• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New set of graphs for all speakers reviews

OP
P

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@pierre First... great website. Never knew of its existence (totally missed it somehow)

What is the reasoning behind the blue bar for bass extension. Granted the numbers are displayed but I would consider 100Hz not 'extended' and then, by logic, I would the blue bar to be all on the left for 100Hz and for 20Hz on the right.

The same comment on smoothness. Why is the yellow bar not 1.0 on the right ?

Flattness a similar case why not have +/-10dB (which is terrible) all the way on the left ?

Just want to understand the reasoning. Maybe the scales are auto generated but see no reason not to fix the scales.

Hello,

all the bars are a % wrt to all the speakers. That's not working perfectly as you noticed. If you sort by flatness, all the top ones have a long green bar. Down the list, the bar decreases but it is not an absolute value, more related to all the measured speakers.

That's very easy to change so if you have a good idea on how to classify it, I can adapt.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My classifications may not be the same as those of others, which complicates things.

The yellow bar could probably be fixed at 1.0 on the right though.

For bass extension I would say bottom = 20Hz highest = 100Hz. To me 80Hz is already severly lacking bass extension.
On the ILoud MTM it is easy to set LF extension. Amir measured it in standard config (so 50Hz) but it audibly goes deeper when set to 40Hz and when set to 80Hz (possible with later firmware) it really sounds deprived of bass but the catch is steepness here. When the MTM would have been measured at 40Hz setting the -6dB point would have been reported about 8Hz lower than it i now. Nothing can be done about that though.

Of course there is a snag here too (bass extension). The steepness of the roll-off matters as well. Hard to incorporate in a number.
Speaker A with 50Hz but gentle slope can have more perceived bass extension than speaker B with a very steep rolloff. So that might complicate things as well.

Seems like a LOT of labour of love you put in there.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course there is a snag here too (bass extension). The steepness of the roll-off matters as well. Hard to incorporate in a number.
Speaker A with 50Hz but gentle slope can have more perceived bass extension than speaker B with a very steep rolloff. So that might complicate things as well.
James Larson at Audioholics talks about this. He calls it a "tapered bass response".

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @pierre , thanks so much for your site. Extremely useful & informative! I'm wondering , can you go into a little detail on how the "similar" function works? Is there any way to show more than 3 results, or edit some of the comparison criteria? One use case that's come up for me, I was interested in some (much) lower cost surround/height options for D&D 8C but the Similar option brought up Kii Three, Buchardt A500, and KH420 - presumably because of their comparable bass extension. In this situation, Im simply after something with similar "voicing" (for lack of better term) that can extend to maybe -10dB @ 40Hz for a 80Hz crossover

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
Hi @pierre , thanks so much for your site. Extremely useful & informative! I'm wondering , can you go into a little detail on how the "similar" function works? Is there any way to show more than 3 results, or edit some of the comparison criteria? One use case that's come up for me, I was interested in some (much) lower cost surround/height options for D&D 8C but the Similar option brought up Kii Three, Buchardt A500, and KH420 - presumably because of their comparable bass extension. In this situation, Im simply after something with similar "voicing" (for lack of better term) that can extend to maybe -10dB @ 40Hz for a 80Hz crossover

Hello,

Similar is defined here. Between 2 speakers, compute the max of (sp_A-sp_B, lw_A-lw_B, er_A-er_B). The idea is to have a similar tonal balance which is what you are looking at. Then for each speaker, select the one which are the closest (aka lowest difference).

I can add some parameters but I am super busy ATM and cannot promise a timeline.

jtk9412

Hello,

Where can I find the EQ settings/file for my Edifier MR4? And which EQ app would you recommend to me? I already setted up APO EQ with Peace extension, but I can setup another if there is a better choice.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

Where can I find the EQ settings/file for my Edifier MR4? And which EQ app would you recommend to me? I already setted up APO EQ with Peace extension, but I can setup another if there is a better choice.
Equalizer APO will work just fine.

spinorama_collection.png

posvibes

I had some time to kill in a plane and I played with all the data’s that Amir gives us.
Just a quick word of thanks to @pierre what a great resource and easy to use piece of info to reference, it has helped me enormously. There are too many to mention but I am knocked out by the work done in this area, to @amirm , @sweetchaos, @Maiky76 and many others may you all prosper from your good works.

