• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nordost Tyr 2 Review (USB Cable)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 494 96.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 2.0%

• Total voters

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
It is a parody/comedy. There is no such company or challenge.

Damn, I was counting on that million. I already spent a hundred grand on a marketing campaign to get 20k YT subscribers…

audioholic63

This kind of reminds me of Monster back in the late 90's marketing Cat5e patch cables as "Y2K" compliant. As I, and the rest of the professional IT class, were working feverishly to re-code systems that only had 2-digit year fields I found this both amusing and monumentally offensive. It was only outdone by their admittedly well constructed RJ11 cables that claimed to make the thousands of miles of wiring noise that came before your 56K modem just melt away in the final six feet.

pinpoint_oxford

This kind of reminds me of Monster back in the late 90's marketing Cat5e patch cables as "Y2K" compliant. As I, and the rest of the professional IT class, were working feverishly to re-code systems that only had 2-digit year fields I found this both amusing and monumentally offensive. It was only outdone by their admittedly well constructed RJ11 cables that claimed to make the thousands of miles of wiring noise that came before your 56K modem just melt away in the final six feet.
I mean they're not wrong. It is Y2K compliant. I've also seen yogurt advertised as gluten free, which isn't wrong either. It's just that in both situations, if that claim wasn't true, something is seriously wrong.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I've also seen yogurt advertised as gluten free, which isn't wrong either.

That reminds me of another reason to avoid Nordost cables: they may contain traces (even copious amounts) of nuts. I mean, why take the risk?

audioholic63

I mean they're not wrong. It is Y2K compliant. I've also seen yogurt advertised as gluten free, which isn't wrong either. It's just that in both situations, if that claim wasn't true, something is seriously wrong.
I still love that you can get Twinkies that are Kosher for Passover. I'm pretty sure that something made of all those chemicals was never not Kosher because it was never actually food.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
:) Thanks for the review... keeps the unsuspected from (hopefully) wasting their hard-earned money or at least to spent it on s.th. meaningful.... .... or let them make an informed decision that if they buy it, they buy it for other reasons (e.g. optics, smell or whatever) but not for "sound improvement".

I have an idea: Take the $7 Amazon USB put some black netting (carbon look) around it and shrink tube and call it Southwest 3.0 ;-)

Last edited:

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeh, that amazon cable badly needs some bling to sell for more. :)
You can get super high-end looking power cables on Aliexpress for about $30.

Were I a less-scrupulous person I'd start importing them and selling them for $400 to audiophiles and make mint.

Migel83

I once bought a cable on Amazon that came from China that had similar promises and frankly it was crap.
It cost $30 and was returned with kind regards.
It was also dangerous because it heated up.
Of course I don't spend money on such things.
The same goes for such nonsense from snake oil salesmen.

Somewhere I believe in science as a human being. What I believe is that an unshielded cable can be more susceptible to interference for sure.
The copper used should also have a certain degree of purity and the plugs should be good enough to have a good grip.
That's all it takes.

Such a contribution already supports my thesis from the beginning.
It is enough if the cable is shielded and has good plugs for the connection.
And you can get that at a fair price without having to exaggerate.
I don't want to say that the Amazon cable is shit, maybe it feels like it, yes, it meets the standard, that's it.
With the Usb cable, other values count just as much as with the Hdmi cable.
It's about the transmission speed and what it can do.
Shielded, good transmission values, good plug connection, is enough.

Speaking of connectors, we have often bought bullshit from China that has destroyed our Usb C socket. of course, you don't want to have that.
That's why it's just as important, even if you've plugged and unplugged 10000 times.

I will gladly sign a petition to stop selling such things in the future, where the resources should be better invested in other things that are more important.
Since they are already becoming scarcer.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I should note that I do NOT like the Amazon Basics micro USB cable. It is completely different build and not nearly as good. So I did not want to impart that everything they make is good as far as cables.

Ralf Stocker

The cable costs $2 to manufacture. Maybe $4 on sale. Nice that there are people who pay $1400. That keeps the economy going.

Madlop26

The cable costs $2 to manufacture. Maybe $4 on sale. Nice that there are people who pay $1400. That keeps the economy going.
There are 10 votes for this cable to be great, pleased customers? lol, 14k earning investing 20 bucks, wow, like stealing from your grandma easy and so wrong......smh

C. Cook

LOL. Thanks for doing this. I'm not on Facebook, but I'm sure some of the "subjective audiophile" groups there are being treated to these measurements while still saying they can "hear a difference."

Next can you test some Shunyata stuff? That's a company and a dude who need to be taken down a serious rung or two.

Top Bottom