• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD T778 Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) Review

Flak

Industry Insider

WilliamO

This is where I am currently. I need to pick one of these three set ups:

1. NAD T778 with external amplification. Use T778 for movies and stereo
2. NAD T778 with external amplification + Cambridge Audio Azur 851N for stereo
3. Emotiva BasX MC1 with external amplification + Cambridge Audio Azur 851N for stereo

5.2.4 External Amplification:
L/R - Outlaw Audio 2220 1ea
Outlaw Audio 7000x

WilliamO

I have a Cambridge Audio CXUHD as transport

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Link to Amir's review of the Cambridge audio.

WilliamO

Thank you for the link, but I'm not quite sure if that provides any insight. Possible quality issues? All information I find on the Azur 851N is highly positive.

WilliamO

I believe I read on another thread you replace your? T778 with an Anthem. Why so?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe I read on another thread you replace your? T778 with an Anthem. Why so?
I did.
A few reasons. I switched to an Anthem mrx1140 in priority order.
1) The video feed to my projector was dropping in and out and cutting out with the NAD. It was a 30' HDMI run. The Anthem was rock solid.
2) the bass extension was better and I was getting more bass SPL at the same listening level with the Anthem. Specifically the subwoofer outputs were higher nominal voltage and so the subwoofers would kick on and the sub amps were able to reach full power. I blind tested this on my wife. With the NAD she never complained about the noise when she was sitting upstairs. With the Anthem at the same 70-75db listening level at the same part of my test movie, she would text me that the system was vibrating her butt on the couch. :)
3) they were the same price. Specifically I am running 11 channels so I also bought the external NAD 2ch amp to run the rear heights. Which brought the NAD total price up to the same price as the Anthem.

WilliamO

I did.
A few reasons. I switched to an Anthem mrx1140 in priority order.
1) The video feed to my projector was dropping in and out and cutting out with the NAD. It was a 30' HDMI run. The Anthem was rock solid.
2) the bass extension was better and I was getting more bass SPL at the same listening level with the Anthem. Specifically the subwoofer outputs were higher nominal voltage and so the subwoofers would kick on and the sub amps were able to reach full power. I blind tested this on my wife. With the NAD she never complained about the noise when she was sitting upstairs. With the Anthem at the same 70-75db listening level at the same part of my test movie, she would text me that the system was vibrating her butt on the couch. :)
3) they were the same price. Specifically I am running 11 channels so I also bought the external NAD 2ch amp to run the rear heights. Which brought the NAD total price up to the same price as the Anthem.
Great reply. Thank you. I am just not really interested in the Anthem. I REALLY like the look of the NAD. Do you think I go wrong with the NAD? This is just in my upstairs family room / play room, not in the theater. That's reserved for McIntosh. ;)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great reply. Thank you. I am just not really interested in the Anthem. I REALLY like the look of the NAD. Do you think I go wrong with the NAD? This is just in my upstairs family room / play room, not in the theater. That's reserved for McIntosh. ;)
It should be fine. But the video cut outs kept happening even with a short cable and a different projector. So I'd make sure you get one new under warranty and can easily return it if you run into a functionality problem like I did. I liked the look and the BlueOS functionality a lot. Wish it didn't end up having problems.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
You will be looking at it a lot.

withoutsuit

It can´t handle multiple subs, right? So for multi sub, still a minidsp would be required - which avr´s in this price range can really handle multiple subs?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It can´t handle multiple subs, right? So for multi sub, still a minidsp would be required - which avr´s in this price range can really handle multiple subs?
It has 2 sub outs but treats them as one for room correction purposes. The Anthem mrx1140 handles 2 subs independently and is the same price if you include the NAD external 2ch amp for 11 channels of amplification.

