• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEOHIPO ET30 VU Meter Speaker Switcher Review

Rate this VU meter/Selector

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 51 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 149 70.3%

• Total voters

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly expected a reduction in sound quality, but I could not appreciate it or the improvement of the external amplifier compared to the AVR.
The measurements support that. Anything that's over 90dB in the SINAD etc category is transparent, pretty much. We just have a lot of people that delude themselves into hearing such minute differences. The problem with people knowing about measurements is that sometimes people think they can really experience the difference. Whether a car makes 0-60 in 6 seconds or 5 seconds... they are darn fast and if you use that potential off every red light, you won't have a driver's license for long anyhow. :) And your first $2k tire upgrade after 4k miles will teach you to not drive like that anyhow. :)

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
You all bunch of noobs, if you really want to VU-meter your system, don't waste your time in minimalist decoration and go the @dualazmak way

View attachment 334415

PS: which also shows that in a multichannel system it can be even useful
This one is on my 65 inch tv and it’s free on the Kauna visualizer app along with a bunch of cool visual effects.
IMG_0117.jpeg

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the Mic on the front is a light which when on means the microphone in the back is driving the display levels rather than line levels on the speakers. So an SPL driven mode apparently. You could use that and not even connect it to anything else I suppose.
But then the microphone's mere presence will affect the microdetails of the music. No, we need top spend at least $5000 and have tubes to run our VU meters.

AzReciOn

I want to echo the comments that it would be nice to know how well this functions as a switcher. I would love to have something that can switch the power for my tower speakers between (A) an AV surround receiver with limited power and fidelity and (B) a dedicated audio amp.
Once again, I support the idea (although I personally do not need it, but I often hear a similar question about switching). From what I see in the available measurements, this device is transparent enough for those cases where it is really necessary (in other cases, I would suggest using it parallel). The only thing is, until we have more detailed measurements and tests, I would first turn off one amplifier, and only then turn on the other.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even though personal nostalgia and preference are the major motivations for my IEC 60268-17 compatible DIY 12-VU-Meter Array, at least in my DSP-based multichannel system (ref. here for the latest setup), it also has practical role and value together with various Peak Meters in digital domain on audio dedicated silent PC screen.

In PC-DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active audio system, we should be much careful enough protecting our treasure SP drivers, as I recently described here on my project thread rather intensively.

The various multichannel Peak Meters monitoring all the I/O in digital domain on PC screen and the DIY 12-VU-Meter Array monitoring the actual SP-high-level signals of multiple amplifiers all together greatly help me in performing/confirming my proper and safe "ignition/startup sequences" and "shutdown sequences".

I assume you may easily understand what I mean here if you would read my post here on such sequences and looking at the below diagram showing the digital Peak Meters on screen and the physical IEC 60268-17 compatible DIY 12-VU-Meter Array;
WS00006667.JPG

Roland301

Whoah nice, this looks like it uses an active buffer to drive the VUs instead of drawing from speaker signal and introducing distortion... is there such a box available for line level RCA/XLR?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oooh, want! But… how would I connect this to a digital Genelec setup?
This... I would love something where I could just tune it to 100dB to watch out for my hearing.

Reactions: djb

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How would you even set the level correctly without an analyzer to know when your amp is clipping or actually at 0dB?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How would you even set the level correctly without an analyzer to know when your amp is clipping or actually at 0dB?
You could use a dummy load and a simple voltmeter. You would need to know the max input to get to clipping point which you can get from my measurements.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @amirm, let me ask again, please.

I still do not know the face of ET30 VU meter is glass or acrylic plastic, would you kindly let us know which?

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello @amirm, let me ask again, please.

I still do not know the face of ET30 VU meter is glass or acrylic plastic, would you kindly let us know which?
It is some kind of plastic.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Luxman AS-50R​

It is silly expensive at full retail but you will find it used on eBay for a good price occasionally. I will send one in to Amir to test if he’s interested.
At this rate its gonna be easier for Amir to send you the AP and the Klippel.

Top Bottom