• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

Mehdiem

1. Dead silent. Warranty repair otherwise.

2. Auto shutoff is configurable. I use it. Having very sensitive speakers I wish the lowest setting let me play up to 6 dB quieter for the atypical use case of very quiet background listening.

3. Use INPUT SELECT switch to manage audio output level.
• FIX: Audio output level is fixed. The C 298 becomes like a basic
amplifier with audio output level controlled by an external device.
• VAR: Audio output level can be adjusted using the INPUT LEVEL
control knob.

Hey I got the C298. It sounds amazing. But I a cannot disable the auto-shut off. I follow the manual, and I got confirmation (2 blinks) that it was deactivated. But nevertheless, amp auto shuts off after 15 min if there is no signal. I don’t want it to shutoff

ehowarth

Hey I got the C298. It sounds amazing. But I a cannot disable the auto-shut off. I follow the manual, and I got confirmation (2 blinks) that it was deactivated. But nevertheless, amp auto shuts off after 15 min if there is no signal. I don’t want it to shutoff

I found the same issue on my v1.8 unit. I wonder if this is fixed in a later firmware version. I heard that firmware upgrades require a trip to the dealer.

Mehdiem

I found the same issue on my v1.8 unit. I wonder if this is fixed in a later firmware version. I heard that firmware upgrades require a trip to the dealer.
Isn’t v1.8 the latest firmware? I read in the same forum that people had issues with 1.07 but when they updated to 1.08 things got back to normal! Isn’t it the case? It’s weird, my unit is that latest production unit, just arrived, so I don’t understand why this is happening. I hope this is a firmware issue, otherwise, I’m thinking of returning it.

mSpot

Revel Ultima2 Studio speakers. They have a door that covers the rear panel with the multiway posts and controls. Unfortunately, it does not allow much clearance for the connections.
Sounds like you've tried pretty hard to find bananas that fit. Anybody else would have the same problem. I would say that it's a design flaw.

pogo

Major Contributor
Here are the first M23 measurements and sound impressions: Link

If it already sounds better than the C298, a comparison to a T+A A200 would also be very interesting. Can it beat it?
The German trade magazine STEREO has now also tested the M23, with similar sonic impressions.
Sound quality:
M23 = 93%, same as the T+A, great job from NAD
C298 = 80%

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The German trade magazine STEREO has now also tested the M23, with similar sonic impressions.
Sound quality:
M23 = 93%, same as the T+A, great job from NAD
C298 = 80%
And how is this "sound quality" measured by STEREO Magazine?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks so much. Unfortunately, it seems too long for me. Guess I really do need a 90deg device.
It’s a bit of a long shot, but I’d recommend contacting Blue Jeans Cables. They have a number of suppliers, fabricate custom cables and may be able to find something that works for you. They like a challenge every now and then.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It’s a bit of a long shot, but I’d recommend contacting Blue Jeans Cables. They have a number of suppliers, fabricate custom cables and may be able to find something that works for you. They like a challenge every now and then.
It's not the cables, it's the banana connectors. And, yes, I do use BJCs and those are the ones that do not fit.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, it seems too long for me. Guess I really do need a 90deg device.

Or the WBT ones, which seem to be at least 5mm shorter. Or forego bananas altogether, terminate the cables with WBT crimp sleeves and insert them into the binding posts directly (assuming the binding posts have large enough holes).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not the cables, it's the banana connectors. And, yes, I do use BJCs and those are the ones that do not fit.
I was suggesting that BJC could create something specialized and custom for your application instead of using their regular bananas.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I was suggesting that BJC could create something specialized and custom for your application instead of using their regular bananas.
I imagine that would be more costly than I would want. I do miss having a machinist.....................................

pogo

Major Contributor
And how is this "sound quality" measured by STEREO Magazine?
On the german NAD web page you can read an excerpt of it:
Link

The measurements are printed in the magazine or can be found here later:
Link

mSpot

The bottom line is that you should expect the Revel Ultima2 to accommodate standard banana connectors and you shouldn't have to deal with this. If they even tried bananas while designing the speaker, the issue would have been noticed immediately. Do they only design with spade connectors in mind at Revel? A simple solution is to provide a panel door that bulges out more, but they chose form over function.

As an audio reviewer, I think you should take them to task about this issue on an expensive speaker. Ask them directly to suggest a banana connector, then show them it doesn't fit :rolleyes:.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the german NAD web page you can read an excerpt of it:
Link

The measurements are printed in the magazine or can be found here later:
Link
I don't really see anything that defines how these "percent" rankings are calculated. If you have that information, please let us know.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't really see anything that defines how these "percent" rankings are calculated. If you have that information, please let us know.
It is a subjective evaluation rank, no measurements in it.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It is a scientific process involving pliers and a rectum.

Top Bottom