• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C658 Streaming DAC Review

sharock

New Update!
BluOS 3.20.53. Released June 6, 2023.
• Improvements for NAD C658 digital inputs
• This release applies to NAD C658 only
Has anyone else noticed their C658 not waking up on LAN since this update?

I used to be able to just select it from Spotify devices and it would power on and start playing.:confused:

Flussgott

Has anyone else noticed their C658 not waking up on LAN since this update?

I used to be able to just select it from Spotify devices and it would power on and start playing.:confused:
It still works perfectly for me.
Maybe you need to enable it again in the settings?

sharock

So my device no longer outputs to the subwoofers with Dirac enabled. I can either listen with subwoofers with no correction or listen to corrected mains and no subwoofers.:oops:

I've tried factory resetting and doing a full re-calibration of Dirac. No luck. I'm contacted NAD but it seems like my device is fubar.

I noticed that in the filter design window, the subwoofer group no longer has auto target curve option for me. Is that the case for anyone else?

sub_no_autotargetcurve.JPG

KarVi71

So my device no longer outputs to the subwoofers with Dirac enabled. I can either listen with subwoofers with no correction or listen to corrected mains and no subwoofers.:oops:

I've tried factory resetting and doing a full re-calibration of Dirac. No luck. I'm contacted NAD but it seems like my device is fubar.

I noticed that in the filter design window, the subwoofer group no longer has auto target curve option for me. Is that the case for anyone else?

View attachment 293159
Have you installed / upgraded to the latest Dirac?

From the looks of your screenshot it looks like you have.

Then have a look at the change log.

There is a problem with the latest Dirac Live and NAD devices. There is a bug in the software. Their advice is to downgrade to 3.4.4

I had the exact same problem, no output (or very low) on the subwoofer, and uninstalling 3.6.5, and reinstalling 3.4.4 brought my Subwoofer back to life.

We'll have to wait for Dirac to come out with a fix for this.

Last edited:

sharock

Have you installed / upgraded to the latest Dirac?

From the looks of your screenshot it looks like you have.

Then have a look at the change log.

There is a problem with the latest Dirac Live and NAD devices. There is a bug in the software. Their advice is to downgrade to 3.4.4

I had the exact same problem, no output (or very low) on the subwoofer, and uninstalling 3.6.5, and reinstalling 3.4.4 brought my Subwoofer back to life.

We'll have to wait for Dirac to come out with a fix for this.
Haven't had the chance to reply until now. This did actually fix my issue with the subwoofers not playing, thank you! :D

I actually only upgraded to Dirac 3.6.5 after already having some problems with Dirac since updating the C658 firmware.

I'm still having problems with Network Standby not working anymore and also the IR receiver seems to be flaky all of a sudden. Even with new batteries in the remote, it doesn't seem to work too well even if I'm 30cm away pointing it at the IR receiver.

I have considered buying a Bluesound RC1 remote, although I'm not convinced it's a remote control issue. £50 for a an IR remote is a bit steep.

KarVi71

Haven't had the chance to reply until now. This did actually fix my issue with the subwoofers not playing, thank you! :D

I actually only upgraded to Dirac 3.6.5 after already having some problems with Dirac since updating the C658 firmware.

I'm still having problems with Network Standby not working anymore and also the IR receiver seems to be flaky all of a sudden. Even with new batteries in the remote, it doesn't seem to work too well even if I'm 30cm away pointing it at the IR receiver.

I have considered buying a Bluesound RC1 remote, although I'm not convinced it's a remote control issue. £50 for a an IR remote is a bit steep.
I'm sorry to hear you are having these problems.

My C658 is working as usual. The remote works as good as it always has, and the unit wakes up via LAN also.

It's hard to guess what could have gone wrong with your unit.

sharock

I'm sorry to hear you are having these problems.

My C658 is working as usual. The remote works as good as it always has, and the unit wakes up via LAN also.

It's hard to guess what could have gone wrong with your unit.

So my IR receiver and network standby problems have gone! It was the most ridiculous thing in the world...

My robot vacuum lives under my sofa and had it had managed to not dock correctly. This meant the IR transmitter on the docking station was pointing directly at the C658 and interfering with the remote's IR. It works fine now I've powered off the docking station. Weirdly, network standby suddenly works again which doesn't seem like it would be related to IR. I had just bought an RC1 remote for £50 too.:facepalm:

There is still some issue with Dirac profiles and my TV audio that I need to resolve but I'm a lot happier I can actually control the thing again with a remote.

