• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Product: Arvus H2-4D Atmos Renderer, Simultaneous 16 channel AES/Balanced Analog/Dante Output

chelgrian

There are 2 ways to make Dante/AES67 equipment coexists with AVB. Bi Amp makes an AVB/Dante switch (TC-5D) that acts as a Dante endpoint. So, one can connect an Arvus to TC-5D. TC-5D then converts Dante to AVB. AVB protocol uses Level 2 switching, so it is a superior solution to Level 3 switching. One may argue that it is BetaMax and Dante is VHS. Maybe. But, unlike VHS, one can use both in the same network, by having a right switch. Use a RME Digiface AVB interface to connect all the AVB equipment by RME and other manufactures.

The second way needs testing. But it should work. Use software Dante Via and Dante Controller on a PC. It can find and connect all Dante equipped devices on the network. So, the 16 channels of Avrus can be selected by the DSP software as inputs. Then, the same software can select RME TotalMix Fx as outputs.

No comment on lip sync correction, as testing is required. But, there is also delay on the video side, as Madvr tone mapping adds latency as well. So, correction is required, even without a pc doing dsp and crossover. RME's TotalMix Fx is very powerful. It can even be remotely controlled on an Ipad. My very strong guess is that it will work.
AVB is theoretically technically superior to AES67/Dante/Ravenna however in practice most of the implementations are not interoperable and a tiny number of switch vendors support it and those that do generally charge extra to enable it.

In practice you see AVB being used point to point or in an isolated network with a single small switch. Large AOIP deployments and basically all Pro Audio live sound uses Dante because Audinate made it just work and all Dante equipment interoperates with all other Dante equipment.

That Dante to AVB converter is ~£1600 on to the cost you have to really want to use RME rather than the alternatives that speak AES67 to stomach that cost.

mumford

Yeh, an all Dante network maybe cheaper. Something from QSC Pro perhaps. But, RME software is just so good and latency is the lowest. Maybe, use the Ferrofish A32pro Dante converter as you suggested. Connect Arvus to Ferrofish via Dante, and Ferrofish to the PC via RME HDSPe MADI or MADI Fx.

Last edited:

apgood

Use an old Q-Sys Core 250i or 500i. It can accept AES67 and you can either use their balance analogue output cards, AES3 digital in/out cards or use an AVB card to pass on to another device to do the DA conversion, but the audio chain starts to get more complex with multiple points of potential failure.

MartinJ

wholly molly. Guess what showed up in my email box just earlier. The price is right.

Announcing H1-D (H2-4D’s smaller sibling)

• HDMI to Dante / AES67 only.
  • Small (similar formfactor to the Apple4K)
  • Price well under USD3k including freight
  • Performance and GUI will be identical to H2-4D.
  • eARC / HDMI Pass-through will be supported.
  • Samples ready for testing around April
  • Aiming for the first Beta run to be completed December 2023.
  • Given the rate of Atmos adoption across in the entire audio market, we can see that this unit could be a great seller.
  • Further information to be released in coming newsletters.
There finally is an update on the H1-D.

H1-D Product Launch Update

As announced in our previous newsletter the follow-up to the H2-4D the H1-D aims to become an essential product in the global adoption of Dolby Atmos® and the spatial audio in general. We are on track for a few pre-production units being tested in June.

Once these pass our testing and product requirements we will offer to all Arvus clients & Newsletter subscribers a chance to pre-purchase their units in the upcoming Beta Production Run at a significant discount compared to the MSRP which we are still aiming to be ~USD2,600.00 – 2,850.00

The H1-D will be a powerhouse of a device…and tiny as we are aiming for half the size of an Apple4K!

CODECS and SOFTWARE supported will be:

DOLBY Atmos
DTS-X
IMAX Enhanced
Auro3D
MPEG-H
Sony360
DIRAC
Crestron
Q-Sys
….plus others

HARDWARE Features:

HDMI 2.1 Input
HDMI 2.1 pass-through Output with full eARC support
DANTE / AES67 Output
High quality separate DAC / Headphone Amplifier (6.5mm jack)
Remote Control
System Reset button
Power over Ethernet (PoE)
Separate power supply input

Expect to be notified of further H1-D progress
in the coming weeks

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

There finally is an update on the H1-D.

