• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M300

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok thank you, i have 2 different opinions. I don't have the DX3 so it's for a new purchase.

What do you think of the Topping D70? It is a higher price category.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Ok thank you, i have 2 different opinions. I don't have the DX3 so it's for a new purchase.

What do you think of the Topping D70? It is a higher price category.

You aren't likely to hear a difference between any of these. They are all competent, which is to say audibly transparent, DAC's...

Magnifico

Not worth the money....really good device tough....currently the M300 is the bang for the buck in it´s price range.
Consider it´s a Dac only....no HP! But since you don´t need one....the M300 is optimal for your use case if...
...you´re not a fan of ESS chips
...want some specific form factor

/EDIT: M300 has huge advantage being able to be powered by USB

ModDIY

Thank you BDWoody and Maginfico as well as the others ...

But if we take the M300 versus the D70, in my opinion if we want to optimize the M300, we have to buy a linear PSU, so we add $ 100 easily. While the Topping D70 has its own PSU.

I ask the question what is best if there are price differences.
It is true that the M300 with the addition of a linear PSU is even cheaper I think the D70.

Another question, should you compare the M300 (or the DX3 pro) versus the Topping D50s with the ES9038? What do you think?

My question is quite broad, I know because I know the old Sabers and I was not a big fan. But the ES9038 looks very good if it is well implemented. I have several AKM DACs, AK439X series and AK4490, 95 and finally my last 4493 (which broke due to a PSU problem).

I am tempted by the D50s which seems a good machine, but also I look on the side of AKM with the M300. I'm there.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
But if we take the M300 versus the D70, in my opinion if we want to optimize the M300, we have to buy a linear PSU, so we add $ 100 easily. While the

Why do you believe you need a separate power supply?

ModDIY

You are right, there is an SMPS included in the MKII version. it's more if you want to upgrade with a linear power supply. I am tempted by this M300. Also I'm already a fan of AKM chips

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You are right, there is an SMPS included in the MKII version. it's more if you want to upgrade with a linear power supply. I am tempted by this M300. Also I'm already a fan of AKM chips

My question is what the upgrade would be for, or why you believe it needs this upgrade? Who has told you the one they designed it to work with is insufficient, and what would be the improvement you would expect?

Seems a lot of people believe it just automatically improves things, when I don't know that I know that...

ModDIY

Nothing tells me that an upgrade is necessary.

I only base myself on comments I have read, that a linear power supply is better for a DAC than an SMPS.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I only base myself on comments I have read, that a linear power supply is better for a DAC than an SMPS.

Ahhh... I think you can safely ignore that as a general rule. No need to look for ways to make it better than the engineers thought they could do.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
M300MK2-英_01.jpg

M300MK2-英_02.jpg
M300MK2-英_03.jpg
M300MK2-英_04.jpg
M300MK2-英_05.jpg
M300MK2-英_06.jpg
M300MK2-英_06.jpg
M300MK2-英_07.jpg
M300MK2-英_07.jpg
M300MK2-英_08.jpg
M300MK2-英_09.jpg
M300MK2-英_10.jpg
M300MK2-英_11.jpg
M300MK2-英_12.jpg

Here is the New version details

ModDIY

Well it's perfect in this case. We save money!

I have a question about taking for coaxial. I don't know it's whatever it takes to connect the coaxial cable?!?

ModDIY

For Bluetooth, is it APTX-LL or HD??

I asking because I have a need at least 16bits as APTX-LL.

Veri

Master Contributor
A good device filters the incoming SMPS power. A linear supply with do little to nothing in this case. Has been debunked already.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-you-need-linear-power-supply-for-dacs.7021/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-the-hdplex-200w-supply.7713/
Don't believe all comments you read.. especially when it involves having to spend extra $$$

Magnifico

@ModDIY: btw. the D50s is a very good device and totally worth the money over it´s older bro D50.
The D50s sounded better than the DX3pro. That is of course via DT1990pro´s.
If ou can hear it with your speakers....no idea.
With Nuberts possibly since those speakers are extremely natural and honest.

D50s and M300 are close. Reason I returned D50s was the really really small size of the display and ultimately the missing XLRs.
If you like the D50s sizewise and don´t need XLRs...you got yourself a problem ;)
I never hand them at the same time...so I´m reliying on my memory....D50s sounded a bit warmer....M300 is much cleaner and very precise.

ModDIY

It is APTX-LL

Ok perfect!!

A good device filters the incoming SMPS power. A linear supply with do little to nothing in this case. Has been debunked already.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-you-need-linear-power-supply-for-dacs.7021/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-the-hdplex-200w-supply.7713/
Don't believe all comments you read.. especially when it involves having to spend extra $$$

Thank you I will read.

@ModDIY: btw. the D50s is a very good device and totally worth the money over it´s older bro D50.
The D50s sounded better than the DX3pro. That is of course via DT1990pro´s.
If ou can hear it with your speakers....no idea.
With Nuberts possibly since those speakers are extremely natural and honest.

D50s and M300 are close. Reason I returned D50s was the really really small size of the display and ultimately the missing XLRs.
If you like the D50s sizewise and don´t need XLRs...you got yourself a problem ;)
I never hand them at the same time...so I´m reliying on my memory....D50s sounded a bit warmer....M300 is much cleaner and very precise.

Oh a big thank you for your return. I'm already a fan of AKM chips (AK4396, AK4399, AK4495, AK4493), I had at least 6 ... ha ha.

Now I have looked at the documentation of the SMLS, the photos of the interior (LDO converter, relay ... etc) and also the measurements made on this site, SINAD, dynamic, possibility change OP ... and so I will go there go with the M300. As a bonus there is an XLR output, it could be practical with active speakers.

:D

Veri

Master Contributor
Now I have looked at the documentation of the SMLS, the photos of the interior (LDO converter, relay ... etc) and also the measurements made on this site, SINAD, dynamic, possibility change OP ... and so I will go there go with the M300. As a bonus there is an XLR output, it could be practical with active speakers.

:D

Good choice :) just make sure to get the M300 Revision 2 :D
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...z-dsd512-bluetooh-50-apt-x-black-p-14360.html
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurement-of-smsl-m300-mkii-edition.10836/

Top Bottom