• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Matrix Audio mini-i 4 and mini-i Pro 4 Streamers.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Roon + airplay is already a winner for me. I can stream everything from my apple eco system with AirPlay (VPN on, hbo , iPad pro to headphone setup). Apple music AirPlay.

Roon works great...hope it stays around. Can't imagine another streaming software replacing it. So roon endpoint is great also.

NAA for HQPLAYER would be great but oh well.. Raspberry pi's are not that expensive.

Wondering when the new units will be available at audiophonics in France.
Would love the streamer for my desktop computer

Daggyz

I'm just confused why they would release a product that will cannibalize an existing one (i2)? Unless I am missing something this seems to go toe to toe with the i2...

Nikan

The New element 2 series, X-SABRE 3 and mini-i 4 series are definitely stand alone streamers that can be used fully out of the Roon ecosystem
I think for this task all Matrix require Google Chromecast support, but this is no. For owners of Android OS devices, these Matrixes are useless.

tc2007

What's the difference between the 2

* XLR
* better DACs?
* Arc
* Headphone jack

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What's the difference between the 2

* XLR
* better DACs?
* Arc
* Headphone jack

Pro includes a headphone amp section.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
MA mini-i 4 and Pro 4 already available for purchase:

tc2007

Very tempted. This or the EverSolo. Not a fair comparison but for $250 more, it has native Android and a (presumably) better power supply given it's size and a much bigger screen.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Very tempted. This or the EverSolo. Not a fair comparison but for $250 more, it has native Android and a (presumably) better power supply given it's size and a much bigger screen.

This is a first for me...that android is seen as something positive :)
What are these "better PSUs" good for In a transparent measuring DAC ?
But the Eversolo uses a SMPS anyway.

tc2007

Android is good because it allows native streaming apps which (in measurements) allow bit perfect streaming to an external DAC and also great when using the internal DAC as the number of layers is minimized.

Not all SMPS are worse than LPS anyway. Just because it doesn't show up in a measurement doesn't mean the difference cannot be heard. I know I know this is ASR.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Android is good because it allows native streaming apps which (in measurements) allow bit perfect streaming to an external DAC and also great when using the internal DAC as the number of layers is minimized.

Not all SMPS are worse than LPS anyway. Just because it doesn't show up in a measurement doesn't mean the difference cannot be heard. I know I know this is ASR.

Last time I checked roon was bit perfect with local files, qobuz and tidal.
That's what the matrix mini is for :)

Once you do PEQ, it's not bit perfect anymore. And using PEQ has way more benefits then bit perfect playback.

So what good are those android devices 1-2 years after the devices are out and they are not updated anymore?
Pretty sure apple music doesn't work on the Eversolo the same way it does on a apple device too. (Does it do Dolby Atmos ? Didn't check)

As nice as a device like the Eversolo is, lots of it's features are just unnecessary and rather useless if someone is just looking for a roon streamer with a DAC (and a headphone amp).

And the matrix mini 4 has eARC.

tc2007

Roon has a $15 monthly fee. So that's a no go for me. I know it's quite powerful. I would rather have the features of the Eversolo. This isn't a Samsung phone we are talking about where an older Android version would be a deal breaker. It runs an open version of Android, I am sure the company will stand behind the product and release updates for many years to come. Tech products tend to become obsolete in 5+ years anyway.

The A6 is Roon ready now too. The Eversolo is a 2.0 device so no Atmos on Apple music. I think only Apple TV can do Atmos anyway. The A6 does multichannel DSD so that's something.

Again I am not saying one is bad or the other is better etc. Both have their own benefits. At different price points, I am glad that the Mini 4 exists. I have an A6 on the way so might end up trying both of them out. My requirements are pretty rudimentary. Qobuz streaming and local DSD/Flac playback with performance meeting or exceding an external DAC in the $200+ range. I don't care about most other features. If the Mini 4 was announced 2 weeks ago I wouldn't have ordered the Eversolo.

Daggyz

If this is going to be used by someone who will use this solely as a desktop streamer is there any potential benefit of eARC at all?

I'm still confused why this is less than the i2 and seems to do things better?

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
If this is going to be used by someone who will use this solely as a desktop streamer is there any potential benefit of eARC at all?

It doesn't do things "better", it does things different. For starters, the element series have a more premium look with an all aluminum body, a premium remote and i2s input for those who need it. There is also volume control with knob in the element series, not in the mini-i 4. I'm pretty sure others internals are different which could make the element series more expensive. I think the best person to ask would be @MatrixAudio .

tc2007

I think this is for someone looking for a nice Roon endpoint or a UPnP streamer or Tidal / Qobuz only streamer. It doesn't have a digital out so not for serious tinkerers.

Snoopy

Major Contributor

eARC:
Some people use "small" OLED or QLED TVs on a desktop setup along with a Ps5 or Xbox for example .

sure U could just use usb out of the Ps5 with a DAC or optical out of the TV as well but it's a interesting option for such a setup.

Especially when the optical out of a TV is not that well implemented. You don't need a extra hdmi extractor thing.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Roon has a $15 monthly fee. So that's a no go for me. I know it's quite powerful..

But the DMP A6 is Roon ready as well. ;) I imagine plenty of people use it with Roon as well. so you have the same monthly fee or lifetime license cost.
I don't see this as an advantage for the A6 at all. because I would use it with Roon anyway.

Smislov

Does eversolo dmp-a6 or Mini i4 support parametric equalizer?
Tnx

tc2007

The A6 is native android so any app like the HiBy player can be used for param-eq

Trev_VM

is there a specific reason why there are no digital outputs on these really nice streamers?

Top Bottom