• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Speaker Review

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know that the tower and center in this series have not been measured here yet. I also don't know much about them, are they raved about like these?
Someone I know was wanting suggestions so I was digging around for relatively inexpensive 5.0/5.1 speaker sets. They have the 5.0 setup (2 towers, 2 of these, and a center) on sale on Pioneers site for $450 right now, which seems like a good deal.
https://www.pioneerhomeusa.com/product/sp-pk52fs-2/
It's also on Amazon for $490, surprisingly from the Pioneer site has free standard shipping too.
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-PK52FS-Theater-Speaker-Package/dp/B00IRH0QMA?th=1
Or they have a 5.1setup for $650, but the 'sub' woofer seems pretty anemic; 8" & '100 watts'. You could probably spend that $150~$200 elsewhere on a sub and get something better.
Just wanted to pass the 5.0 deal along to everyone.

Last edited:

ck42

Forum Donor
I have the C22 center. Would strongly NOT recommend it. Even before reading my first comment online about its performance, I noticed immediately that there was a serious issue with clarity in spoken dialogue (which is pretty much the only thing a center channel does). It has sat unused for the last 2 years.

Trouble Maker

I have the C22 center. Would strongly NOT recommend it. Even before reading my first comment online about its performance, I noticed immediately that there was a serious issue with clarity in spoken dialogue (which is pretty much the only thing a center channel does). It has sat unused for the last 2 years.

Do you have experience with the BS22s, and if so would you consider the C22 much worse than those?

I know we don't have as many centers tested here yet. But my first impression is that it is going to be much harder to find the budget or even reasonably priced darling for a center than for bookshelves. Using the same 3 bookshelves across the front is looking tempting e.g. something like BS22s, the Elac DBR62s or Revel M16s depending on the budget/performance one is targeting. But of course layout is a little harder due to needing to keep the bookshelf vertical.

Some of the KEF centers looks interesting. With the Q250C being a single coax with flanking passive radiators. The Q650C changes one of the passive radiators for an active, so it seems kind of like an R3 turned sideways with a passive radiator in the front. The R3s vertical dispersion looked decent. Then going up to the R2C gets you a full 3 way (center coax with flanking woofers) but still sealed. So with all of them you don't have the MTM center issues, still get the horizontal center layout but no rear port to worry in case you put the thing in a TV stand or up against a wall. These all seem like good things in theory. The Q650C and R2C are quite deep which is not good for the space and layout I'm targeting.

I'm wondering if there is some merit to stepping up 1 setup in a companies lineup for the center. But, that doesn't seem like it would universally work out well since the Pioneer Elite center also tested poorly here.
If we think a 3 way WTMW might be the way to go, so far it seems like you either have the Infinity that has been tested here or you have to setup a lot in price. So you could do the M16s for fronts and rears (or S16s in the rear, but to go 1 setup up and get a 3 way in the Revel lineup you have to the Performa 3 line, C208 at $2k.

Sorry, just rambling a bit about where my brain is going thinking about a 5.x.x setup.

Last edited:

ck42

Forum Donor
I do have the BS22's....now modified. (no longer being used in a surround setup)
IMHO, the C22 doesn't sound as good as the BS22 (the unmodified ones).
Personally, I have a real 'thing' for actually listening to what's being said in movies (jab against the wife there) and so I do place more emphasis on having a good center channel. The center is mostly NOT playing music...so maybe it should be tested a little differently - in the subjective tests. A speaker that sounds good musically may or may not sound best for natural speech.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know we don't have as many centers tested here yet. But my first impression is that it is going to be much harder to find the budget or even reasonably priced darling for a center than for bookshelves. Using the same 3 bookshelves across the front is looking tempting e.g. something like BS22s, the Elac DBR62s or Revel M16s depending on the budget/performance one is targeting. But of course layout is a little harder due to needing to keep the bookshelf vertical.

I agree. For a conventional centre speaker to have any hope of providing acceptable horizontal coverage, it really needs to be a 3-way, whereas budget centre speakers tend (for obvious reasons) to be 2-ways.

LBec

They are also on sale at $99 at Pioneer. I assume that because of the back port there is a problem if I wall mount them, yes?

OldNewt

Thanks for the review Amir. After reading it, I picked up a pair for $99 from Pioneer. I've been listening to them for about 2 weeks now and have to admit that they do sound very good in the nearfield environment. I really did not think a $99 pair of speakers could sound that good.

BTW, great website. I just discovered it recently and have been thoroughly enjoying the reviews and discussions!

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
I had the same problem with the C22 center channel in my living room. This is not my main music system, it's pretty much TV and games only.

Happily, I did find that running Audyssey room correction greatly improved dialogue intelligibility. I'm not exactly sure what voodoo Audyssey does (I think it's a bit more than a simple EQ?) but whatever the case, I've been satisfied enough not to upgrade.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The BS22 is now $79 on sale.
Wait, what?!
They're still available?!?

:eek:

In all seriousness, I had no idea that they were still on the market. They've been around for years.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Wait, what?!
They're still available?!?

:eek:

In all seriousness, I had no idea that they were still on the market. They've been around for years.
Looks like they were released 8 years ago. You never know how long production runs will last.

For example, the Genelec 1032A was produced from 1992-2013 (21 years), and evolved into the 1032B and then the 1032C which is still in production. 28 years is a solid run. Wonder if it's the longest production run of a speaker line?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Looks like they were released 8 years ago. You never know how long production runs will last.

For example, the Genelec 1032A was produced from 1992-2013 (21 years), and evolved into the 1032B and then the 1032C which is still in production. 28 years is a solid run. Wonder if it's the longest production run of a speaker line?
Well, the Klipschorn dates to the late 1940s. The Altec 604 Duplex (now GPA) dates to 1943. The K-horn has been pretty much continuously available (although special order only on occasion); the Duplex was OOP for a while while Altec was in (and slightly past) its death throes.

Quad made their original ESL (the so-called "ESL-57") from 1957 to the mid 1980s.

Lowther "full range" drivers have been around since... forever? Well, at least the 1940s.

Last edited:

weasels

Currently down to $69.99 refurbished and guaranteed by Pioneer with free shipping via eBay.

SP-BS22-LR refurbs from Pioneer via eBay

For what they are (small inexpensive bookshelf speakers) they are a steal for $70. I have a good friend that uses a pair in an office stereo system and for low volume play they're a big step up from most of the crap most people listen to (bluetooth speakers or soundbars they bought at Best Buy).

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
The BS22 is now $79 on sale.
After seeing Amir's train wreck review of the $200/pr Fluance monitors, I was tempted to bring back my mod of the BS22 if I could find closeouts of the stock model anywhere. The $85 Ebay offer at $85 appears to be sold out, but if anyone comes across another attractive deal, please let me know.

dominikz

Forum Donor
After seeing Amir's train wreck review of the $200/pr Fluance monitors, I was tempted to bring back my mod of the BS22 if I could find closeouts of the stock model anywhere. The $85 Ebay offer at $85 appears to be sold out, but if anyone comes across another attractive deal, please let me know.

These are now on Drop for 90$/pair:
https://drop.com/buy/pioneer-andrew-jones-4-2-way-bookshelf-speakers

They also have the center channel and Dolby Atmos versions of these on offer at the moment.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert

They also have the center channel and Dolby Atmos versions of these on offer at the moment.

Thanks very much. I ordered a bunch. It doesn't look like I'll get them before Xmas, though. Given the extra parts I'll need and the labor involved, I probably won't be able to offer them for less than $200/pr.

Top Bottom