• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
...I'll put myself on the spot here (gladly, as it will allow true experts to throw rocks.)

But while RF-frequency ('gigahertz class") DACs' state-of-the-art today is about 20 bits, I thought that low-frequency audio DACs (and digital filters of DAC SoCs) are at least 24bit, and might even be 32 now...? While still 'of consumer prices'..?

Where do you get the idea that RF gets to 20 bits?

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Your snark is getting a bit old and tired. Please try to be more pleasant in your attempt to belittle anyone who disagrees with you.
I acknowledged to the administrator that this was unnecessary. And so apologize for that to you personally.
However, factually, full level or near full level tones at 35 KHz don't exist in actual music.

Thoughts?

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Where do you get the idea that RF gets to 20 bits?

I might have gotten carried away with that 'about 20-bit'... Would 16-bit be more agreeable? Or is the true (core) resolution still 14? (Searching through Maxim Integrated catalog as we speak... meanwhile will update my original post)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I might have gotten carried away with that 'about 20-bit'... Would 16-bit be more agreeable? Or is the true resolution is still 14? (Looking at Maxim Integrated catalog as we speak...)

No idea, just wondering where you got the info :) Please note that RF DAC’s are quite different animals. Because the frequency is so high, oversampling cannot be used in most cases. This means that the output is highly reliant on analogue filtering. THD specs will be nowhere as good as audio DAC’s. But usually that is okay, since the use cases don’t demand it.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it will be silly to put it in a hi-fi streamer... Especially with its price sticker... But on the flipside, one would enjoy 2.5GHz ultra-ultra-sonics! :)

Stick your head into an active microwave, those will give you ultrasonics of roughly the same frequency.. and you’ll actually feel it :facepalm:

Disclaimer: don’t do that :mad:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Looks like you can sell it.. it’s called MQA :facepalm: It’s just that nobody told the audiophiles as much. They could have made MQA with far less effort: just make a new file format derived from FLAC that uses 20 bit audio internally, and outputs 24 bit audio after decode.
Well, whatever you build also needs to have a complicated story so audiophiles can't understand it just like MQA and believe you are producing 24 bits. ;) :)

bennetng

Major Contributor

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Last edited:

BrEpBrEpBrEpBrEp

symphara

They can't spell the word.

(Oh god what a bad pun :facepalm:)
If you have a 3-byte word take that thing to the shop and demand your money back!*

*unless it's a DSP

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Because the frequency is so high, oversampling cannot be used in most cases. This means that the output is highly reliant on analogue filtering.

True... And yes we do rely on analog [bandpass] filters alot... Yet we do digital oversampling quite a bit too - and then upconvert... Have to upconvert, especially if your boss wants you in W-band (at 80GHz, and above...) :) All depends on the app...

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Please, tell us what the frequency content specifications of "actual music" is.
Ultrasonic content is very low compared to normal music in the baseband.

I don't think there is any controversy here.

If you look at your tweeters they are much smaller than your woofers.

The reason is that there is much less energy in the HF.

Ultrasonics take even less energy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom