• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

NYfan2

Forum Donor
I bought NAD C 298 a month ago and using it with RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Sound is crystal clear and powerful at once.
It doesn't have problems you're speaking about. Everything works fine, I suggest you to buy good banana connectors like FURUTECH FP-202(R) for full experience and Vovox XLR cables
Although the price of these Furutech banana connectors is OK (most prices of Furutech components are crazy high) and I dont have any experience with them so I cannot judge the quality/fit.
I can recommend these: https://www.parts-express.com/Stacking-Banana-Plug-with-Dual-Set-Screws-Poly-Carbonate-Sh-091-3608
These are locking banana's so the contact will be excellent and the price is less then half of the Furutech.

ihvar

Although the price of these Furutech banana connectors is OK (most prices of Furutech components are crazy high) and I dont have any experience with them so I cannot judge the quality/fit.
I can recommend these: https://www.parts-express.com/Stacking-Banana-Plug-with-Dual-Set-Screws-Poly-Carbonate-Sh-091-3608
These are locking banana's so the contact will be excellent and the price is less then half of the Furutech.
My first bananas were https://aliexpress.ru/item/63002475...033296&spm=a2g39.orderlist.0.0.2a3d4aa6rpp3rK
They are so good looking and have so good manufacturing quality, I used them for 4 years. I felt sceptic about using all marketing-raised-price connectors like Furutech etc.
But then I bought Heco Celan Revolution 3 and biwired with these bananas to NAD C 298 one-into-one. High-mid section banana was on the top into bass-section banana. Really I didn't like the sound of mids. So, I bought two sets of Furutech bananas for $140 and vocal returned to its place.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree-those are the ones @amirm recommended in another review. Highly recommend them.

tparm

Forum Donor
I've always used these with great success, from bluejeanscable.com.

Attachments

• locking banana.PNG
    locking banana.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 107

Mehdiem

Pardon my ignorance, but arent the NAD C298 speaker out already a banana connection? In that case, why do you use another banana on top of that?

tparm

Forum Donor
Pardon my ignorance, but arent the NAD C298 speaker out already a banana connection? In that case, why do you use another banana on top of that?
Technically the NAD connection are multi-way binding posts and the speaker cable connectors we are referring to are banana plugs (that are inserted into the binding posts). Same as on the speaker end. SOrry if that isn’t what you are asking….

Mehdiem

Technically the NAD connection are multi-way binding posts and the speaker cable connectors we are referring to are banana plugs (that are inserted into the binding posts). Same as on the speaker end. SOrry if that isn’t what you are asking….
Oh, I see. My speaker cables are already banana-plug on both sides, so I should be good right? I can insert them to NAD directly?

jmillar

Very welcomed addition with good features at a fairly affordable price, considering this is from a well established brand. Look, however, is... nothing to talk about, really.:confused:

Trying to understand why it is rated lower than the M33 (200W/8Ω, 400W/4Ω) using the same modules (assuming there's only one Purifi ET out there). Could be downpowered by the SMPS, or the ajsutable gain too low at maximum? I don't know.
They "must" be quoted as less performing than their halo flagships (M33) much more expensive and full of bells and whistles. That happens quite frequently in the audio industry and others.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is one damn fine amplifier. Buy it or don't, but there are very few components available that can audibly improve on its output.

Norway

I have now had the 2 C298 in house for over 3 weeks! At first I was a little disappointed as they have no “sound” in its own… I guess it’s the price of very low distortion! I use them with my Minidsp SHD active crossover on Altec VOTT A4 so the possibility of gain-control comes in very handy with the speakers 110 db + efficiency! They are also “dead quiet“.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have now had the 2 C298 in house for over 3 weeks! At first I was a little disappointed as they have no “sound” in its own… I guess it’s the price of very low distortion! I use them with my Minidsp SHD active crossover on Altec VOTT A4 so the possibility of gain-control comes in very handy with the speakers 110 db + efficiency! They are also “dead quiet“.

That's a good thing, that a lot of people failed to realize this way you can control your own destiny instead of buying for the sound(s) others said were good (for them, and most likely by chance that they happened to like, or just imagined:D).

pogo

Major Contributor
I was a little disappointed as they have no “sound” in its own… I guess it’s the price of very low distortion!
Here is an interesting video in german from a sound engineer, who explains which technical data are actually relevant and audible nowadays:
Link
You can also add a subtitle in your native language.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Can any of you provide an accurate measurement of the height (length) of these connectors excluding the inserted plug itself? I am currently using the BlueJeans?Benchmark bananas but they are too long for the the back door that covers my connection panel to close.

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Can any of you provide an accurate measurement of the height (length) of these connectors excluding the inserted plug itself? I am currently using the BlueJeans?Benchmark bananas but they are too long for the the back door that covers my connection panel to close.
Ofcourse, I can do that this evening, I'm currently at my job.

mSpot

Getting more clearance is not just about the length of the connector body, because the cable itself (especially a thick or stiff one) also requires space. The bananas @NYfan2 suggested connect the cable at 45 degrees, saving space, and right angle connectors can be used for even tighter spaces.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Getting more clearance is not just about the length of the connector body, because the cable itself (especially a thick or stiff one) also requires space. The bananas @NYfan2 suggested connect the cable at 45 degrees, saving space, and right angle connectors can be used for even tighter spaces.
Thanks but I am aware of the geometry. Do you know of any locking right angle connectors?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
WBT has exact measurements if you look for it in the German website. For example: https://www.wbt.de/fileadmin/media/data/0610_Ag_E_2009_01_09.pdf

But not quite right angle.
Thanks. Those are exact measurements but they do not include the one dimension that is critical to me. From other docs, these are too long. The 0645 is closer to my needs. http://www.wbtusa.com/pdf/0645.pdf

However, I am really interested in these "alternative" brands or, even better, a 90deg version!

Top Bottom