• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Matrix Audio Element X2, M2 and i2 Music Streamers - Headphones Amps!!

yzbythesea

I recently purchased an element i2 too. The first time setup is flaky. I first used Spotify connect. Then while device is playing Spotify, I try to use Tidal connect but device is not responding. I have to stop Spotify and forget my device, then I can use Tidal connect. However this issue only happen once. Now I can switch between Spotify and Tidal connect with no issue.

The device also responds with a delay like 1 or 2 sec when I switched between digital sources. I used Wiim and it is smoother than this :oops:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Spotify and tidal are probably only gimmicks here. Not using this with roon is lots of wasted potential.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Spotify and tidal are probably only gimmicks here. Not using this with roon is lots of wasted potential.

That's a Roon problem for not supporting Spotify, not Matrix Audio problem. You can still use TIDAL and Qobuz with the MA Remote app or directly with your Spotify or TIDAL app via TIDAL Connect or Spotify Connect.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
That's a Roon problem for not supporting Spotify, not Matrix Audio problem. You can still use TIDAL and Qobuz with the MA Remote app or directly with your Spotify or TIDAL app via TIDAL Connect or Spotify Connect.

With "this" I meant the matrix audio devices. That it should be used with roon.

I couldn't care less about Spotify and tidal connect.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
With "this" I meant the matrix audio devices. That it should be used with roon.

I couldn't care less about Spotify and tidal connect.
I agree.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Looks like a new element unit was added to the Matrix Audio element Series family? element S

IMG_8470.PNG

IMG_8471.PNG

Ranton

Looks like a new element unit was added to the Matrix Audio element Series family? element S
As of this morning, still nothing on Matrix's website, but their US distributor, Apos, has information about it. As one might gather from the name, it is a streamer-only unit sharing the same design language as the Element *2 series, priced at around $1,500. Will start shipping on April 25.

Looks pretty nice, with numerous outputs, and pricing seems (to me, at least) to be in line with competitive offerings. In particular, this should give the Lumin U2 Mini some stiff competition!

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
It looks very nice. Basically an element 2i without the headphone amp and DAC sections. Plenty of Digital Outs so it can be used straight out of the box with powered speakers with digital inputs like Genelec and Neumann. Then if you want analog outs, a very good DAC like a Topping E50 would give you state of the art performance.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It looks very nice. Basically an element 2i without the headphone amp and DAC sections. Plenty of Digital Outs so it can be used straight out of the box with powered speakers with digital inputs like Genelec and Neumann. Then if you want analog outs, a very good DAC like a Topping E50 would give you state of the art performance.
Does seem pointless to spend so much money on a device that does nothing tbh.
Something that just receives a signal wirelessly and outputs via optical or something is too cheap to build overall. $1500 is an outrageous price, but I guess they have to cover their R&D for the 30 people who will buy this...

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Does seem pointless to spend so much money on a device that does nothing tbh.
Something that just receives a signal wirelessly and outputs via optical or something is too cheap to build overall. $1500 is an outrageous price, but I guess they have to cover their R&D for the 30 people who will buy this...
It doesn't makes sense for you but it makes for many. If you are Roon user, it makes total sense. The Lumin U2 mini sells like hot cakes and it cost $2400. The Matrix Audio element S has better specs than the Lumin U2 mini and it cost $900 less. Roon Ready devices are expensive and this element S is a bargain compared to other Roon Ready streamers. For Non Roon users then you have other much cheaper options.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It doesn't makes sense for you but it makes for many. If you are Roon user, it makes total sense. The Lumin U2 mini sells like hot cakes and it cost $2400. The Matrix Audio element S has better specs than the Lumin U2 mini and it cost $900 less. Roon Ready devices are expensive and this element S is a bargain compared to other Roon Ready streamers. For Non Roon users then you have other much cheaper options.
I guess, but can't you just use a pc or a android box or even a RBP?

Ranton

... Basically an element 2i without the headphone amp and DAC sections. ...
LOL, well when you put it that way, it looks like a horrible deal. The i2 is priced just $80 more! Of course, you and I would agree that relative to competitive offerings from the likes of Sonore, SoTM, Lumin, Auralic, etc., the Element S looks decent. Decent, that is, if you buy into the idea that a $1000+ streamer is worthwhile. A Raspberry Pi running RoPieee performs just as well for a fraction of the cost, but of course it doesn't have the same cachet.

Matrix's recent pricing moves are a bit concerning. The huge price jump in the Element series has already been mentioned by others in this thread, so I won't beat that dead horse. Beyond this, though, pricing the Element S so close to the i2 seems just weird. Even worse--the new Element X2 PURE omits a very fine headphone amp and yet is priced at $100 MORE than the regular X2! I don't see why anyone would buy it, and even Matrix's own distributor struggles to justify buying the PURE version. I know it has twin DACs and some circuit upgrades, but come on...

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
LOL, well when you put it that way, it looks like a horrible deal. The i2 is priced just $80 more! Of course, you and I would agree that relative to competitive offerings from the likes of Sonore, SoTM, Lumin, Auralic, etc., the Element S looks decent. Decent, that is, if you buy into the idea that a $1000+ streamer is worthwhile. A Raspberry Pi running RoPieee performs just as well for a fraction of the cost, but of course it doesn't have the same cachet.

Matrix's recent pricing moves are a bit concerning. The huge price jump in the Element series has already been mentioned by others in this thread, so I won't beat that dead horse. Beyond this, though, pricing the Element S so close to the i2 seems just weird. Even worse--the new Element X2 PURE omits a very fine headphone amp and yet is priced at $100 MORE than the regular X2! I don't see why anyone would buy it, and even Matrix's own distributor struggles to justify buying the PURE version. I know it has twin DACs and some circuit upgrades, but come on...

I agree that for what the element S does, you can for sure build something like a Pi 4 with Touch Display for less than $300 and you get basically the same functionality as the MA element S. That is what I was using in my bedroom setup before getting the element i2. But, I was having issues with my Pi Display with RoPieee + FLIRC USB remote. My iPhone 14 Pro Max FaceTime camera was interfering with the playback functionality. Every time I unlock my iPhone with FaceTime, music paused because the IR FaceTime camera was sending the same IR code as Pause command so I wasn't able to control it with my Harmony Elite remote. Regarding prices increases, this is happening all over the electronics world for the last 3 years since the AKM factory fire and COVID started. Supply chain issues and inflation are the main cause for prices hike. The heck I remember my daughter paying $1200 for a NVIDIA RTX-3070 Ti GPU back in 2022. Just 2 weeks ago I got a RTX 4070 Ti for $829. Matrix Audio have never been cheap. They are High End HiFi. They bring good customer service and reliable products which measure very well compared to the competition. I do agree the X2 Pure makes no sense when you can get the X-SABRE 3 for $1500 less.

piaseczek

@MatrixAudio,
Do you have plans to release based on the es9039pro x-sabre 4?

Pure dac, with optional external high quality streamer like element s, would be great.

Top Bottom