H1-D Product Launch Update

As announced in our previous newsletter the follow-up to the H2-4D the H1-D aims to become an essential product in the global adoption of Dolby Atmos® and the spatial audio in general. We are on track for a few pre-production units being tested in June.

Once these pass our testing and product requirements we will offer to all Arvus clients & Newsletter subscribers a chance to pre-purchase their units in the upcoming Beta Production Run at a significant discount compared to the MSRP which we are still aiming to be ~USD2,600.00 – 2,850.00

The H1-D will be a powerhouse of a device…and tiny as we are aiming for half the size of an Apple4K!

CODECS and SOFTWARE supported will be:

DOLBY Atmos
DTS-X
IMAX Enhanced
Auro3D
MPEG-H
Sony360
DIRAC
Crestron
Q-Sys
….plus others

HARDWARE Features:

HDMI 2.1 Input
HDMI 2.1 pass-through Output with full eARC support
DANTE / AES67 Output
High quality separate DAC / Headphone Amplifier (6.5mm jack)
Remote Control
System Reset button
Power over Ethernet (PoE)
Separate power supply input

Expect to be notified of further H1-D progress
in the coming weeks
This is going to be AVR/AVP killer for all of us who have invested in external amps. Hopefully it measures well. Thank you!

rhollan

From the May 2023 Stereophile article, it looks like you want external DACs.

MartinJ

This is going to be AVR/AVP killer for all of us who have invested in external amps. Hopefully it measures well. Thank you!
The variety of codecs is something I've not seen in many AVRs. The size and the price is quite attractive too. I also hope it performs well.

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

I just googled "May 2023 Stereophile" and found this link to a copy of the magazine and the pdf works. The Arvus review by Kalman Rubinson is there

I tried to download it on my iPhone and it didn’t work, but then I realized I have subscription to Apple News+, so I opened it there. If anyone is interested, it’s on page 77 of May 2023 issue.

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

So the DACs inside the big brother are 48KHz, and you need Dante decoder to use external DAC with the smaller version. It’s a bit hard to use in home theater this way.

mumford

So the DACs inside the big brother are 48KHz, and you need Dante decoder to use external DAC with the smaller version. It’s a bit hard to use in home theater this way.

it is probably for more involved installation, with additional decoder, amps, and why not. The Ferrofish converter, with Dante, as suggested earlier on this thread is a good choice.

MartinJ

The new one is probably aimed at studios with an existing Dante system. I don't know why they implemented Dirac though because in a studio you usually have a room calibration system, be it Genelec GLM or DAD SPQ or something else.

chelgrian

It's designed for studio and custom install work. The vast majority of Atmos content is 48k, 96k is possible but halves the number of possible objects, so only supporting 48 is an acceptable compromise for the target market.

chelgrian

The new one is probably aimed at studios with an existing Dante system. I don't know why they implemented Dirac though because in a studio you usually have a room calibration system, be it Genelec GLM or DAD SPQ or something else.
Probably same reason they implemented Crestron support so it could be sold in to the custom install market which is large enough for them to make some extra cash but small enough for Arvus to service and they don't have to deal with end user support.

I think Kal Rubinson's comment in another thread that you won't see consumer friendly features like HDMI CEC and 12v triggers is down to this.

tehas

I wonder why the focus on size - "half the size of an apple tv"? I'd happily accept something larger, even1RU in size if it makes it more serviceable.

mumford

I wonder why the focus on size - "half the size of an apple tv"? I'd happily accept something larger, even1RU in size if it makes it more serviceable.
Me too. But we are probably older. Younger people seem to like everything smaller and lighter, even if it degrades musical quality.

MartinJ

It would be nice if they offered a rack shelf to mount the H1-D together with an Apple TV.

chelgrian

I doubt it's a focus on size per say, it will simply be that they don't need the internal space or backplate space of a full width 1u chassis thus it is cheaper to make a 1/2 width one.

Top Bottom