• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nordost Tyr 2 Review (USB Cable)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 494 96.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 2.0%

• Total voters

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Relatively low cost for an audiophile item at $495.

After a lot of research and development, here’s how Fidelizer brings high fidelity audio to the air:

-Upgrade Capacitors with high capacitance and low impedance tuned in 3 different stages for optimal sonic performance
-Upgrade Safety resistors with high power from Vishay Dale on DC input stage, power regulation stage, and isolation transformer stage
-Re-energize power supply with special tantalum capacitors to reducing noise and interference in processor chip effectively
-Crystal clock is upgraded with high precision clock optimized for network application with noise reduction tweaks
-Components are soldered with high quality solder providing solid bass and dynamics
-Router is configured for low-latency audiophile streaming applications

Then there is this for $999 of course I think you have to also buy a switch if you want any ethernet routing for an additional $595:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

JSmith

Master Contributor

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning

DonR

Major Contributor
I think this mob has it covered;

View attachment 192945

Yeah... that's right.

JSmith
Typical IT network switches/routers are designed with the sole purpose of taking data from A to B with a noise floor and precision that is "enough" for the rate of transmission. This is fine for data networks but when sensitive components such as DACs and Pre-Amplifiers are involved, it will have an audible impact on sound quality
Someone can't separate the medium from the message.

proxysd

You're not measuring the right thing. USB cables do not change the D/A conversion of your topping DX3 pro. USB cables only impact the timing of usb audio packets, from the computer to the dac. Before the D/A chip.

Ultimately, you cannot see a difference if the dac has a reclocking function. (like all dac with xmos chips).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You're not measuring the right thing. USB cables do not change the D/A conversion of your topping DX3 pro. USB cables only impact the timing of usb audio packets, from the computer to the dac. Before the D/A chip.
That's the whole point, right? The only thing that counts is the DAC output. So if cable A gives the exact same output as cable B, and one is 100x as expensive, guess if it's worth the money...
Ultimately, you cannot see a difference if the dac has a reclocking function. (like all dac with xmos chips).
Not a single self-respecting DAC uses synchronous USB audio anymore, for good reason.

blodsbror

It's far worse than the claims made by the cosmetics industry, and I would never imagine my wife would buy a mascara for $200 bucks, that gives "500% more sexiness".

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s it, I need you on my First Run Copper team.
Here's that challenge from their site, what's the catch?

$1 MILLION CABLE CHALLENGE​

ANTI-CABLE INFLUENCERS​

Anti-cable influencers have stated over and over that cables don't make a difference. They say this without ever using our product. So we are challenging them to PROVE what they say. We're even letting THEM pick testing methodology.

The rules are simple. Any well-known* anti-cable influencer can test our cable using ANY method they like, even in their own home without any supervision from First Run Copper employees. If, after listening to First Run Copper cables against any cable of their choice (yes, even generic), they post a video claiming that our First Run Copper cables aren't the BEST cables they've ever heard, we will give them, or a charity of their choice, $1 million U.S. dollars.

* Well known - YouTube channel with > 20,000 subscribers

DonR

Major Contributor
Here's that challenge from their site, what's the catch?

$1 MILLION CABLE CHALLENGE​

ANTI-CABLE INFLUENCERS​

Anti-cable influencers have stated over and over that cables don't make a difference. They say this without ever using our product. So we are challenging them to PROVE what they say. We're even letting THEM pick testing methodology.

The rules are simple. Any well-known* anti-cable influencer can test our cable using ANY method they like, even in their own home without any supervision from First Run Copper employees. If, after listening to First Run Copper cables against any cable of their choice (yes, even generic), they post a video claiming that our First Run Copper cables aren't the BEST cables they've ever heard, we will give them, or a charity of their choice, $1 million U.S. dollars.

* Well known - YouTube channel with > 20,000 subscribers
ahem... https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/a-new-cable-company-first-run-copper.21687/

I'm looking to cash in on the large number of enthusiasts that have lots of money and are willing to believe anything. I'm looking for investors in my company "First Run Copper" - where we only use copper run through the extrusion process the first time. We will capitalize on the idea that "First pressed olive oil is better, so why wouldn't you want extra virgin copper?" It doesn't really matter that all copper is made the same way, as long as the cable looks the money.

We're going to give a lifetime return policy, with only a 10% restocking fee. The 10% restocking fee will be 10x the cost of making the cable, so just imagine how much we'll make if no one returns it!

Get this cable into the hands of What HiFi, the Audiophiliac and Fremer and we should be able to retire in a year or two.

Jole

$650 per inch / 16 gauge
$725 per inch / 14 gauge
$790 per inch / 12 gauge

This story, this kind of promotion, marketing and support ( beside cinic ones) comments is infestation like troian horse or virus.....antique tragedy of our time

now we go further to political economy....altruism and filantrophy (what is positive) ...dont know what to say but too much for me

This is just my observation, impresion and here i will stop to comment this forever

Last edited:

maarten

Isn't it a big waste of resources to test another cable, power conditioner etc. while by the nature of those products one can predict it does not add any value? You keep testing those whilst at best the outcome is: does no harm (apart from ripping your bank account).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This will never happen, because the same people who are selling the hardware are also selling maybe not the insane $100,000 cables, but the $200 cables with 70% margin on them. Manufacturers don't want to alienate dealers so they're never going to tell the dealers not to push Monster or Audioquest or whatever other "upgrade cable" nonsense the dealers are pushing to pad their bottom lines.

Part of the problem too is that fierce competition has pushed margins way down - televisions are sold at basically zero margin, and it used to be the case that dealer markup was around 50% on speakers and audio gear, but I believe it's about half that now. Many of the value-add attaches that dealers used to make money on are dead or dying - fifteen years ago you'd buy a new TV for $2,000 and the dealer would make nothing, but you'd also buy a DVD player, a set of component cables, and a universal remote for another $400 and the dealer would make 50% on that. These days, TVs typically go out the door with *zero* additional sales, or maybe a soundbar at a 10% markup.

If boutique dealers want to stay in business against big box stores and online retailers, they have to pad their margins and make money somewhere. Unfortunately, they're making it by ripping off their customers, rather than selling actual value-add products like room treatment.
I agree, it won't happen now, but I was thinking that *if* this had happened in the 70s/80s, perhaps the monster would've been slain at birth? Just wishful thinking, probably, as something with such obscene profit margins would've been hard to keep down forever...

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Okay, that joke about your wife magically hearing the difference in sound quality while you're wearing headphones made me laugh. XD Great review King

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I've spent more money for a cable that looks/feels better than other. Not a lot of money, but something (aside from my one audioquest RCA I bought before I knew better, although it does look nice). That's a totally normal thing to do!

I looked at Nordost's website. My god. They have so many tiers and levels of cables. They all look the same aside from color, really. I'd love for one of their engineers try to explain to me what the differences are.
You mean that you want to be amused by some of the most hilarious pseudoscience to be found outside paranormal circles?

Top Bottom