Just noticed that the JBL LSR305p mkii had a very high "tonality' score and I am thinking of swapping my Adam T5V's with my daughter to get the 305's back, I'm even considering the 306 this has going to have to stop, I came to ASR to manage and suppress my audiophilia not encourage it. :facepalm:

Thanks again! (I think).

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
Hello,

hello,

click on my signature. On the website, go to EQ:

Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 07.11.51.png

and then look for your model: you can either click in the link automaticEQ or copy paste for the description

Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 07.12.52.png

I generated a better one for you:

Code:
EQ for Edifier MR4 computed from ErinsAudioCorner data
Preference Score 3.5 with EQ 5.6
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.16
Dated: 2022-11-16-07:17:22

Preamp: -2.9 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc 12565 Hz Gain -4.60 dB Q 1.39
Filter  2: ON PK Fc  3125 Hz Gain +2.85 dB Q 2.87
Filter  3: ON PK Fc    70 Hz Gain +3.08 dB Q 0.97
Filter  4: ON PK Fc   192 Hz Gain -2.23 dB Q 0.92
Filter  5: ON PK Fc    85 Hz Gain +1.40 dB Q 0.53
Filter  6: ON PK Fc   538 Hz Gain -2.40 dB Q 1.51
Filter  7: ON PK Fc  6408 Hz Gain +0.91 dB Q 2.90
Filter  8: ON PK Fc  8321 Hz Gain -0.66 dB Q 2.72
Filter  9: ON PK Fc  1154 Hz Gain -1.41 dB Q 2.94

filters_eq.png

jtk9412

I generated a better one for you:

Code:
EQ for Edifier MR4 computed from ErinsAudioCorner data
Preference Score 3.5 with EQ 5.6
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.16
Dated: 2022-11-16-07:17:22

Preamp: -2.9 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 12565 Hz Gain -4.60 dB Q 1.39
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 3125 Hz Gain +2.85 dB Q 2.87
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 70 Hz Gain +3.08 dB Q 0.97
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 192 Hz Gain -2.23 dB Q 0.92
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 85 Hz Gain +1.40 dB Q 0.53
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 538 Hz Gain -2.40 dB Q 1.51
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 6408 Hz Gain +0.91 dB Q 2.90
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 8321 Hz Gain -0.66 dB Q 2.72
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 1154 Hz Gain -1.41 dB Q 2.94

Thank you, I will be using this one if it is better than the other.

Can you also tell me how this should look like?

1668581457495.png

1668581467733.png

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor

jtk9412

Why browser did you have? if you have a small screen the look is different (as is post above)
I believe it was caused by an extension I use named uBlock Origin on Edge. I managed to fix it by turning it off and then on again somehow.

Can I also get an answer for this:

index.php

index.php

How should this look like? Should the EQ be green or grey? When it is grey, it unlucks the Quality section. If it is green, it makes the same section uneditable.

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
I believe it was caused by an extension I use named uBlock Origin on Edge. I managed to fix it by turning it off and then on again somehow.

Can I also get an answer for this:

index.php

index.php

How should this look like? Should the EQ be green or grey? When it is grey, it unlucks the Quality section. If it is green, it makes the same section uneditable.

Hi rjn,

I don't know on the green/grey question since I am not using this tool.

Pierre

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
New feature:

autoEQ can generate an EQ for graphical EQ (15 bands or 31 bands).
Currently supporting:

'Altair EQ-215',
'Subzero SZEQ-215',
'Altair EQ-230',
'Behringer FBQ3102HD',
'DBX 1231',
'DBX 2231',
'DBX 321S',
'KlarkTecknik DN360',
'KlarkTecknik DN370'

Most looks the same with either 15 bands or 31 bands, 1/3 or 2/3 octave width (and then fixed Q), +/-6dB or boosted to -12/12dB

End result is not bad with precision being 1/2dB or 1/4dB.

I need to add some test, generation of all EQs, and link in the webpage.

VeerK

This is a superb website, thank you @pierre. I played with the ranking and noticed that the EQ score for the Kef Q150 is different than the EQ score for your v2a, is that by design?

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
This is a superb website, thank you @pierre. I played with the ranking and noticed that the EQ score for the Kef Q150 is different than the EQ score for your v2a, is that by design?
Hi @VeerK, what is v2a? Or may be a picture? I do not understand what you are pointing out. Thanks

Top Bottom