• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C658 Streaming DAC Review

In domestic situations balanced has almost no benefit. You could try the unbalanced RCA connections.

Porter

Wait your Rogue has balanced inputs that can only handle 2.5V? That would be unusual.

Have you tried turning down the gain on the Rogue? It's selectable I believe.

Re-lar-Kvothe

Wait your Rogue has balanced inputs that can only handle 2.5V? That would be unusual.

Have you tried turning down the gain on the Rogue? It's selectable I believe.
Apparently that is true.

From Nick at Rogue after I sent my preamp for inspection and repair:

"This was an early production model and the overload voltage on the input was somewhat low. With the updates it can now handle appx. 2.5V RMS signal on the input with no issue."

----

Turning down the gain on the Rogue only impacts the output of the preamp. I was already at the minimum setting of 3dB.

terfenol-D

Stupid question time? How are you hooking up your computers to use REW with no UBS input?

sharock

I had the convoluted method of HDMI cable from my Nvidia GPU in PC to TV. Then TV via optical to C658.:D

terfenol-D

No optical output - just USB. I could get a converter to optical or HDMI. The HDMI to TV then optical could work as that is already hooked up! The cabinet my equipment is in is heavy and my back doesn't like me moving it around too much. I wish connections for things like were on the front of the unit.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may save the test signals to files and playback the test signals from the files for your measurements.

REW.png

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice - do you just load the file into roon?
I'd think whichever method you play WAV files (or any other types of sound files) with your system. But sorry, someone else with more experience with REW than me will have to answer questions on how exactly the measurements are actually done.

Joris881

I'm about to buy one of these unit from the second hand market.
However, I keep reading these horrible reviews about popping sounds from the subwoofer, low subwoofer output. All kinds of different problems. Most of these reviews are from 2021 or before.
Have NAD fixed these known issues through firmware updates or is this unit still a no-go?

I'd love to get some input. Thanks !

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I'd love to get some input. Thanks !

Well, I've had my C658 since late 2019 and have never experienced either popping sounds or low sub output. I seem to remember I had some mildly annoying problem with something (I can't remember what) that was fixed in the first firmware update in 2020. Since then it has worked uneventfully well ...

Jaxjax

Well, I've had my C658 since late 2019 and have never experienced either popping sounds or low sub output. I seem to remember I had some mildly annoying problem with something (I can't remember what) that was fixed in the first firmware update in 2020. Since then it has worked uneventfully well ...
Same..no problems with it since I got it. I'm running it into active Dynaudio core 59.
I run it via wifi from my laptop for streaming Amazon & also run my TT into it.

Top Bottom