• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There seem to be plenty of threads on favorite music: best female/male vocalists, best songs by era, discovered artists, well recorded, favorite this or that... but I've seen no threads on music you hate, or dislike if hate is too strong a word. Something you will turn off if it starts playing or you will not listen to.

I had a friend in the late 1970's and early 1980's that absolutely hated Jethro Tull. I don't know what it was about Tull he did not like but he would react violently if someone played Tull. We all knew it. We had another friend that tried to provoke him one day by playing Aqualung when we were partying together. This Jethro Tull hating friend jumped up, grabbed the record off the turntable, and pitched it across the room. It was hilarious.

So you're reaction does not have to be that severe but is there any music you do not like?

I'll go first...

1. Bob Dylan: I absolutely hate Bob Dylan's voice. It is physically repulsive to me. In my opinion he simply cannot sing. He should have stuck to the songwriter part of singer songwriter. He writes beautiful songs but ruins them by singing them.

2. Creedance Clearwater Revival/John Fogerty: John Fogert's voice grates on me. I cannot stand the nasally, whiny quality of his singing. A definite no for me. CCR put out some good songs but I simply cannot listen to them.

3. Conway Twitty/Merle Haggard: I have a very good friend that loves these old twangy country crooners. I cannot stand them. They don't grate on me like Dylan or Fogerty but they'll put me to sleep within minutes.

4. Metal with growling lyrics: I cannot stand growlers. Grrr - makes me cringe. Hate it all.

I know opinions are like a--holes, we all have them and they all stink except our own. These are my opinions. Care to share yours?

Which artists do you dislike?

Martin
I detest pretty much anything you'd hear in a shopping mall. Top 40 pop, top 40 country, top 40 "R&B" (all rhythm, no blues). All of it utterly soulless...

spigot

Classical composers (all of them) - Have a few decent ideas that they wring the life out of with endless noodling. If you condensed all of Beethoven, Mozart etc decent melodies down to 3 minute songs their entire worthwhile output wouldn't fill an LP, they'd be fired from the Brill Building.

Frank Zappa - confused technique and complexity with creativity, probably because writing a unique melody that comprises a handful of notes is as hard as it gets and he couldn't do it.

Scrappy

Had a return of traumatic memories from Andrew Lloyd Webber music.
Don't get how Phantom of the Opera or Cats could be as popular as they are.

Ah, so much music to strongly dislike. I think I'm going to burn my hifi system to the ground.
I played trumpet from age 10 to 22 (got that Bachelor of music..) Played in as many community bands as I could in high school, so rehearsals after school 2-3 nights a week. I have a strong Pavlovian association of drowsiness and Fidler on the Roof medleys, to the point I nodded off at a concert! Ha. Was never fond of that one, liked the marches and polkas. Ragtime really kept your attention, ha!

Scrappy

Having briefly suffered through Spotify's "Weekly Top Global", I'd say: Shakira, Yandel, Rema, The Weeknd, Manuel Turizo, d4vd, Eladio Carrion/Bad Bunny, Bizzarap/Quevedo, Tom Odell ...
I am amazed at the size and quantity of PA rigs I help send for Kpop and Latin acts- in North America! Sure lots of Latin goes to PR/ Mexico, but Bad Bunny was the absolute biggest tour last year I’ve heard.

Scrappy

Avicii .

Not so gringe worthy super bad just almost completely forgettable elevator music :) but it irritates a bit more than normal elevator music .

But in our home country he is seen as some kind of national treasure and they named a whole sports arena after the guy , they could just have picked some random guy of the street , it’s simply nothing special at all with the music.

Have nothing against him while he lived , but the hype is completely puzzling to me ?
I went to get something from the data services guys at work, and heard what the one guy was listening to. “Aphex Twin, nice!” I said. He said nah, Avicii. God rest him, but that’s DJ’ing…

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Levenslied example.. (typical Dutch folk music) A prime example is 'Andre Hazes' but there are much worse.
when you thought his music is the scariest part lol..
[transl: "little boys"]
hazes-kleine-jungen1.jpg
hazes-kleine-jungen2.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The small boy is his son. Also called Andre and also a very popular 'Dutch Folk song singer'. His daughter is also into this type of music.

translation is 'little boy'

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
every few years a neat new scene would come out of some internet subculture, and then it starts leaking into the mainstream, someone sands the edges off and makes commercially successful music with it, and the original contributors to the subculture end up forgotten and broke.
That's pretty much how music has always worked, unfortunately. The initial artists aren't accessible by the masses, so it all gets dumbed down.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Classical composers (all of them) - Have a few decent ideas that they wring the life out of with endless noodling. If you condensed all of Beethoven, Mozart etc decent melodies down to 3 minute songs their entire worthwhile output wouldn't fill an LP, they'd be fired from the Brill Building.

Ha!! :D Amusing. For my part I pretty much dislike everything but Classical music.

taner

The Beatles

I'm following the music scene since early 80's but still couldn't figure out what makes this band so influential or something special. They're just a mediocre boy band in every aspect. I've never deliberately played a Beatles song for my liking.. except Michael Jackson version of "Come Together" which is 100x better that the original.

Others:
Oasis
Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On
Gorillaz
Crazy Frog
Guns'n Roses
most Elton John stuff (except I'm Still Standing)

Last edited:

concorde1

A few groups I personally cannot stand:

The Beatles - except I quite like the song "Yesterday" - but mostly their music I find very basic and boring - irritating - unnatural
Radiohead - dull, dreary, uninspiring noise
Coldplay - ditto
and <99% of post-90's music apart from live performances from creatives>

Last edited:

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Beatles

I'm following the music scene since early 80's but still couldn't figure out what makes this band so influential or something special. They're just a mediocre boy band in every aspect. I've never deliberately played a Beatles song for my liking.. except Michael Jackson version of "Come Together" which is 100x better that the original.

Others:
Oasis
Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On
Gorillaz
Crazy Frog
Guns'n Roses
most Elton John stuff (except I'm Still Standing)
Too many people here don’t know a damn thing about the history of rock and roll. Too young perhaps. But if you don’t want to sound like an ignoramus at least study the history like it’s anthropology. I don’t listen to the Beatles anymore but they are historically important.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
With so much detestable music out there, is it any wonder that speakers are slowly getting replaced with oscilloscopes or audio analysers?
;)

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I'm not a big fan of a lot of firecrackers, beating on drums, and scaring off the bad mojo for a night. Dixieland jazz is not one of my favorites either.
Some of the old entertainers like Louis Armstrong were ok, BUT if I had my rathers. LOL

D

Deleted member 58722

Hate is very emotive...... but most 'indie-rock'is shite, as is a lot of 'singer-songwriter' introverted soul searching shite, it's just tedious.
I don't have the time, nor the inclination to list every single artist or song that I truly dislike!

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My most hated song of all times:
Eiffel 65 - Blue

taner

Too many people here don’t know a damn thing about the history of rock and roll. Too young perhaps. But if you don’t want to sound like an ignoramus at least study the history like it’s anthropology. I don’t listen to the Beatles anymore but they are historically important.
Their historically "importance" relies on popularity by youth crowd as an investment by the industry rather than an artistic merit. Their historically "importance" doesn't help about their bad music... which is the subject of this thread.

Top Bottom