• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best way to get subwoofer volume control and remote w/ a V3?

djb

Hello, 1st post. I'm looking to upgrade my T9. I'd like to try a Fosi V3 but hung up on how to incorporate a remote and subwoofer volume control. If paired with a Topping E 50, would the V3 aux out of the match the speaker output?

Other pairings I am considering are:
1) smsl ao300
2) smsl a200 + su1 or modi dac
3) Yamaha 301 (much bigger footprint)
4) T9 Pro

Sources will be a Wiim mini and Blu-ray player. Thanks in advance.

NoMoFoNo

The V3 aux/pre out is always on, always line level, so without a preamp with subwoofer out and remote control there is no reasonable way to use it to feed a subwoofer.

In your particular use case, and if you can get away with less power, the SMSL AO200 + DAC might be a great bet. The AO200 has remote, sub out and an internal DAC that is pretty crappy. I owned one and it was a nice unit but I remember it not having a lot of power.

The Yamaha is a tried and true class ab integrated amp, a smashing value, but as you noted they are big.

I don't know much about the T9 Pro nor AO300 so can't offer opinions on them.

OP
D

djb

So the preamp has to have the sub out? I thought just using a preamp for volume control would allow the V3 speakers and aux out with subwoofer to remain level matched through volume adjustments. Thanks for clarifying.

I can use speaker level inputs on my subwoofer, but it would be kind of cluttered with wires in my office.

NoMoFoNo

I could be wrong but the aux out is not connected to the volume control. Now, if you set the V3 volume at max and use the volume on your sub to blend, but then have a preamp in front of the V3, that may do it.

OP
D

djb

That’s exactly what I was hoping would work. Max the volume on the V3 and use sub gain to match, and then control volume on with the E50 as a preamp and have the benefit of a remote. IF, the sub and speaker levels remain matched.

NoMoFoNo

Yeah, give it a try. I own the V3 and am very happy with it. It's changed my thinking about the need to spend serious $$ for good amplification.

OP
D

djb

Hopefully someone will chime in that has done this, if not, Amazon has a good return policy.

Top Bottom