• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEW AUDIOPHONICS AP300-S2503E. 3E Audio 260-2-29A Amplifier

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Yes, they seem very good and very quick in responding to changes.
As for the 'Made in France', it's an exceedingly common practice. Don't get me started on 'Made in Italy' products!
To me I believe they lack a good marketing eye: if they got a better looking enclosure and added volume and/or preamp board they could have easily justified the price tag.
But I don't think those are things to really complain about.

In terms of price positioning and for equal products, let's check :
Not so bad....

VS

---------------------------

VS

-----------------------

VS

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Very nice place to live I'd say :p

I came across this building via Google Maps, not very modern)
But we don't care after all)

1702391089749.png

brunes

With shipping and taxes etc. of parts from different vendors I still don't see how I could make this much cheaper than audiophonics is offering.

I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend on the case, but even a basic drilled HIFI2000 case can be around 80-120 + shipping.

adLuke

Yes, they have positioned themselves in a nice 'no frills' price competitive area. And they're doing really well.
But I have to say another French company caught my eye and is also doing 'basic no frills' class D amplifiers: Apollon Audio
They seem tough competitor and their products seem superb.

HDavidson

Audiophonics are Top! Their after-sales service is top notch! They are competent. The prices of their products...the French tax system is difficult to beat, it is the highest in the world.

adLuke

With shipping and taxes etc. of parts from different vendors I still don't see how I could make this much cheaper than audiophonics is offering.

I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend on the case, but even a basic drilled HIFI2000 case can be around 80-120 + shipping.
I agree that after thinking a bit the price does not sound outrageous.
But the feeling of 'too much' is still there, especially considering that the USD109 price of the module itself was considered high in the first place (read the initial comments to Amir's review).
Now let's do a bit of arithmetic:
Prices on their website include margin. So summing up the price for the parts will have a margin built in.
Adding a price for assembly and an 'add on' for warranty should give you a reasonable price.
Module 3255 150eur (up from a few days ago: it's the market baby!)
Morsun Power Supply 100Eur
Interconnects+Case 100Eur? (to me its seems a bit much: the case is very unattractive to me)
So if my guess about case and connectors is roughly correct, it means work and 'warranty' comes to about Eur150.
Not great but not bad either.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I agree that after thinking a bit the price does not sound outrageous.
But the feeling of 'too much' is still there, especially considering that the USD109 price of the module itself was considered high in the first place (read the initial comments to Amir's review).
Now let's do a bit of arithmetic:
Prices on their website include margin. So summing up the price for the parts will have a margin built in.
Adding a price for assembly and an 'add on' for warranty should give you a reasonable price.
Module 3255 150eur (up from a few days ago: it's the market baby!)
Morsun Power Supply 100Eur
Interconnects+Case 100Eur? (to me its seems a bit much: the case is very unattractive to me)
So if my guess about case and connectors is roughly correct, it means work and 'warranty' comes to about Eur150.
Not great but not bad either.
1702393709447.png

I don't think ~€100.00 is unreasonable for an assembled product.

You will have to factor in a few more euros for wire and connectors and based on previous projects this would take me several hours to assemble. Marking out and drilling all the necessary holes for the switches and sockets, etc. can be quite time consuming.

Attachments

• 1702393637430.png
    1702393637430.png
    301.1 KB · Views: 59

MCH

Major Contributor
And don't forget VAT includes margin as well. Audiophonics gets 400 euros from each amp they sell.
And you still need to subtract free shipping to EU from that.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
View attachment 333673

You will have to factor in a few more euros for wire and connectors and based on previous projects this would take me several hours to assemble. Marking out and drilling all the necessary holes for the switches and sockets, etc. can be quite time consuming.

The price is quite fair but the margins remain very generous, believe me) @499€ they already generate a good profit. The cost price should be around €180 / unit,
the more they sell, the smaller it will be....

Repdetect

Forum Donor
Nice to see a complete amplifier offer.
I am not attracted to it due to the price: a few days back the board was priced at USD109!
Probably I would feel differently if they embellished the offer with volume control/preamp as @natna mentioned.
It makes me more willing to build my own.
However, I think the price is justified considering the high demand they are anticipating after the great reviews of ASR.
Also, I think they believe the demand will be short-lived as Fosi/Aiyima and possibly Topping will follow with their version: I am not an engineer but I don't think that the PSFB design will be hard to replicate.
It might be a good idea to wait and see if competition will drive prices down.
if they embellished the offer with volume control/preamp- and how about a remote control at the same time?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But I have to say another French company caught my eye and is also doing 'basic no frills' class D amplifiers: Apollon Audio
They seem tough competitor and their products seem superb.
Apollon is from Slovenia.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i wonder if there's some weird EU CE type testing charge or fee?

if they're selling you a box of parts and you do the assembly them its YOUR responsibility it doesnt do something weird to the power socket etc.

where i am they're a bit anal about certification of products that plug into power, into ethernet, into rj11 you get the idea

but a random box of parts? we dont know what that is

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I finally finished my 3E Audio Dual Mono project :

adLuke

View attachment 333673

True, EUR100 is definitely not much.
But I am really surprised the cost of case and connections comes down to Eur150 as you can get little amplifiers (not much different from this) for less money and all the electronics included.
It's a complex topic I guess.
I still think I'd need to get a nicer package in order to pay Eur500 for the amplifier.

Redwine

What a run to the bottom€€$$
I sometimes just wonder whether you at all give credits to all the manufactures (including the small ones) trying to survive and still give us services and sharing their knowhow with us!

I'm from Germany and I can confirm Audiophonics is a top notch retailer für Audio-DIY. Bought a lot of stuff there because they have a fantastic collection and some unique stuff you don't find anywhere. Don't let yourself get fooled by the views in google maps. Southern french don't care about maintaining buildings. It's a chilled vibe down there, almost California like. Wholesome people, nice beaches.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
For your info : The Audiophonics 3E Audio amp has been shipped to Amir )
Wait for the review but should be the same as the 3E Audio stéréo amp

Top Bottom