• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEOHIPO ET30 VU Meter Speaker Switcher Review

Rate this VU meter/Selector

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 51 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 149 70.3%

• Total voters

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BUT VU meters cost money to make if they are good...just ask McIntosh

McIntosh do not function as VU meters. Instead, they rectify voltage/current to give you a power (watt) reading at the speaker terminal. I believe they also have a peak-hold function. Or at least they did.

I've said something like that before in another thread, but I'll say it again: That thing is wasted money. Put 350 Euros on the table (or get it used for less) and get a TC Electronics Clarity M and you'll have something serious and not a toy that's basically just a light show and doesn't show any valuable information.

The device you mention features a USB input. While no doubt a better 'instrument' I'm not sure how one might hook it up to a typical amplifier in a typical living room system. But I did not download the manual to check, so it might be easily done.

beagleman

Major Contributor
McIntosh do not function as VU meters. Instead, they rectify voltage/current to give you a power (watt) reading at the speaker terminal. I believe they also have a peak-hold function. Or at least they did.

The device you mention features a USB input. While no doubt a better 'instrument' I'm not sure how one might hook it up to a typical amplifier in a typical living room system. But I did not download the manual to check, so it might be easily done.
Almost all VU and Power meters are simply reading voltage, and assuming either 8 or 4 ohms as a standard speaker "Load"

The value derived is usually obviously just an approximation as speaker loads are not actual resistive, but vary with frequency.

musicforcities

If you're unsure if you need something like this and you mainly use your PC to listen to music, you may want to first try some free VST VU Meters and/or spectrum analyzer plugins. I have them running most of the time (hidden), but sometimes like to check (mostly the spectrum). I do have enough screen real estate though...

I just use a VST Host, voicemeeter banana and some free VSTs.

(I installed the VST after selling the Motu 2, I missed its display. Now I've settled for the Motherboard sound device and a Qudelix - I don't use EQ VSTs, both the Q5 and the KH80 already have).

View attachment 334789

If you're unsure if you need something like this and you mainly use your PC to listen to music, you may want to first try some free VST VU Meters and/or spectrum analyzer plugins. I have them running most of the time (hidden), but sometimes like to check (mostly the spectrum). I do have enough screen real estate though...

I just use a VST Host, voicemeeter banana and some free VSTs.

(I installed the VST after selling the Motu 2, I missed its display. Now I've settled for the Motherboard sound device and a Qudelix - I don't use EQ VSTs, both the Q5 and the KH80 already have).

View attachment 334789

No one NEEDS analog vu meters in 2023, physical or software simulated. They are audio shelf “bling”. Eye candy, ornamentation, ‘member berries, nostalgic fetishs, pimp my hi fi lighting effects.

And in that role, ONLY real meters with a HUGE yet elegant face will suffice. IMAO.

And lo, the 1970s hi-fi angles said unto thee: “behold the magnificence of the LUXMAN M2000/M4000/M6000, and let thine software meters be put asunder by its mighty vu meters, needles dancing amidst warm illumination, its led peak level indicators twinkling beneath in mighty union. Behold these meters held by 6mm of brushed stainless and despair!”

Hey, I could easily get two 3e 25xx mono units and two psu inside a broken beyond repair m2000…but getting the drivers to work would be far to difficult or impossible.

But think of this:
The tungsten lights on the Luxman meters alone probably use more power than many better performing than today’s entire class d amps capable at idle. Including equivalents of the Luxman in power, running 100-125wpc at 8ohm . and likely with far better sinad etc.

I guess one can just put this thing on your shelf and stick a class D or a couple class d monoblocks somewhere noscript or in a vented cabinet.

Heck, want the vintage look? one could stick two bridged aiyima a07 max’s behind it with a few inches of speaker wire connecting the two, throw it all in open front wood enclosure the VU meter box slides into perfectly and leave the back open for venting and connections

Pity they don’t sell thins thing in brushed silver anodized . At least the face plate.

Last edited:

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How is this different from the Douk Audio VU-3?

I bought and then returned two of these because when you switched inputs or changed volume the meters dimmed along with the action.

Kevinfc

I need to figure out a way to take this apart and put it into my next DIY build. The meters look great.

Gary_G

Eye candy

Attachments

• 20231218_153002.jpg
    20231218_153002.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 164

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

new2hifi

In summer of 2007, during Home Entertainment New York 2007, I attended a workshop by Bob Cordell. He was using his DIY digital Peak/Average Power Display to show how most amplifiers are routinely driven into clipping. He was using a high dynamic range recording, Ghetto of My Mind by Rickie Lee Jones. At very loud listening levels, while the average meter will show 1 or 2 watts, the peak meter will show momentary peaks of 200 plus watts on its digital display.

That meter was the most interesting thing in that show. Have anyone else has ever seen such thing?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yep, build myself one decades ago already (using a Velleman display) and used orange LED's (they look red but are orange).
power meter.JPG

It could measure a Dirac pulse's peak power (fast rise and slow decay)
To make the device universal (had several amps) I could set the peak power output to a desired level (above at 120W/8ohm) and I could see when clipping levels were reached.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I might hook it up one day and shoot a video of the meters moving.
It is somewhere in the attic.

Yes, I am very much looking forward to seeing your video(s), since I took my videos in response to your kind request!:D
- Dancing video of my IEC 60268-17 compatible large glass-face DIY 12-VU-Meter Array
_____Part-1:
with "High Frequency Linearity Check Track" of Sony Super Audio Check CD: #750
_____Part-2: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-1: #751
_____Part-3: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-2: #752
_____Part-4: with typical "Jazz Piano Trio Music": #753

Last edited:

NEOHIPO

Ordered my eye candy!
Hello everyone, we are the NEOHIPO team. Although we are new members registered on ASR, we have actually been following the ASR forum for quite some time. We are thrilled that you all like the NEOHIPO ET30 product. We greatly value the valuable suggestions from ASR forum members and hope to engage in more discussions in the days ahead.

Daviede

From Reddit with two fossi v3 for size comparison…yea maybe it could fit the 3e module in there…

Maybe even a couple of the mono 3e modules (with external psu or in the center maybe). All depends on interior layout and how the speaker jacks are mounted I suppose. I suspect it’s mostly empty

Oh yeah…

View attachment 334790
expectation

Top Bottom