• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Kingdom For A Remote Volume Knob! can this be made?

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Putting price aside: Anyone else think that would be a wonderful remote to have for your system...if for instance it could be programmed to run your system?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Putting price aside: Anyone else think that would be a wonderful remote to have for your system...if for instance it could be programmed to run your system?
It looks good. Personally I think there is a limit to how much you should want this style of remote to do, but that might be because I use roon, which mandates a phone or bigger to control. If this sort of remote can replace the front panel controls on a traditional proper preamp I think it's doing enough, and it should focus on doing that really well. They look too have that covered.

MCH

Major Contributor
As generic smart rotary knobs with circular displays become available, I would expect to see them more often in audio products.
I have in the back of my head DIY one with this below. My problem is lack of programming skills to make it fast response.

What i am not sure is if the trade off having a display and having to charge every week instead of changing the battery every year is worth it. I changed the first battery of my no display knob recently for the first time after ca. 10 months of use.

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Since I participated in this thread months ago, I have reconfigured an old tablet I had lying around to be a remote control. The big advantage of doing this is the keyboard. With my Samsung tablet, I can search for music on streaming services. If I had an old school remote like the above, I wouldn't be able to do any of that.

The disadvantage of the tablet is the ergonomics. I would prefer tactile buttons. I would love a volume knob. Having to unlock the tablet to change the volume is a pain.

Sadly there is nothing on the market that comes close to what I want it to do, so I will continue to use the tablet.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Are you willing to ask them if they privide the BT GATT profile plus description how to use it?
If yes I will adapt this to rooExtend on my return from abroad in May.

Short38

Great opportunity for aftermarket tweaking: rare wood dial inserts, various brushed metal inserts etc.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I participated in this thread months ago, I have reconfigured an old tablet I had lying around to be a remote control. The big advantage of doing this is the keyboard. With my Samsung tablet, I can search for music on streaming services. If I had an old school remote like the above, I wouldn't be able to do any of that.

The disadvantage of the tablet is the ergonomics. I would prefer tactile buttons. I would love a volume knob. Having to unlock the tablet to change the volume is a pain.

Sadly there is nothing on the market that comes close to what I want it to do, so I will continue to use the tablet.

I can certainly see some advantages to having a keyboard handy for searching.

On the other hand, as I detailed my preferences in this thread, I am looking to get away from "computer stuff" while listening to music.

I know some audiophiles who stream from their servers (and Tidal et) and they use their laptop as the interface. I absolutely loathe using a laptop generally, and in particular as a "remote" for a music system.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These remote/control trials and tribulations - that all of us have gone thru and putting up with - is like the proverbial cart-before-the-horse dealio.
When Apple/ iPhone was forced to provide a USB-C connecterization by the EU;
I held hope for a forced-solution from EU for all R/Cs. Until I realized that there are too many different interface standards for all sorts of remotes that cannot be 'unified'! RF/IR/BT/WiFi/Zigby/etc/etc/etc.
This problem of ours (with R/Cs) will never have a single satisfactory solution.:mad:

Punchrulle

nice find. Similar to the Microsoft dial. I have been updating my Microsoft Dial to control the volume and mute of the DMP-A6

The Microsoft dial has better looks and is more flexible then the Razer dial and for not much more.
I am allso looking for a volume dial/knob option to use with APO EQ. Microsoft surface dial is on top of my list now

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi out there.
@mglobe asked me in a private chat to support device volume control from Roon for MiniDsp devices. It seems that I will be able to offer that as I already did for RME ADI-2.

I like to find out if you guys might be interested in this or if you think it makes no sense at all. If I make it Volume and Input Select for nearly all MiniDsp devices can be controlled from Roon. For sure this will work work with my Surface Dial, Nuimo and SpaceMouse Roon Extensions too.

Please let me know.
Best DrCWO

mglobe

Forum Donor
Hi out there.
@mglobe asked me in a private chat to support device volume control from Roon for MiniDsp devices. It seems that I will be able to offer that as I already did for RME ADI-2.

I like to find out if you guys might be interested in this or if you think it makes no sense at all. If I make it Volume and Input Select for nearly all MiniDsp devices can be controlled from Roon. For sure this will work work with my Surface Dial, Nuimo and SpaceMouse Roon Extensions too.

Please let me know.
Best DrCWO
Having this and having “control volume at playback only” set to no should allow the surface dial to control volume when using any source plugged into the DSP. I listen via Roon, vinyl, and CDs. It’s the solution I’ve been searching for, and the RooADI extension made me realize it might be possible.

D

Deleted member 48726

Hi out there.

Please let me know.
Best DrCWO
Is it possible to control the volume of a Chromecast Audio with that?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I thought this looked neat:

1707074183678.png

However, it's a bit spendy and I'm not sure I would actually take the time to re-learn how I interact with the software I use to make full use of it.

More reasonable?:

1707074920893.png

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Having this and having “control volume at playback only” set to no should allow the surface dial to control volume when using any source plugged into the DSP. I listen via Roon, vinyl, and CDs. It’s the solution I’ve been searching for, and the RooADI extension made me realize it might be possible.
You are right :)
Exactly this will be possible. So you will be able to control volume of MiniDSP even if you are not listening to the Source from Roon but for example audio coming from S/PDIF

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I thought this looked neat:

View attachment 347327

However, it's a bit spendy and I'm not sure I would actually take the time to re-learn how I interact with the software I use to make full use of it.

More reasonable?:

View attachment 347332

It's not a great remote control if it has a cable running to it :) It was designed as a keyboard accessory with programmable macros. Great if you use Photoshop, Blender, CAD programs, etc. Not so useful if you want to control your system from your sofa.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
It's not a great remote control if it has a cable running to it :) It was designed as a keyboard accessory with programmable macros. Great if you use Photoshop, Blender, CAD programs, etc. Not so useful if you want to control your system from your sofa.
My system is on my desk. :)

I bought one of the Megaladon controllers to try out. If I find it useful and saves time in some regular tasks, I might try one of the dearer ones.

Top Bottom