• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann MT 48

Music1969

Major Contributor
Well, everything happens, even late...
Neumann's response:

"My apologies for the delay here, due to an influx with support tickets we are quite backlogged at the moment.

At present moment this configuration is not possible, though this may change with the addition of a monitoring mission coming to the MT48. As of now the MT48 operates as a mixer with four independent stereo mixes based on each output pairs.

In the case of the Neumann KH750 sub, the interface's main output (1-2) is wired directly to the sub, which then outputs to the satellite monitors. The sub is the intermediary between the monitors and the audio interface outputs. That may be an option to consider.

Best regards,
Philip Slopak
Neumann Customer Support"

Yes sorry, my post above was not clear.

Everything I mentioned above works with Monitor Mission which is only on MT-48's sibling product.

Until Monitor Mission comes to MT-48, will not be working.

Its nice that they confirmed Monitor Mission is coming though.

Titouan

Hello,
I have a question about ADAT's ports.
I have différents configurations, dipend the numer of I/O I need.
If i need more than 12, I use a RME Fireface802 and put one octamic II in the ADAT, and I want to put the MT48 in the other ADAT port.

SO. The RME didn't receive any signals from the MT48. But the MT48 receive correctly the signals from the FF802...
Frequencies are great, booth interfaces said the match is working.

It look like I don't know how to make a great rooting for the ADAT output in the MT48.

"In the software playback - direct routing", optical are activated on "5-12 channels".

Anyone understand that ?
Thanks a lot

Ifrit

Make sure your whole system is clocked from one source only, you might need to use ADAT input on your MT48 to clock from one of the 802 ADAT outputs, or from Octamic output, if it has two.
RME makes a point to that in all their manuals.

It is possible that you need to route input signals on your MT48 to ADAT outputs. Mine is still sealed, but on Anubis it’s all easiest done in ANEMAN, software routing matrix.

Last edited:

Titouan

After some words with the neumann support it seems it's not possible to route the ADAT outputs of the MT48 without a DAW..... !!!

fabien.56

After some words with the neumann support it seems it's not possible to route the ADAT outputs of the MT48 without a DAW..... !!!
Well for now it's just a pale copy of the Anubis!!!
We're waiting for at least a monitor mission...

Ifrit

Try this.
Settings - usb i/o - software playback direct routing - optical -turn it off.
in your mixes - bus routing - adat to mixes (L-R to 1-2) for ll needed channels. In each of the mixes pan needed inputs hard L and R, turn down all the unused ones. That should get you going. If you need just four analog inputs it will be just two mixes.
I just did it on mine, but don’t have any ADAT devices handy, so can’t confirm for sure. Should work though.

Well for now it's just a pale copy of the Anubis!!!
We're waiting for at least a monitor mission...
Anubis doesn’t have USB nor ADAT, so monitor mission there doesn’t do any routing like that.

fabien.56

Neumann MT 48 Firmware Update v1.5.6
We are pleased to release a new Firmware update for the MT 48!
The new Toolkit version 1.5.6 brings improvements and stability fixes that will enhance your MT 48 workflows. We recommend that you update your MT 48 to this new version. Installing this version ensures that you have the latest updates and features.
Updates & Improvements:
▪️
Improved touch support: EQ frequency can now be adjusted directly from the TFT with a finger touch, or via the Remote App with a mouse or trackpad.
▪️
The A/B link speakers mode under Settings>Monitoring now links volume of A & B monitors, a delta can be configured under the Audio Outputs settings.
▪️
We increased the number of modules that can be peered
▪️
Improved detection when MT 48 is used in RAVENNA-AES67 mode
▪️
Fixed: MTupdater or Remove Control windows were not always opening on some systems
▪️
Fixed: GPIO talkback latch disable behavior
1f517.png
Download the latest version right away (link in bio)!
Come and visit us at the AES convention in New York to see the Neumann MT 48 on display.
When: October 25th 2023 to October 27th 2023
Stand Number: Demo Room 3D03 & 3D04

Source :

Mickael Marin

Hi,

If anyone have the anubis and MT48 it is possible to compare the rtl latency of both devices ?

Actually I have an Orion studio sc but it is overkill for my usage in terms of in/out. I have only a moog rme and mic so the input on mT48/anubis for my use will be ok

the only thing that makes me hesitate is the latency of this devices (my antelope is very good on this side with thunderbolt).

Anubis use ASIO RAVENNA/AES67 via network and I m very curious about the RTL latency vs MT48 usb

If Anubis have a good RTL latency I think I will go on it because I want to use sonarwork reference.

If rtl is not very good I think I will go on MT48 for the optical in/out and connect my orion studio sc. (I know optical add latency but it s under 1ms or less)

Thanks

Mickael

Ifrit

Sonarworks has its own latency, and that is much bigger than rtl of the asio driver plus host.

