• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Separate volume control for speakers and sub?

levanni

Hi,

I'm going to get some powered bookshelf speakers with subwoofer but I'd like to control the volume separately for the speakers and sub. Is there some pre-amplifier with this option? or passive volume knob controller with two knobs each for speakers and sub separately?

Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
Which powered bookshelf speakers are you going to buy? And which sub?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Just about anything with a crossover and subwoofer output will have a separate control for the sub, but it's usually "relative" so the main volume controls everything together and you don't have to adjust them both every time you change the volume.

You can adjust the subwoofer level with most (all?) AVR's but of course the main volume control affects all of the outputs/speakers together.

Most active subs have a level control but it's effectively in series with your regular volume control, so again, the main volume control affects everything. And it may not be convenient (usually on the back).

Active crossovers always have separate controls.

You could get a pair of these.

OP
L

levanni

Just about anything with a crossover and subwoofer output will have a separate control for the sub, but it's usually "relative" so the main volume controls everything together and you don't have to adjust them both every time you change the volume.

You can adjust the subwoofer level with most (all?) AVR's but of course the main volume control affects all of the outputs/speakers together.

Most active subs have a level control but it's effectively in series with your regular volume control, so again, the main volume control affects everything. And it may not be convenient (usually on the back).

Active crossovers always have separate controls.

You could get a pair of these.

Right, all "serious" speakers, I'm not talking about "computer speakers" as they categorize them, have the volume knob on the speaker/sub itself. No remote control by wire, I don't want to use their silly IR remote, have no idea who needs IR remote for bookshelf/studio speakers?

Thanks for the link, yes I've seen this kind of knobs, seems like I will have to get at least two of them, I haven't seen anything like that but with multiple volume knobs on it. Interesting if any sort of amplifier/preamplifier has it either by separate volume knob for sub or by changing it in the menu.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why do you want separate volume control of the sub? Generally speaking, you want to leave it at a fixed level, relative to the mains, as DVDdoug said above. I thought I wanted what you are asking for (the ability to dial the bass on demand) and used the device at the link below before returning it. What ended up solving my desire to be able to have less/more bass on demand was to get a miniDSP Flex and use the 4 config presets: (1) primary calibration, (2) same as 1 with some bass cut, (3) same a 1 with bass bump, (4) subs disabled. I can switch them back and forth instantly. The problem I had with separate volume controls was never being able to get back to (1) accurately, which is to say a correctly balanced calibration.

Volume control: https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Fully-Balanced-Single-Ended-Pre-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B01MXC9HHW

OP
L

levanni

Why do you want separate volume control of the sub? Generally speaking, you want to leave it at a fixed level, relative to the mains, as DVDdoug said above. I thought I wanted what you are asking for (the ability to dial the bass on demand) and used the device at the link below before returning it. What ended up solving my desire to be able to have less/more bass on demand was to get a miniDSP Flex and use the 4 config presets: (1) primary calibration, (2) same as 1 with some bass cut, (3) same a 1 with bass bump, (4) subs disabled. I can switch them back and forth instantly. The problem I had with separate volume controls was never being able to get back to (1) accurately, which is to say a correctly balanced calibration.

Volume control: https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Fully-Balanced-Single-Ended-Pre-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B01MXC9HHW

I should have said this at the beginning. My future xDuoo XD05 Bal 2 has an AUX out which I want to use as a pre out to powered speakers, but because I mostly will use my IEMs for listening, my IEMs will go to its headphone out port and the speakers will be muted, but I'd like to have sub while listening to IEMs with ability to control how much power it should produce. If I go with a regular method I'll end up having main speakers also active.

OP
L

levanni

Relax, why do you think Jason Stoddard at Schiit Audio decided not to mute IEM output when you switch headphones to pre-outs on Jotunheim 2? :) It's fun.

Shadrach

Some powered speakers have sensitivity adjustment and this may prove to be sufficient.

Elitzur–Vaidman

I sometimes listen to my HD6XX with my SVS micro filling in the bass. It's actually a really enjoyable setup since bass isn't exclusively perceived through the ears.
Just to expand on this slightly, my headphones and subwoofer volume is controlled by my DAC first and then I further adjust the subwoofer volume using the SVS app.

Top Bottom