• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M300

mks

Probably the DAC used poor power stabilizers or ground polygons. Hello to the developers! I almost bought it :facepalm:

I honestly don't know why the noise was there. But I do know that coupled with the idefender, I paid $250 for a balanced ak4497 dac that sounds amazing now. If you know of similar spec one with this particular chip I'd love to hear some recommendations.

Green_X5

Forum Donor
If you know of similar spec one with this particular chip I'd love to hear some recommendations.
This is a great DAC chip. And there are no special recommendations for this. For this and for any other chip, there are the same rules for organizing electrical power on the board. The need to add a USB-Isolator its a crutch for a crippled developer. And I'm afraid to put my foot in a square-shaped boot, are there any more surprises?
You bought it, and you like the sound, just enjoy it.
A USB isolator can limit the maximum transfer rate, but this is enough up to psm 24/96 usually. Do not connect / disconnecti iDefender many times. The use of external power is mandatory.

mks

This is a great DAC chip. And there are no special recommendations for this. For this and for any other chip, there are the same rules for organizing electrical power on the board. The need to add a USB-Isolator its a crutch for a crippled developer. And I'm afraid to put my foot in a square-shaped boot, are there any more surprises?
You bought it, and you like the sound, just enjoy it.
A USB isolator can limit the maximum transfer rate, but this is enough up to psm 24/96 usually. Do not connect / disconnecti iDefender many times. The use of external power is mandatory.

I'll do that. Thanks

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe a bit offtopic but after i got the Loxjie D10 a few weeks ago, this was my first usb powered DAC too and I heard a hum through the amplifier if i put the volume up a lot. Also heard through all my eletronics in PC, so when I moved the mouse I heard that in the audio signal.

Made me realize how important good engineered power input is. Since then i bought the Topping P50 linear power supply and use optical so im shut off from any electrical interferances completely. Works great!

PS: Needless to say, im not a big fan of usb powered DACs anymore. Seems like the weak link in such devices.

PPS: some usb ports are noisier than others. I even tried a separate PCI-E USB 3.1 card, and it had the highest noise.

Last edited:

GoanSausage

I'm not sure what kind of PC's the people in this thread are using but with any recent, decent computer, there should be no noise on the USB. I've used various USB DACs on different computers, for many years now and never had noise issues.

Currently, I have a couple year old PC I built with a high end Corsair power supply and a 2015 MacBook Pro and with both of these systems, this DAC is completely silent and there is no bus noise.

Also, the output level on the XLRs is so high on this DAC that I've had to pot down the input gain on my ROKITs, which would reduce any noise or hiss issues even further.

Since this has optical in, the simple solution is to just use a TOSlink cable and isolate it electrically from your computer.

I'm really interested to see some testing of this model now, because our experiences with these units seem to be so dissimilar.

ninetylol

I'm not sure what kind of PC's the people in this thread are using but with any recent, decent computer, there should be no noise on the USB.

I have a couple year old PC I built, with a high end Corsair power supply and a 2015 MacBook Pro and with both of these systems, this DAC is completely silent and there is no bus noise.

The simple solution is to just use a TOSlink cable and isolate it electrically from your computers.

Also, the output level on the XLRs is so high on this DAC that I've had to pot down the input gain on my ROKITs, which would reduce any noise or hiss issues even further.

I'm really interested to see some testing of this model now, because our experiences with these units seem to be so dissimilar.
My PC uses some quality hardware and as you can read above i had grounding/noise issues.

Using a Asus X99 Rampage V Extreme and a corsair HX 1200. When your DAC is not grounded it will ground through the PC. You will have noise.

mks

I'm not sure what kind of PC's the people in this thread are using but with any recent, decent computer, there should be no noise on the USB. I've used various USB DACs on different computers, for many years now and never had noise issues.

Currently, I have a couple year old PC I built with a high end Corsair power supply and a 2015 MacBook Pro and with both of these systems, this DAC is completely silent and there is no bus noise.

Since this has optical in, the simple solution is to just use a TOSlink cable and isolate it electrically from your computer.

My PC is pretty high quality actually. It's got a Asus x570i stix motherboard, ryzen 3800x, evga sc ultra rtx2080 super, 850w Corsair rmx psu, 3 ssd's and an nvme drive. I've read recently that the rtx cards produce a fair amount of noise so that could be it. Also, Corsair commander pro and Corsair Platinum 115i aio are connected via usb internally so that could be it as well. I don't think it's the m300 specifically that transmits noise through the amp. I'm pretty sure any dac using one usb port for power and data will have this issue. Also, I prefer asio for playing hq dsd files which I cant do over toslink. IT would've been great to not have any noise at all from the get go but the idefender did its job and I'm a happy camper so no complaints as of now.

Green_X5

Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure any dac using one usb port for power and data will have this issue.
No, it is not. I have two cheap sound cards.
The first has one stabilizer and one GND polygon.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32336172833.html
I have to use an insulator. Otherwise, a lot of noise, it's audible.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32909293430.html
The second board has two stabilizers and the separation of the two GNDs.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32998345892.html
The sound is clear and I don’t need an isolator.

You hear the passage of digital noise to analog ground or oamp input. This engineer error.

Last edited:

mks

No, it is not. I have two cheap sound cards.
The first has one stabilizer and one GND polygon.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32336172833.html
I have to use an insulator. Otherwise, a lot of noise, it's audible.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32909293430.html
The second board has two stabilizers and the separation of the two GNDs.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32998345892.html
The sound is clear and I don’t need an isolator.