Mickael Marin

Sonarworks has its own latency, and that is much bigger than rtl of the asio driver plus host.
I know that but I can disable sonarwork if I want. My question is just about the raw rtl latency of this 2 interfaces (MT48 and Anubis) in comparison to antelope orion studio sc.

mk1classic

Hi,

If anyone have the anubis and MT48 it is possible to compare the rtl latency of both devices ?

Actually I have an Orion studio sc but it is overkill for my usage in terms of in/out. I have only a moog rme and mic so the input on mT48/anubis for my use will be ok

the only thing that makes me hesitate is the latency of this devices (my antelope is very good on this side with thunderbolt).

Anubis use ASIO RAVENNA/AES67 via network and I m very curious about the RTL latency vs MT48 usb

If Anubis have a good RTL latency I think I will go on it because I want to use sonarwork reference.

If rtl is not very good I think I will go on MT48 for the optical in/out and connect my orion studio sc. (I know optical add latency but it s under 1ms or less)

Thanks

Mickael
"... The round-trip latency (RTL) from analogue in to analogue out can potentially be under 20 samples, and it stays under 30 samples even when the Anubis is connected to a computer."

Ref

Mickael Marin

"... The round-trip latency (RTL) from analogue in to analogue out can potentially be under 20 samples, and it stays under 30 samples even when the Anubis is connected to a computer."

Ref
I know and I read the soundonsound review but I have a doubt. 30 samples is very small it mean with 48khz you have 30/48000 = 0.625ms of latency. I believe for direct monitoring it s possible without asio but RTL when you use the asio in your daw there is more latency I think.
Anyone made a test with RTL utility ?

Thanks

Ifrit

Anubis on Ravenna, buffer at 64 samples, MAD driver buffer in the pics:
96_128.png
96_256.png
96_512.png
96_1024.png

MT48 on Ravenna:
N_96_256.png
N_96_512.png
N_96_1024.png

MT48 on USB:
N_USB_96_16.png
N_USB_96_32.png
N_USB_96_64.png
N_USB_96_128.png
N_USB_96_256.png
N_USB_96_512.png
N_USB_96_1024.png
N_USB_96_2048.png
N_USB_96_4096.png

Everything is done at 96k, gives you enough idea what the latency is. Sonarworks increases latency considerably.

Goldior

Having a huge problem setting up the MT48, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I just started using this interface yesterday and it seems the setup process is chock full of issues.

I’m on windows 10 on the following system specs Ryzen 5900x
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula X570
Corsair 32GB Vengeance pro
6TB NVME SSD
RTX 4080

1. The usb c to c does not work when plugged directly into my motherboard. I have to use the USB C to A cable.

2. The MT48Agent software is a mess. When the MT48 is plugged in, it lags terribly. Takes over 10 seconds to display anything when I right click to access any advanced features.

3. Speaking of advanced features, none of them work. Anything that is supposed to bring me to a browser window just times out. The updater also bugs out - when I click on update firmware, it downloads and then promptly says “firmware update failed”

The MT48 is however recognised by Sonarworks and other applications, and works fine. But I am unable to use anything that is related to the MT48Agent software.

What is happening here? I’ve installed and reinstalled everything from the latest toolkit, to bonjour, to Microsoft distributables.

Attachments

• c5277483-22a4-442f-9f37-34447b06fe5f.jpeg
    c5277483-22a4-442f-9f37-34447b06fe5f.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 85a996a6-cdc5-496c-a85d-fe88e202293a.jpeg
    85a996a6-cdc5-496c-a85d-fe88e202293a.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 3865e6a1-5fd1-47eb-b2ef-d4e4d884638c.jpeg
    3865e6a1-5fd1-47eb-b2ef-d4e4d884638c.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 44

PureLIN

Having a huge problem setting up the MT48, any help would be greatly appreciated!
1. I recommend you use MAD rather than USB when using MT48 with windows desktop, more function less limit. MT48 need connect to a seprate NIC on PCIE (almost every network port on motherboard is, you can use a usb NIC for internet)

2. If you insist using it on usb, plese check you network setting in control panel. The USB on MT48 is a composite device with usb audio and network adapter, network is using for remote control and firmware update. If you connect both MT48 network port and USB port to same windows device, it may have conflict, that is infromed in manual.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Does it now unlock the 12+ band Parametric EQ per channel like Anubis has ?

ENDzZ

The issue that DAW1 jumper is forced replaced by USB connection after every restart, even if USB I/Os are completely turned off, still exists. Is there anybody experiencing the same issues? I have submitted this bug in last July, but never got a feedback. And it has lain in the known issues for months. A bit disappointed.

Hemi-Demon

I wonder why Neumann did include a coaxial output to run digital direct to the monitors/subwoofer(s) versus the optical toslink port, that will require an adapter.

Top Bottom