle of selling floor standers would be more difficult than just keeping them. Yes, the floor standers definitely drive a more substantial sound, but I'm not certain that they are a better sound. AJ created a very cohesive sounding entry level theater package that punches way above the price point. I think I was able to purchase the entire theater system for well under $1k, including the receiver and the extra subwoofer. Remarkably musical and fantastic for a more realistic vocal presentation. I auditioned a number of other budget and mid hifi systems that failed to achieve the kind of balance and neutrality that these entry level Pioneers are able to create. What's enjoyable about these Pioneers is that they perform so strongly together without overburdening the listener with the inherent shoddiness of Dolby Digital (which is what most streaming arrives as).

But alas, these speakers will likely not be returning. At the moment used copies of these speakers are going for far too much money. But if you can find a used pair of BS22 for <$100 or FS52 for <$200, and you need a budget system for a room in which you want music to sound like music without spending 2-5x, then definitely, 100% buy these speakers. Yes, they are not as good as the Elacs. Nope. But then again the Elacs are aimed at different usage cases, i.e. higher end gear. What AJ did with these Pioneers was to create a bargain basement speaker that neither sounds nor looks bargain basement. When paired with a budget integrated or mid level receiver, you get killer performance relative to price and pretty much all other speakers minus the Elacs.

sully

This thread and other reviews on ASR were hugely helpful in my decision to get these speakers.

For the past couple weeks, I have been looking into setting up an audio system for listening to records and watching TV. My budget is near the bottom of the market and I have very little technical audio understanding. I wanted to get the best speakers I could for my budget, but the range of choices and all the technical specifications is really pretty dizzying. Before I found the ASR forums, I read a bunch of moderately helpful articles with titles like, "The 10 Best Budget Speakers for Vinyl", etc. or looked at product reviews on retailers website (not that helpful and probably pretty selectively positive). I eventually narrowed my list down to 3 speakers that fit my budget and that I could pick up from Craigslist or nearby electronics stores in the next couple days. While searching for reviews I came across the ASR forums and found detailed reviews of each of my candidates.

The review of the Sony SSCS5 mentioned these Pioneer speakers, so they got added to the list under consideration and from my read of the reviews, the Pioneers seemed like they might be the best option among the 4 choices. I found the Polk on CL for $75, the Klipsch at Newegg for $140, the Sonys at Best Buy for $150 and the Pioneers on CL for $60. The choice seemed clear, but I wouldn't have known had it not been for the detailed reviews and comments in these threads (particularly, from @amirm and @MZKM). The forums were like a public service for me, kinda like the time I thought I had bedbugs, but found an insect identification web forum that was able to tell me the bugs were just book lice!

Thanks everyone!

arpinnurmela

A simple $15 upgrade that utterly transforms and elevates the Pioneer BS22. The drivers and crossover are eminently accessible. So I opened up the speaker and replaced all of the stranded wire with air gapped solid copper 16ga. The woofer had 18ga wire and the tweeter had 22ga as stock.

The difference is much more powerful mids and lows and an effortless top end. The final product sounds like a high end speaker with just a $15 materials input and a bit of time.

Warning: the crossover inputs need to be carefully unsoldered and it is easy to rip the contact points. I did rip the contact points for the input wires coming from the banana jacks. I was able to use a simple knife however to scrape away some surface to expose the bare copper substrate underneath. I then soldered my 16ga copper wire directly to the copper substrate. Just make sure that you do it so that the substrate is on the same substrate as the original contact point. Each positive and negative substrate is separated from each other.

No need to replace any resistor, inductor, or capacitor to get excellent sound out the of the BS22. You can get it just by doing a wire replacement using solid copper. The final sound elevates this entry level Andrew Jones speaker to a viable Elac competitor and I believe makes this bookshelf sound like a reference version of itself. Incredible.

I’ve since done this same rewiring for my FS52 floorstanders! And holy cow do they hit so much cleaner and harder. Unbelievable. I’ve also replaced the one run of stranded wire inside both of my 8” AJ subs and it feels like they play at least 5dB lower.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about this very easy upgrade.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
A simple $15 upgrade that utterly transforms and elevates the Pioneer BS22. The drivers and crossover are eminently accessible. So I opened up the speaker and replaced all of the stranded wire with air gapped solid copper 16ga. The woofer had 18ga wire and the tweeter had 22ga as stock.

The difference is much more powerful mids and lows and an effortless top end. The final product sounds like a high end speaker with just a $15 materials input and a bit of time.

Warning: the crossover inputs need to be carefully unsoldered and it is easy to rip the contact points. I did rip the contact points for the input wires coming from the banana jacks. I was able to use a simple knife however to scrape away some surface to expose the bare copper substrate underneath. I then soldered my 16ga copper wire directly to the copper substrate. Just make sure that you do it so that the substrate is on the same substrate as the original contact point. Each positive and negative substrate is separated from each other.

No need to replace any resistor, inductor, or capacitor to get excellent sound out the of the BS22. You can get it just by doing a wire replacement using solid copper. The final sound elevates this entry level Andrew Jones speaker to a viable Elac competitor and I believe makes this bookshelf sound like a reference version of itself. Incredible.

I’ve since done this same rewiring for my FS52 floorstanders! And holy cow do they hit so much cleaner and harder. Unbelievable. I’ve also replaced the one run of stranded wire inside both of my 8” AJ subs and it feels like they play at least 5dB lower.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about this very easy upgrade.
I find this very difficult to believe.

arpinnurmela

I personally wouldn’t have believed it either. I’ve been an audiophile since 1991. I’ve had the chance to sell gear and wires part-time for ten years (for the discount). I’ve also heard $40k wires. And up until 8 months ago, my firm firm belief was that wires mattered but not that much and that they were the least important aspect of a system.

On a whim 8 months back I decided to make a solid silver cable and literally couldn’t believe the sound quality difference. I have 5 stereo systems ranging in price so I went to my $400 bedroom system and started experimenting with solid copper. I opened up my Elac B4 and replaced the wires in that with 16ga copper air gapped in Teflon. I opened up my amplifier and replaced all the signal wire with 22ga solid copper and the output wire to terminals with 16ga copper. I did everything one component at a time so that I could clearly hear differences. After the incredible transformation I heard in resolution and sound quality I started experimenting with my Pioneer speakers and subs for my theater. The difference is unbelievable. So i can’t refute it. I’ve started making custom cables for friends and family and with zero exception now every person I put these cables and rewires into have been blown away.

Having firmly held my own wire beliefs for so many years I totally get it. And I couldn’t even believe it for four months. It’s one of the reasons that I started doing the experiments with one component at a time.

Here is the good news though. You do not have to believe me at all. You can buy 16ga 99.9% copper wire and some 12ga Teflon tubing for very little money and just start trying this out. Warning… don’t. It will mess your mind up and you soon want to do silver wire with solid silver connectors and jacks. And if you think copper sounds good the solid silver sounds a level up. But solid copper wire to copper plated posts and jacks sounds dang close. I know because I’ve tested that one piece at a time. In science, don’t believe, test.

Top Bottom