• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Kingdom For A Remote Volume Knob! can this be made?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I sent you a PM several months ago asking for the company's website. They had taken it down back then "new site coming soon", and it is still down now. I don't know why companies can't leave their old websites up and running while they work on a new one, it seems silly to lose business over a website that takes months to update. I can't imagine how much money it is going to cost them for not just simply putting up their old website as an interim measure.
Usually because they failed to plan and it has become irretrievable for some reason. Some just don't know any better, but a surprising number just don't want to know when given basic continuity advice. That works great for them right up until the moment it doesn't. Then there's putting off migration from something that's no longer supported until it actually drops dead. I could go on...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not know the existence of this > @MattHooper vs. RemoteControl < thread until a few days ago.:(

I only post this product because I detest mice and love trackball-type, stationary pointing devices.
I guess this wireless PC pointing device would NOT have been applicable for your needs.
202310_3DConnexion.jpg

It has been around for a few decades, as a reliable desktop add-on.
Link

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No knob, but I bought this learning remote last year. It's a solid piece of Aluminium and is far better than the Topping remote that it has replaced.

I can imagine that remote is better in feel and design than any number of cheapie remotes that manufacturers supply. Plastic remotes suck, so even the upgrade
to metal can be nice. (My CJ preamp remote is a pretty nice feeling metal shell).

However, and this is just me, that's exactly the type of remote I was running away from: lots of teeny, non-descript buttons.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not know the existence of this > @MattHooper vs. RemoteControl < thread until a few days ago.:(

I only post this product because I detest mice and love trackball-type, stationary pointing devices.

As it happens, I detest (that's not a strong enough word!) trackballs, and love mice. (The original wired apple mighty mouse being by far my favourite).

I guess this wireless PC pointing device would NOT have been applicable for your needs.
View attachment 317568
It has been around for a few decades, as a reliable desktop add-on.
Link

Thanks for posting this. When I went looking for a volume knob remote there were plenty of options for controlling PCs. None were IR learning/operating remotes which is why I ended up going custom.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how many here use universal remote controls? Or perhaps iphone/ipad based universal remote controls?

I have an elaborate home theater set up and my goal for a universal remote was actually pretty similar to the one I had for my 2 channel system: Avoid having to use my phone or ipad, but also looking for highest quality feel and ergonomics. The best I could do was go with the RTI remote system, which combined an LCD screen and a well designed button lay out, with a generally higher quality hand-feel than most remotes I tried. Currently I'm using this older version:

https://www.rticontrol.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/6d47e1a4b985c7aa97985946db8622c8/t/2/t2c_controller_face_300_trans.jpg

But I still don't need all those buttons and I'd like to move up to this newer version:

https://www.rticontrol.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/6d47e1a4b985c7aa97985946db8622c8/t/4/t4x_front_1.jpg

They are damned expensive though!

My decision to go with RTI worked out really well in most regards. I had some very complex programming that needed to work seamlessly, and this system did it all, and was a workhorse in terms of reliability over the past 13 years. The negative is that this system requires an RTI dealer or technician to program, so if you add anything or want to change anything, you have to pay someone to do it.

Blahzot

However, and this is just me, that's exactly the type of remote I was running away from: lots of teeny, non-descript buttons.
I totally agree with you, the remote you ended up with looks gorgeous. Hopefully, they will become more common.

But for any Topping owner who doesn't like their awful, short ranged generic remote, that Aliexpress remote is an easily programmable replacement.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how many here use universal remote controls?
You seem to have found comfort that you were seeking... but at what cost?

Learning remotes:mad:, Universal remotes:mad:, I got all sorts of remote controllers:mad: coming out of every drawer in most rooms in the house and bunch of retired wired/wireless ones:mad:, in the garage. Adding to that assortment of remotes:mad:, we also have remote operated, multi-color LED lightbulbs inside/outside (all w/different IR codes). Oh yeah, then there are those celing fans/lights that ONLY operate using RF remotes:mad: which lay waste to their 12V batteries, every few months.
e-gadz!
No wonder Logitech discontinued their "Harmony" line of remotes:mad:, you can't have peace and harmony with remotes:mad:.
I have two of those Logitech remotes as my contribution to the WAF happiness, so that she does not fritz-out w/multiple/different remotes.
Remotes:mad: and especially programming them have become the proverbial 'tailS that wag the dogS" in the pet-adoption centers!

I finally realized I was getting so OCD with those things, and they were consuming so much of my time that I used a labeler for tagging 10+ of the most used remotes:mad:.
I have given up attempting to consolidate those f*ckers:mad:. I don't care any more and I will go as far as replacing their batteries but nothing more!:mad:
------------------------------------------
OT:
#1: Button batteries are said to be ingested by more than 3500 US children per year in the US.
202310_ButtonCellBatteries.jpg
yum...
#2: Some sources[?] estimate that nearly 1.4BILLION button-cells are [indiscrimately] disposed of, each year in the US alone.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Last edited:

speeding_ant

I've just finished with a macOS app to use a Microsoft Dial to control HomeKit devices. My MiniDSP Flex is exposed to HomeKit via HomeBridge as a dimmable light with my own integration (with min and max volume for protection), and it works pretty darn well.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 6.36.20 PM.png

Davide

In your opinion, is there a way to create a wireless knob to send a MIDI command to the DAW and adjust the volume on a plugin with it?
On ETSY I saw individual knobs with MIDI but they are wired with USB...

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The USB ones will appear to the computer as a USB MIDI interface. There are examples of doing that with a Pico too.

mglobe

Forum Donor
I've just finished with a macOS app to use a Microsoft Dial to control HomeKit devices. My MiniDSP Flex is exposed to HomeKit via HomeBridge as a dimmable light with my own integration (with min and max volume for protection), and it works pretty darn well.

View attachment 324383
Very interesting. Possibly a dumb question, but how does the Flex talk with Homebridge? Via a WI-DG? If so does that force the use of Toslink or SPDIF for digital input?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's funny.
For a few years, we've had an LG TV with its wand thingy (Magic Remote). It has a button on it for voice-control (a MIC symbol) and it is referred to as 'Intelligent Voice Recognition'.:oops:
202311_LGMagicRemote.jpg

I have never even tried it once and there is no instrument that exists which can measure my indifference to it!:confused:

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sim Audio Preamplifiers have had one of the best volume knobs I've used - great chunky size, silky smooth motion, really satisfying.

Now they've come out with a remote control using that same volume knob, with some touch screen control as well. Basically exactly what I'd been looking for at the beginning of this thread.

Except, of course, it's proprietary to controlling their preamps and DACs. It works via blue-tooth. For anyone curious, here it is, and a video interview on the new remote:

Top Bottom