You hear the passage of digital noise to analog ground or oamp input. This engineer error.

Interesting. Makes sense.

Magnifico

Guys that is most probably a mass loop.

Try ifi iDefender. It did the total magic for me using a D50s and a SMSL SP200. Without it I hear SSDs noise, graphics....ect....plugged in...SILENCE.
BE CAREFUL to buy anything but the iDefender. I´ve no other ground loop breaker than this being able to push beyond 48khz which is ultimately the point of such high fidelity devices.

Other than that....since I returned the D50s because of it´s too small display and form factor....I was looking out for the updated and improved M300.
Seems like I´m screwed. Looking for a "cheap" DAC featuring decent display (size), some form factor, Balanced output AND a low price....I ended up the M300 MK2 nailing all but the form factor feature....but because of corona virus....I´m sure it will take very long for the device to arrive here.

If there is anyone from SMSL reading here.....please let me/us know how you are and an ETA for ordered items.

So I guess....they have more important problems like mine....I will have to cancel my order because I can´t wait that long for the device to arrive here.
Interestingly the iDefender did the job PERFECTLY with the D50s. But totally fails to clean out the signal using a Fiio BTR5.
I guess that is because of the USB-C. Otherwise the iDefender here would already be defective.

So any of you has ideas what device could fit my needs? It can´t be a device with a "ES hump".
My DT1990 Pro are sensitive to that....so big fat NO to those devices.
Currently I´m ending up with a Topping D70 being the "cheapest" devices....fitting most of my needs.....but it´s more or less twice the price....hard pill to swallow :(

Last edited:

olinko

Guys that is most probably a mass loop.

Try ifi iDefender. It did the total magic for me using a D50s and a SMSL SP200. Without it I hear SSDs noise, graphics....ect....plugged in...SILENCE.
BE CAREFUL to buy anything but the iDefender. I´ve no other ground loop breaker than this being able to push beyond 48khz which is ultimately the point of such high fidelity devices.

Other than that....since I returned the D50s because of it´s too small display and form factor....I was looking out for the updated and improved M300.
Seems like I´m screwed. Looking for a "cheap" DAC featuring decent display (size), some form factor, Balanced output AND a low price....I ended up the M300 MK2 nailing all but the form factor feature....but because of corona virus....I´m sure it will take very long for the device to arrive here.

If there is anyone from SMSL reading here.....please let me/us know how you are and an ETA for ordered items.

So I guess....they have more important problems like mine....I will have to cancel my order because I can´t wait that long for the device to arrive here.
Interestingly the iDefender did the job PERFECTLY with the D50s. But totally fails to clean out the signal using a Fiio BTR5.
I guess that is because of the USB-C. Otherwise the iDefender here would already be defective.

So any of you has ideas what device could fit my needs? It can´t be a device with a "ES hump".
My DT1990 Pro are sensitive to that....so big fat NO to those devices.
Currently I´m ending up with a Topping D70 being the "cheapest" devices....fitting most of my needs.....but it´s more or less twice the price....hard pill to swallow :(
Can you explain this? I see no mention of frequency in any of these products.
Does that mean if I buy the Douk Audio ADuM4160 that it will restrict the signal from the M300 to 48 kHz?

Magnifico

I can´t and won´t explain this. But the answer is most probably YES.
Sources I found stated that it was with EVERY cheap USB ground breaker I found other than the ifi one. Look at amazon for similar devices.
That is why you shouldn´t buy this stuff from aliexpress. Good luck with returning the item if it does not work properly.

Green_X5

Forum Donor
Can you explain this? I see no mention of frequency in any of these products.
Does that mean if I buy the Douk Audio ADuM4160 that it will restrict the signal from the M300 to 48 kHz?
I have this Douk Audio, but I'm listening 48/16. I see feedback from your link: "max PCM 24 bit 96 kHz ". No DSD. This guy measured noise with a bad meter, but noise reduction is visible. And I believe that. In addition, external powerful power can be connected via Douk Audio. I do it.

изолятор1.jpg

olinko

I have this Douk Audio, but I'm listening 48/16. I see feedback from your link: "max PCM 24 bit 96 kHz ". No DSD. This guy measured noise with a bad meter, but noise reduction is visible. And I believe that. In addition, external powerful power can be connected via Douk Audio. I do it.

View attachment 54984
Thanks! My SMSL M300 MkII + SP200 stack is supposed to be here next week. I'm hoping I won't need to buy anything else and that I'll get lucky and there's no noise in the first place

olinko

be prepared to have a ground loop though....
Let me dream while I still can. The guy that wrote a bit about it in the "official" M300 MkII thread said he had no problems with it right out of the box
(I'm hoping running the M300 optical doesn't limit its capabilities compared to USB like on some cheaper DACs)

Last edited:

ModDIY

Hello,

I'm new to this forum.

Do you have any idea if the SMSL M300 is superior in audio quality to the Topping DX3 pro?

I know the m300 uses an AK4497, while the DX3 Pro 2 AK449.

I don't need an XLR output, my devices don't have one. Also I use the DAC only connected to an amplifier and speakers, no listening with headphones.

Thank you

Veri

Master Contributor
I know the m300 uses an AK4497, while the DX3 Pro 2 AK449.

I don't need an XLR output, my devices don't have one. Also I use the DAC only connected to an amplifier and speakers, no listening with headphones.

No, DX3 is perfectly fine for your use. You wouldn't hear an improvement/difference.

Magnifico

I´d say the M300 is superior. If you own the DX3 don´t bother it. If you´re buying new...choose the M300.

Top Bottom