withoutsuit

It has 2 sub outs but treats them as one for room correction purposes. The Anthem mrx1140 handles 2 subs independently and is the same price if you include the NAD external 2ch amp for 11 channels of amplification.
Thank you! Do you know, if it's possible to configure different distances of sub out 1 and sub out 2 (whereas the same signal)?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! Do you know, if it's possible to configure different distances of sub out 1 and sub out 2 (whereas the same signal)?
Not for the NAD. It's one channel split to 2 output jacks. For the Anthem Mrx1140 yes. You can set delay, phase, crossover, and volume level independently.

audio8

I am setting up my home theater with custom high end audiophile speakers. I am into high end audio so I am building a custom room that will be optimized for both stereo audio and a 5.1.4 Atmos setup. I do have a separate 2 channel setup for music, but I would love to replace it with just one receiver for the sake of simplicity, as long as it doesn't degrade the sound quality too much... using a separate 2 channel setup just adds too much complication.

So my big question is: with the above goal in mind, I have two main contenders for the processor/receiver for my setup and looking for opinions: should I choose the NAD T778 or the Marantz Cinema 50? I haven't listened to either one yet (I live in Germany and I don't know any resellers here who have both so I could compare the sound). I eventually will, but I am trying to see if any of the two I can eliminate without even trying it because there is some kind of a deal breaker... One thing I noticed is that the Marantz has 8k capability and the NAD doesn't, and since I will have a JVC NZ7 projector which is 8k capable, that could be more future proof. I know that NAD is upgradble but who knows when, and at what price will an 8k module d be available, if at all.

withoutsuit

From today perspective: I would wait for the new Denon-Receivers. XT32+Dirac optional and 4 independent Sub Outs (which leads to the hope of dirac live bass control).

audio8

From today perspective: I would wait for the new Denon-Receivers. XT32+Dirac optional and 4 independent Sub Outs (which leads to the hope of dirac live bass control).
Thank you - I checked the Denons, and while I am sure they make great home theater receivers, in the stereo sound department, they are not up to par with the top of the line NAD and Marantz units - and stereo is really important for me.

Marantz Cinema 50 also has 4 independent sub outs, and according to AudioAdvice, they said a Dirac add-on is in the works as a paid upgrade coming in mid 2023.

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
That is also my opinion. I have the T778 for 2 years and had the Denon X4400H.

Advantages of the Denon AVR-X3800H over the T778:

• 4 independent subwoofer outputs (T778: two identical). However, it's far from clear if there will ever be a Dirac Live Bass Control for it.
  • no fan
  • volume can be set for each input source. This is one of the biggest drawbacks of the T778, that you can't. You have to be very (very!) careful when switching from AppleTV to BluOS, for example.
  • Amir will get much better measurement results than with the T778
  • cheaper

Advantages of the T778 over the Denon AVR-X3800H

• much nicer display
  • BluOS is nicer than HEOS in my opinion
  • A/V presets allow very flexible setting options
  • Remote control is better (lights up strongly and with motion sensor, which is very practical)

audio8

That is also my opinion. I have the T778 for 2 years and had the Denon X4400H.

Advantages of the Denon AVR-X3800H over the T778:

• 4 independent subwoofer outputs (T778: two identical). However, it's far from clear if there will ever be a Dirac Live Bass Control for it.
  • no fan
  • volume can be set for each input source. This is one of the biggest drawbacks of the T778, that you can't. You have to be very (very!) careful when switching from AppleTV to BluOS, for example.
  • Amir will get much better measurement results than with the T778
  • cheaper

Advantages of the T778 over the Denon AVR-X3800H

• much nicer display
  • BluOS is nicer than HEOS in my opinion
  • A/V presets allow very flexible setting options
  • Remote control is better (lights up strongly and with motion sensor, which is very practical)
Thank you! I am not really considering a Denon due to their (lack of) high end quality of the 2 channel sound, so it's really a decision between the Marantz and the NAD. I also like BluOS and the touch screen of the NAD, but since I will have a 2 channel setup with the processor in the front of the room, between the stereo main speakers, I think the big and bright display may be distracting when watching a movie. Is there an option to turn the display off?

Top Bottom