• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Product: Arvus H2-4D Atmos Renderer, Simultaneous 16 channel AES/Balanced Analog/Dante Output

MartinJ

I contacted Mathew from Arvus with a few questions concerning the upcoming H1-D and asked for permission to share his reply here in the forum.

Hi Martin, thanks for reaching out!

1. Yes - DIRAC can be disabled
2. Yes - it will support PCM
3. GREAT IDEA!!!! - we will design a 1U mount for both H1-D and Apple4K which can be an optional extra - thank you!!!

Matthew A. Simmons
Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your response.
May I share this on the Audio Science Review Forum?

Martin Jung
Sure ... We would be open to thoughts on this 1U mounting idea...no use designing something that the market doesn't want. :)

Matthew A. Simmons

I will send him a link to follow this thread.
He'd like to hear your thoughts on the 1U mounting idea.

chelgrian

I contacted Mathew from Arvus with a few questions concerning the upcoming H1-D and asked for permission to share his reply here in the forum.

He'd like to hear your thoughts on the 1U mounting

He'd like to hear your thoughts on the 1U mounting idea.
There are two common mechanisms:

- An attachment so you can fit two identical units together in to 1u, MOTU used to do this for their ultralight product.

- A 1/2u shelf with mounting holes which you can attach one unit to.

Something universal that you could mount an ATV or Mac Mini or any other random small bit of hardware would be much more useful than a bespoke thing just for an ATV.

A 1/2u shelf would need to be custom to the unit as its mounting needs to lineup with the mounting holes for the rack ears on the side of the unit. There are lots of engineering companies which would make sort runs of such things from CAD drawings.

Last edited:

rhollan

Add my vote for a rack mount adapter. I often reject equipment if I can't easily rack mount it.

David4545

Arvus International Limited
21st July 2023 - Newsletter # 3
H1-D Coming soon!

After almost a year of development we are close to launching this much needed solution.
Final dimensions are 120mm W x 100mm D x 30mm H
 The hardware design is locked in, but we had to make the final product larger than planned due to cooling for extreme applications, connectors, headphone amplifier etc.
 The design language is similar to the H2-4D.
 The case is tough extruded aluminum with vented metal front and rear panels.
 Our innovative solution for Dante and AES67 is proving stable performance.
 Partnerships with the codec suppliers for Atmos, DTS-X, Auro3D, MPEG-H and Sony360 have
progressed as needed.
 The costings are pretty much complete and back-end logistics /purchasing systems are well
established with final MSRP cost and Beta offer to be announced in August.
 We will be moving our website to the Shopify platform, plus taking advantage of established
fulfillment platforms for fast cost effective international shipping.
Arvus.com
Arvus International Limited All Rights Reserved – 2023 ©

 After much discussion we decided to remove the Remote control as it affected the design of the enclosure too much without adding much value.
 The COAX DAC output has remaimed and will support up to 24bit / 192K 2-channel
 16 channel support for Dante will be up to 48K and output only (no Dante In).
 16 channel support for AES67 will be up to 96K.
Production timeline is looking to be as follows:
1. End of August - Beta production offer announced. To qualify for the Beta Discount a
questionnaire will need to be filled in.
2. End of September - Beta production offer closes.
3. End of February ’24 – Beta production ships out.
All of us here are Arvus are excited to launch this product into market and are very confident that this stable and easily upgradeable solution will become an essential component in the spatial audio community.
Matthew A. Simmons
CEO – Founder
[email protected]
Arvus.com Arvus International Limited All Rights Reserved – 2023 ©

Why only Dante is at 48K max resolution ? It will be much better to get 96K to be able to play Atmos at max res.

• The COAX DAC output has remaimed and will support up to 24bit / 192K 2-channel
  • 16 channel support for Dante will be up to 48K and output only (no Dante In).
  • 16 channel support for AES67 will be up to 96K.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why only Dante is at 48K max resolution ? It will be much better to get 96K to be able to play Atmos at max res.
1) I believe Hollywood’s requirements
2) My understanding is that the vast majority of Atmos content is mixed in 48 kHz only (both Kaleidascape and UHD Blu-Ray)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
2) My understanding is that the vast majority of Atmos content is mixed in 48 kHz only (both Kaleidascape and UHD Blu-Ray)
Yes I'm pretty sure the software owners aren't going to allow the audio channels to exit the decoder without limitations....

chelgrian

Can't be Hollywood as AES-67 does do 96k on this unit. Perhaps Audinate demand higher fees for higher sample rate support, who knows :/

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't be Hollywood as AES-67 does do 96k on this unit. Perhaps Audinate demand higher fees for higher sample rate support, who knows :/
Good catch! AES67 is also unencrypted

David4545

It looks to me like Dante is now limited to 48K because it’s using AES67 compatibility mode. AES67 Ravenna support would be all the way up to 192K though…

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It looks to me like Dante is now limited to 48K because it’s using AES67 compatibility mode. AES67 Ravenna support would be all the way up to 192K though…
I am currently playing 352.8K PCM in 8 channels over AES67.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
aes-67

tell us more... what amplifiers or other electronics are you using?
The source is a custom PC server running MAD (Merging Audio Device, an ASIO interface to Ravenna) connected to a Hapi II.
Dunno why the amps are relevant but they are Benchmark AHB2s and JLAudio subs.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The source is a custom PC server running MAD (Merging Audio Device, an ASIO interface to Ravenna) connected to a Hapi II.
Out of curiosity, will Stereophile let you do an AMA (ask me anything) here? Or better yet, I think an AMA that is hosted at Stereophile.com would be a popular one and a lot of readers here would love to ask questions like this to the team at Stereophile.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, will Stereophile let you do an AMA (ask me anything) here? Or better yet, I think an AMA that is hosted at Stereophile.com would be a popular one and a lot of readers here would love to ask questions like this to the team at Stereophile.
Ask my editor via the Stereophile site. Not sure he will be amenable nor am I sure that I (and others) will be able to commit the time and effort.
I do respond to posts here, there (Stereophile) and almost everywhere as my inclinations permit.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ask my editor via the Stereophile site. Not sure he will be amenable nor am I sure that I (and others) will be able to commit the time and effort.
I do respond to posts here, there (Stereophile) and almost everywhere as my inclinations permit.
Yeah, I appreciate it. (In my mind, if it's at Stereophile.com, they have to pay you for your time/effort...)

mumford

Thanks for your reply. I use a conjunction "or" as you may have used a pro amp with built-in AES67 interface.

I am not too familar with Merging products, but I believe that MAD is a software ASIO driver for Windows 10 or 11 and the Hapi can act as a switch as it has 2 ethernet ports. So, you are running MAD on a PC and connect an ethernet cable from the PC to Hapi and a separate ethernet cable from Arvus to Hapi? Any latency problems?

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I am not too familar with Merging products, but I believe that MAD is a software ASIO driver for Windows 10 or 11 and the Hapi can act as a switch as it has 2 ethernet ports. So, you are running MAD on a PC and connect an ethernet cable from the PC to Hapi and a separate ethernet cable from Arvus to Hapi?
Not exactly. I am not using the Arvus now (having returned the H2-4D after the review). I have my Win11PC with MAD and the Hapi II connected to the same local ethernet switch. I am not having any latency problems, afaik.

Top Bottom