• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)

Jefrpol

Most black metal: let's make some great music sound completely unlistenable... on purpose. Why?!

Oasis.
There are degrees to how poor it is supposed to sound. It is a weird aesthetic to have in which you want your new music to sound as poor as the recording from your youth. That said, i like a lot of it and I avoid the albums that sound like "Nattens Madrigal."

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Metalcore covers a wide range. I like quite a few of the metalcore/math type bands from back in the day: Dillinger Escape Plan, Drowningman, Botch, Shai Hulud, Converge, Cave In, Bloodlet and Candiria for example. I don't care for the hardcore bands that feel like water-downed death metal like Shadows Fall, All That Remains and anything else inspired by At The Gates. Entombed inspired hardcore, like Black Breath, however, I can get behind.

Ok. Dillinger are living national treasures really. Hadn't heard Drowningman or Black Breath, turns out both are fun, thanks.

Btw I read that as 'water-drowned' death metal which was evocative. But I also dislike death metal lite, and death metal regular really. That's why we have sub- and micro-genre tags I guess. I'm pretty superficial though, I'll avoid a band if the cover features meaty/sweaty/hairy blokes and goat skulls, so I've never listened to Suicide Silence. I can be wrong, turned out Job for a Cowboy's debut EP wasn't so bad, even though they didn't really sustain my interest.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Billy Joelcore?

Haha, hard to fathom. :oops:

Don't forget sadcore, which fractured the vapid hegemony of the autotune divas (forgive the rhetorical flourish) and gave us some pop that's listenable.

Of course there's glitchcore/digicore which is a broad church but houses some horrors and some gems.

Last edited:

Jefrpol

Ok. Dillinger are living national treasures really. Hadn't heard Drowningman or Black Breath, turns out both are fun, thanks.
You're welcome.

Btw I read that as 'water-drowned' death metal which was evocative. But I also dislike death metal lite, and death metal regular really. That's why we have sub- and micro-genre tags I guess. I'm pretty superficial though, I'll avoid a band if the cover features meaty/sweaty/hairy blokes and goat skulls, so I've never listened to Suicide Silence. I can be wrong, turned out Job for a Cowboy's debut EP wasn't so bad.
I've always been a huge fan of death metal. It started as heavier thrash and has really twisted and changed over the years. There is a lot of variety within an admittedly limited genre.

As for Deathcore, it has the worst covers. I've never seen a genre that makes it so easy for me to avoid it.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I've always been a huge fan of death metal. It started as heavier thrash and has really twisted and changed over the years. There is a lot of variety within an admittedly limited genre.

I'd better check I'm not making a category mistake: some examples of the good stuff?

As for Deathcore, it has the worst covers. I've never seen a genre that makes it so easy for me to avoid it.

Haha for sure. But here's my favourite deathcore cover:

This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For.jpg

*some would argue it's metalcore though

Last edited:

Jefrpol

I'd better check I'm not making a category mistake: some examples of the good stuff?
Everything is subjective but new:
or

Classic:
or

Death metal runs the gamut from fast to slow, basic to technical. It has a lot to offer if my opinion.

*some would argue it's metalcore though
If the band has a dumb name of multiple words (I Wrestled A Bear Once, for example) it's deathcore.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe I'm in the minority here but, while this was amusing for a while, the negativity really isn't what ASR means to me.

So in the spirit of amusement I'm going to offer a slight twist - bands I love that most people might find issue with.

Jimmy Buffett (over 25 shows under my belt)

Eric Clapton

James Taylor

Jack Johnson

OAR

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Oh, and P.S. I grew up in the '80s, so I have a really high tolerance for INXS, Van Hagar, and the like.

Bring it on M-Fers.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Everything is subjective but new:
or

Classic:
or

Death metal runs the gamut from fast to slow, basic to technical. It has a lot to offer if my opinion.

Thanks for indulging me !! I've made a category mistake in part at least. The first three were very cool. The last one not so much for me. I guess leaning fast/technical does it for me, while Obituary struck me as a bit slow/basic.

If the band has a dumb name of multiple words (I Wrestled A Bear Once, for example) it's deathcore.

Haha, I guess Bring Me The Horizon qualifies? That was the cover of This is What the Edge of Your Seat Was Made For. To be historically accurate they did three deathcore/metalcore releases (which somewhat followed the Job for a Cowboy Doom template) then moved on to post-hardcore and more recently have become almost as genre-fluid as Poppy. It took a while before I could enjoy the early stuff all the way through in one sitting, but classics like They Have No Refections, Pray for Plagues and Tell Slater Not to Wash His Dick are guilty-pleasure genre favourites for me now.

Veering into @GD Fan's 'bands I love that most people might find issue with' category, I thought it interesting that Street Tombs cover art was so close to one of my fave hardcore artist's recent cover style:

https://soundcloud.com/swanmeat%2Fsets%2Fblood-supernova-ep
... but hardcore/breakbeat now, several miles away from metal. Similar fast/technical thing going though.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Swan Meat.
Awesome name

:)

Yes it tickled my sense of humour. But as a search term for her music on YouTube it returns some odd results ...

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
So in the spirit of amusement I'm going to offer a slight twist - bands I love that most people might find issue with.

Jimmy Buffett (over 25 shows under my belt)

Eric Clapton

James Taylor

Jack Johnson

OAR
Ooh, pick me, pick me! I have an issue with all of those on the list :eek:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Along with Barbie Girl in my tender years we also had B*Witched still bouncing around:

spigot

Beethoven was 53 when he wrote the 9th Symphony. Plucked it out of thin air while deaf with horrible tinnitus.

But it’s true he didn’t write an LP
I'm talking about writing 10 hooks (typically annually). Great artists can still be sporadically interesting because they're falling from a great height. Bob Dylan wrote the odd great tune in his 50's, not a great LP of 10 hooks. Similarly Paul McCartney.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm taking about writing 10 hooks (typically annually). Great artists can still be sporadically interesting because they're falling from a great height. Bob Dylan wrote the odd great tune in his 50's, not a great LP of 10 hooks. Similarly Paul McCartney.

Digby

Major Contributor
OK, I'm gonna do it....Prog Rock!

On the one hand, it is not weird/out there (prog) enough and on the other hand doesn't really rock. It is neither fish nor fowl and is mainly played by men in capes that look as if they probably smell of mustiness and scented snuff.

Take Tubular Bells, for instance. Starts off well enough, but by the end we have happy birthday played on the moog (which is pronounced moo-g BTW, not mo-gue). I shudder just to think about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom