• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

lalit09

Ok, nad c658 would be a great solution and match for 298.. so how is 298 performance after few hour.

lalit09

Will replace the marantz with minidsp. I want to clean up the system clutter and it has Dirac room correction.
After using dirac and audyssey both i will say you will not hear any huge improvement in dirac from audyssy.. marantz preamp section should benefit you more than minidsp. Or rather buy a preamp.. a dedicated preamp like freya+ or higher will significantly benefit you.

lappy

After using dirac and audyssey both i will say you will not hear any huge improvement in dirac from audyssy.. marantz preamp section should benefit you more than minidsp. Or rather buy a preamp.. a dedicated preamp like freya+ or higher will significantly benefit you.
Well that's funny, I just tried with the minidsp ddrc24 with a toslink connection from the tv. It just demolishes the marantz and the sound is the best I have heard in a long long time. And this is without Dirac.

lalit09

Well that's funny, I just tried with the minidsp ddrc24 with a toslink connection from the tv. It just demolishes the marantz and the sound is the best I have heard in a long long time. And this is without Dirac.
Which speakers?

lappy

I just noted that the power supplies in the M33 and the C298 are very similar, if not identical:
m33_c298.png

C298 top, M33 bottom.

lappy

One issue: my C298 will not return to standby after a period of inactivity. To be fair, the manual only describes that the auto sense can wake the unit up....not shut it down. It is however surprising, since it seems that the cheaper C268 seems to go into standby after 20 minutes of inactivity. It is also strange because I think auto standby is mandated by EU. I have reported this to the dealer who agreed that it does seem strange, and they are investigating with NAD.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One issue: my C298 will not return to standby after a period of inactivity. To be fair, the manual only describes that the auto sense can wake the unit up....not shut it down. It is however surprising, since it seems that the cheaper C268 seems to go into standby after 20 minutes of inactivity. It is also strange because I think auto standby is mandated by EU. I have reported this to the dealer who agreed that it does seem strange, and they are investigating with NAD.
Did you play with the autosense threshold switch on the back? I can't imagine it won't turn off since the NAD literature says autosense lets you hide the amplifier.

lappy

Did you play with the autosense threshold switch on the back? I can't imagine it won't turn off since the NAD literature says autosense lets you hide the amplifier.
Yes, tried all three settings. Note that the literature doesn't explicitly describe auto off, only auto on.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, tried all three settings. Note that the literature doesn't explicitly describe auto off, only auto on.
I would guess that the autosense function is broken on your amp. A search shows that some M10 owners have had the same problem.

emildev

I use the trigger - no issues - c658 powers on 1 sec later c298 power on - same in reverse - this was critical for me as im trying to do my green part - if you like can test auto sense on mine

lalit09

I use the trigger - no issues - c658 powers on 1 sec later c298 power on - same in reverse - this was critical for me as im trying to do my green part - if you like can test auto sense on mine
How is 298 pairing with 658 sound?

lappy

Yes please turn off c658 and see if the c298 is on 1-2 hours later

Last edited:

lappy

Got a disappointing reply from Nad regarding auto sense:
"
In this case, please note that the auto-sense feature will only wake the C298 power amplifier from standby and will not put it back into standby.

Therefore, I would advise using a trigger cable (3.5mm to 3.5mm, mono to mono). Connect one end of the cable to the "Trigger +12V IN" port of the C298, and the other end to the "Trigger +12V OUT" of your source device.

From here, whenever your source device goes into standby, then the C298 will also go into standby, and vice versa.

Hopefully this helps!
"
Very strange implementation of standby.

emildev

Yup tested same here - i think they can prob adress with firmware as the auto on alreay monitors so reverse should be possible - no issue for me as i use the trigger.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got a disappointing reply from Nad regarding auto sense:
"
In this case, please note that the auto-sense feature will only wake the C298 power amplifier from standby and will not put it back into standby.

Therefore, I would advise using a trigger cable (3.5mm to 3.5mm, mono to mono). Connect one end of the cable to the "Trigger +12V IN" port of the C298, and the other end to the "Trigger +12V OUT" of your source device.

From here, whenever your source device goes into standby, then the C298 will also go into standby, and vice versa.

Hopefully this helps!
"
Very strange implementation of standby.
Thanks for sharing this. It really is strange, and it seems to me NAD is out of line in their advertising where they say "Auto-sense with selectable threshold is perfect for automating complex systems or hiding the amp out of sight in a cabinet."

Auto-on doesn't seem to me to be much use without having auto standby. Anyway, I hope you are able to use the trigger or find another way around the issue if you bought this planning to use auto-standby.

lappy

Thanks for sharing this. It really is strange, and it seems to me NAD is out of line in their advertising where they say "Auto-sense with selectable threshold is perfect for automating complex systems or hiding the amp out of sight in a cabinet."

Auto-on doesn't seem to me to be much use without having auto standby. Anyway, I hope you are able to use the trigger or find another way around the issue if you bought this planning to use auto-standby.
I'm currently looking at this product, we'll see...
https://www.bobwireaudio.com/

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It is very strange, especially given the ever tightening energy saving requirements. I would have expected the opposite like the first Gen V22 which had auto off, but no auto on.

Top Bottom