• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEOHIPO ET30 VU Meter Speaker Switcher Review

Rate this VU meter/Selector

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 51 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 149 70.3%

• Total voters

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I the first to have a failure? Meters were stuck. I tried to press the buttons on the front, no change of state, turned the knob for colors, no change of state, unplugged and plugged in, will respond sluggishly after several presses but doesn't work right, eventually just stuck again. Same behavior on a different 5v power source. I'm on a bad run for this kind of stuff. My 2nd PA5 is out on warranty right now. Had a NAD M10 die in the last couple years also.

From what I have observed, I would definitely blame the cats. They crave attention and seem to sabotage anything that gets in the way. Am convinced all these are hairball clogs!;)

GPJ

Am I the first to have a failure? Meters were stuck. I tried to press the buttons on the front, no change of state, turned the knob for colors, no change of state, unplugged and plugged in, will respond sluggishly after several presses but doesn't work right, eventually just stuck again. Same behavior on a different 5v power source. I'm on a bad run for this kind of stuff. My 2nd PA5 is out on warranty right now. Had a NAD M10 die in the last couple years also.

Could you provide info on how you hooked it up?

my book says they provide 24 month warranty service .... [email protected]

Mine has been working very well. I don't use it as a switching device, but just using the VU meters. I chose to run only a single set of wires from the speakers to the ET30 into the speaker 1 jacks. Nothing else is hooked to the ET30. The needles are responding perfectly.

The only issue I had was with using rechargeable NiMH batteries in the remote. The remote acted like it was broken with intermittent operation. Then I switched to standard alkaline batteries and now it works perfectly with good range.

I paid $115 a couple weeks back when Aliexpress was having their sale. Really happy so far.

iLoveCats

Could you provide info on how you hooked it up?

my book says they provide 24 month warranty service .... [email protected]

Mine has been working very well. I don't use it as a switching device, but just using the VU meters. I chose to run only a single set of wires from the speakers to the ET30 into the speaker 1 jacks. Nothing else is hooked to the ET30. The needles are responding perfectly.

The only issue I had was with using rechargeable NiMH batteries in the remote. The remote acted like it was broken with intermittent operation. Then I switched to standard alkaline batteries and now it works perfectly with good range.

I paid $115 a couple weeks back when Aliexpress was having their sale. Really happy so far.
I have the amplifier (Topping PA5 until it died, Ayima A07 temporarily now) hooked to the the device and then the speakers also hooked up to the device. I'm not using it for any switching.

I just processed the return through Amazon and I dropped it off and I'm getting another in return.

Reactions: GPJ

djb

Just found this thread. Some people are just obtuse. To those that are confused, this is just bling….spinners for your system. I’ll get one for the light show. I may see if I can adjust the sensativity so it goes into the red above 90 db. If not, I’ll still enjoy the pretty bouncing needles.

djb

Touche, should have specified the VU function. No one is arguing about the functionality of the switcher, just the accuracy of VU measurements.

djb

The came back in stock, so I ordered one too.

Can someone please explain the parallel wiring? If not, I’ll just use the mic input.

GPJ

The came back in stock, so I ordered one too.

Can someone please explain the parallel wiring? If not, I’ll just use the mic input.

The best result for me was to just run speaker wire from each speaker back to the ET-30 as shown in the diagram. The VU needles react perfectly and there is no affect at all on the audio. I don't use it as a switcher and only use one set of speakers. Also, I tried the MIC input and it was lackluster. The reaction is much better on the wire (as it should be).

Option3a.jpg

Reactions: djb

djb

Thanks GPJ. This was my guess; thank you for the diagram.

I should be in VU nirvana in about 2 weeks.

GPJ

Thanks GPJ. This was my guess; thank you for the diagram.

I should be in VU nirvana in about 2 weeks.

Sure, and you don't need heavy gauge wire back to ET30. Enjoy!

Megaken

Can this be used as just a VU meter with one amp and one set of speakers? No switching.

D

Deleted member 48726

Can this be used as just a VU meter with one amp and one set of speakers? No switching.
I think it has been mentioned many times, and also in the review, that you can parallel wire the thing.

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
I bought this NC252MP based amp from audiophonics, which is widthwise a great match for the neohipo.
audiophonics-ap300-s250nc

amp.jpg

The amp costs 549€ and has a great feature set (XLR, RCA, adjustable gain). Amps from audiophonics have been reviewed positively by amir, so the implementation of the amp should be solid.

Never heard highs this clear and base this deep ;-)

EDIT: I forgot. The amp also has trigger in functionality.

Last edited:

djb

I have had this for a couple weeks and love it. It's bling, but I think even my wife thinks it is pretty cool.

Cal_Cobra

I ordered these three amplifier/speaker switchers w/VU meters to test them out:

Fosi Audio LC30:
1711307635499.jpeg

Erisu Audio:

1711307777064.png

And the NEOHIPO ET30 reviewed here:

1711308071078.png

It'll be interesting to test out all three models, but I may already be biased towards the Neohipo ET30 with it's adjustable RGB LED colored VU meters, McIntosh blue will look great!

I think all of the makers of these amplifier/speaker switchers are missing the mark to a degree, first it would be nice to have the ability to have more than two amps to select. Second, in this day and age, they should all come with adjustable RGB LED colored VU meters, kudos to Neohipo for taking the lead there. Now how about more inputs, or even assignable ones so if say you had three amps, and one pair of speakers you could mix and match the four inputs/outputs as needed. The main reason I purchased three of these, one just wasn't going to cut the mustard!

Cal_Cobra

Nice test Amir. Cool gadget.:D

I assume the NEOHIPO ET30 is the same as the Fosi Audio ET30 Dual Analog VU Meter? Especially when it says Neohipo on the remote control that is sold together with the Fosi Audio ET30.They look the same anyway.

The Fosi does not have adjustable RGP LED colors on the VU meters, they're a static color. I'll have both soon and can post side by side shots of them.

Top Bottom