• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

TomJ

Clean layout, AC shielded, nice heat sinks. NAD SMPS, Jianghai caps...

Note the ARM micro near the USB service connector. Are they running the amp modules in SW mode for readout of their I2C state registers during diagnostics, and perhaps to run auto test during power up? That would be impressive at this price point. Likewise the M33?

ARM micro in C 298.png

Last edited:

lalit09

Reshuffled cables and just went sut to mc in on c658 and loving the sound now - added benefit sub now connected to line out on c298 so much cleaner on pre
Hi, I too have c658 and I really like it. I am planning to get kef r3 or m16 speaker.
also need a power amp how do you like c298? is it on par with class an amp like rotel, Cambridge ,para sound?

Last edited:

PuX

what do you use/would use as the preamp for a good power amp?

one of the preamps measured here (Schiit Freya S) performed well (although 2 tests were different) at a reasonable cost, but was discontinued recently :facepalm:

lalit09

one of the preamps measured here (Schiit Freya S) performed well (although 2 tests were different) at a reasonable cost, but was discontinued recently :facepalm:
I am having c658 and using it as preamp

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I suppose most people here use the DAC directly connected to the power amplifier using only digital volume, or if the DAC has it, adjust to a lower gain and a few dBs of digital volume.
This NAD here has gain adjustment so it would make sense to lower the gain in the power amp and only fine tune the volume digitally in the DAC.

zachery2006

I have minidsp SHD and topping E30.

lappy

Got my C298 today. Brief late night low volume listening....very good first impression. I was concerned that the auto on feature was going to be to slow...but it turns on in 1-2 seconds. Very nice.

lalit09

Got my C298 today. Brief late night low volume listening....very good first impression. I was concerned that the auto on feature was going to be to slow...but it turns on in 1-2 seconds. Very nice.
You pairing it with 658?

lappy

Hm, I thought the auto sense feature was supposed to put it back into standby after a period of inactivity...but it was still on after a full night of inactivity. Anyone familiar with the Nad auto sense feature?

lalit09

Hm, I thought the auto sense feature was supposed to put it back into standby after a period of inactivity...but it was still on after a full night of inactivity. Anyone familiar with the Nad auto sense feature?
Trigger not working?

lappy

Trigger not working?
I don't know. I thought the auto sense was supposed to handle all this. For example, I had a xtz edge a2-300 power amp earlier and it had a auto sense than turned the unit on/off automatically. Also, I think it is a EU regulation that consumer electronics MUST go into standby after a period of inactivity. You cannot expect non-technical consumers to fiddle with triggers.

lalit09

I don't know. I thought the auto sense was supposed to handle all this. For example, I had a xtz edge a2-300 power amp earlier and it had a auto sense than turned the unit on/off automatically. Also, I think it is a EU regulation that consumer electronics MUST go into standby after a period of inactivity. You cannot expect non-technical consumers to fiddle with triggers.
Trigger is very easy just put mono 3.5mm marantz out to amp in.

lappy

I prefer trigger its fast and nO error.
Just checked the manual. The trigger in is just another method of waking the unit up. Auto sense wakes the unit up fine, my issue is putting it back to standby after a period of inactivity. Also, I am planning to use this amp with a minidsp processor as preamp and the minidsp does not have a 12v trigger....so I was really hoping for auto sense to handle this.

lalit09

Why u wan use mini dsp in between i dont see any major benefit of using it.

Top Bottom