Suddenly i had signal drops from my Cambridge CD transporter to the C658. Apparently there was an update June 6 for the digital inputs and for the C658 only. Everything solved now. I wonder what else was fixed? Perhaps also the hiccup Amir faced?

Powerdook

Hi all. New member here. I am looking for help explaining the DB limit that's in the newest update. I have always used the % for volume control, but after the update it seems they have turned down the volume? i was at around 35-40 % before the update when listening to music, but now I'm over 55 to get the same level as before. Can it be turned off or adjusted?

TIA J.D

steadilyfred

Hi all. New member here. I am looking for help explaining the DB limit that's in the newest update. I have always used the % for volume control, but after the update it seems they have turned down the volume? i was at around 35-40 % before the update when listening to music, but now I'm over 55 to get the same level as before. Can it be turned off or adjusted?

TIA J.D

I've always used the decibel scale and never had any issues applying volume limits after the BluOS update. However, I saw the following comment from a C 658 owner in another forum (note: I have not verified that it works):

"Go into the volume settings and adjust the lower limit to -60 and upper limit to 0. This brought my "normal" volume levels back in line with the displayed dB (or %) values I was used to. Essentially move the left slider to the right away from -80 to get the loudness levels back to what you're used to."

Powerdook

I've always used the decibel scale and never had any issues applying volume limits after the BluOS update. However, I saw the following comment from a C 658 owner in another forum (note: I have not verified that it works):

"Go into the volume settings and adjust the lower limit to -60 and upper limit to 0. This brought my "normal" volume levels back in line with the displayed dB (or %) values I was used to. Essentially move the left slider to the right away from -80 to get the loudness levels back to what you're used to."
Thanks for the reply. Will test it out as soon as i can and let you know if it works!

herculix

When adjusting balance on the C658 is it normal to still have an audible signal, albeit much lower, from the right when balance is adjusted full left (and vice versa)?

jorsan

Finally! The latest BluOS firmware update (3.20.52) has added volume limits for the C 658.
Hi, why is important to have volume limits?, as far as I can tell, never saw that option in other audio equipment. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

steadilyfred

Hi, why is important to have volume limits?, as far as I can tell, never saw that option in other audio equipment. Thanks in advance

The "Volume limits" setting is standard with almost every BluOS-controlled device. The C 658 initially launched with the setting, but it was disabled a short time later by firmware update. To this day, I still don't know why it was disabled.

I don't know how others use Volume limits, but I use it to prevent accidental speaker damage. I have found that adjusting hard-button volume via mobile devices can sometimes produce unpredictable results.

Bluesound describes Volume limits as follows:

Set the upper and lower limit of volume controls in the BluOS Controller App. Modifying the upper or lower volume limits of the BluOS Player allows more fidelity when adjusting the volume.

https://support.bluos.net/hc/en-us/...manage-the-Audio-Settings-on-my-BluOS-player-

Note: Not all listed BluOS settings apply to the NAD C 658

Re-lar-Kvothe

I searched but did not find an answer so I am hoping someone can give me some insight.

I use a C658 preamp as a DAC/Streamer. I then use the balanced output to send that signal to a Rogue RH-5 preamp. That goes to a Parasound A21+. The output voltage of the C658 is >4.5V (ref. 0.1%THD). The Rogue RH-5 only handles an input of 2.5V. Is there a way I can reduce/know the C658's actual output voltage so I don't damage the RH-5 preamp? Or is there something here I don't understand (likely)?

Thanks,

Jay

Porter

I searched but did not find an answer so I am hoping someone can give me some insight.

I use a C658 preamp as a DAC/Streamer. I then use the balanced output to send that signal to a Rogue RH-5 preamp. That goes to a Parasound A21+. The output voltage of the C658 is >4.5V (ref. 0.1%THD). The Rogue RH-5 only handles an input of 2.5V. Is there a way I can reduce/know the C658's actual output voltage so I don't damage the RH-5 preamp? Or is there something here I don't understand (likely)?

Thanks,

Jay
That's max voltage at full reference output, with the volume all the way up. If you aren't clipping you may not need to adjust it, but you can lower the max volume limit of the C658 in the settings if you need to. It's totally arbitrary, effectively the same as lowering the volume knob.

Re-lar-Kvothe

I heard the clipping and turned the volume down until all sounded good, then fixed it at the level. My concern is if I have a preamp with 2.5V max input spec any output voltage above 2.5V from the NAD would damage something in the RH=5's circuitry.

Top Bottom