• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting responses in this thread. A lot I agree with (The Grateful Dead, most rap and hip-hop, James Taylor, Bad Bunny), and a lot I do not (ABBA, Journey, The Eagles, prog rock, The Beatles).

Some music I grew to like - Rush is one example - I had a friend in high school who loved Rush, I couldn't stand Geddy Lee's vocals. I still am not a huge fan of his singing but Rush has put out some amazing music. Likewise The Beatles - it's love / hate - some of their music I can take, some I can leave. ABBA is another - I learned to just like the fun they seem to embody - Mamma Mia! (the musical) was great; that said, I don't think I'd ever sit down and listen to ABBA.

I've never been a fan of The Rolling Stones - they put out some good music but I always felt they were a sellout and made whatever music deemed popular at the time - they seemed to follow the trends and not set them.

I guess that is part of this... When you sit down to listen to music what do you put on? What do you not listen to? What would you get up and walk away from?

Continue to keep it light - this is supposed to be a fun thread - nothing here is serious. I like how @sam_adams put it:
The proper reply to that would be with "The Dude" meme:

View attachment 275714
Yoink away.

Martin

Last edited:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To those who dislike growls in Death Metal: Being a metal listener myself i did not like growling for a long time, too, but got used to it at some point. One of the best "entry" songs highlighting what is "good" about growling is this one, i think:

There is also a version with non-growled vocals for comparison. It is pretty good, too :)

Leporello

"Symphonic Metal" as a genre always makes me giggle. It is so corny there's actually no point in hating it.

Achim1812

FFM is very often my reason for giggling, nothing to hate. I know Doro for a long time, because she was a neighbor when I was young (she still is younger). But even her music is not mine. If I want angels, wolves, dwarfs, giants, elves, knights and dragons I grab a book.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Re Beatles imho in the early years they did a lot of covers and was basically a live pub band , but they grew into it and released some interesting stuff like the white album sg pepper and some more . I think some of their stuff is excellent for it’s time now it may feel a bit dated . But I agree that no one needed another’s version of twist and shout , perfectly fine to play covers at a small venue but on a record ? Then it must be exceptionall.

I know that for example led zeppelins debut album is also filled with covers and traditionals , but they make their versions something special .

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Their historically "importance" relies on popularity by youth crowd as an investment by the industry rather than an artistic merit. Their historically "importance" doesn't help about their bad music... which is the subject of this thread.
I would argue that they can’t be judged as bad or even good. Especially by someone who doesn’t understand or care about music history. It simply is… Beatles music. It is something of its time. It cannot be judged from today’s perspective. Almost an historical artifact at this point. But I don’t listen to it anymore as it doesn’t seem relevant and there is so much good to listen to and so little time.

Last edited:

Phayes

Agree with most of the above, but must add Neil Diamond and the Smiths. I am left wonder what I have my system for!

Barrelhouse Solly

New Age in any form. Jazz/Rock fusion, Smooth Jazz, post-WWII pop music pre-Elvis, singers who make every song about their voice rather than the lyrics, Post '60s country music, lite rock, blues rock, late romantic classical, and many more.

I'm a firm believer in Sturgeon's Law, "90% of everything is crap."

Dismayed

Doobie Brothers
Nickelback
Taylor Swift - though she seems to be a decent person
Captain and Tenniel
Jimmy Buffet

AlexanderM

P.S. I'm actually a little bit surprised the Grateful Dead haven't received any votes here!
I can't stand the Grateful Dead!! There you go. I am pleased that no one said YES, as I am a fan. I haven't run in to that many YES fans over the years.

Last edited:

mirlo

anything performed by André Rieu, there is nothing phonier than this guy's performances

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Anything that uses auto tune on vocalists.

(Is that pretty much all modern popular music of the last 25 years !)

Yes!! I agree!! And I would add - any artificial reverb and any U-shaped EQ curve. Think of almost any Cantopop recordings from the 80's and 90's, it has what I call "Karaoke Machine Sound", in that it sounds as if the singer is singing into a Karaoke machine.

I also hate the modern "pop factory" - singers who can't sing are autotuned, songs are written and produced for them (often the same composer is used for multiple pop groups which is why they all sound the same). About the only attributes the singers bring to the table are good looks and ability to dance. Take all of Korean pop for example. Unfortunately my wife loves K-pop ...

Top Bottom