• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most respected reviewers

Asmodeus2112

I love ASR and Amir's reviews. But I would like to find some complimentary reviewers that are trusted. By complimentary I mean more subjective, but still logical. May I ask the community what reviewers y'all trust and respect? (And by the community I am asking those that trust and respect Amir, I'm not trying to open up the discussion about measurements vs. pure subjective thing.)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@Kal Rubinson, Stereophile, and an active ASR member.

Wait, do we have to trust and respect @amirm? I'm afraid @Thomas savage had an influence on at least one of those, albeit not regarding the technical reviews... :D

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Kal Rubinson with Stereophile has to be on the short list.
He is an active member on these forums.

@napilopez writes for The Next Web and has done some great measurements for consumer gear

@VintageFlanker posts technical reviews here often

Audioholics is more home theater based, but brings both subjectivity and measurements to then table.

Erin’s Audio Corner provides Klippel measurements along with subjective comments. I think he does a great job with the measurements. He is banned from here due to business practices not measurement issues.

Needs automated translation for English translation. They do 10W sinad measurements for their amps. I recently found them when looking for measurements for the PM-11s2 from Marantz versus the PM-10. Their SA-10 measurements show worse THD+N and SNR than here, so you would have been able to tell that the SA-10 was engineered for pleasant coloration. Their test gear is able to show the superior measurements of the Denon DCD-A110, so you can still use it for comparisons within the site. (This actually suggests that the DCD-A110 could be really impressive)

Same thing. Need google translate for English. They seem to only test amplifiers not sources with measurement and their test gear always shows really high THD+N, but you can use them to compare internally between products.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

https://www.stereophile.com

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@napilopez writes for The Next Web and has done some great measurements for consumer gear

Honored to be included! But just an FYI that I no longer write for TNW (alas, laid off) so you wont see anything new from me there, just my old reviews.

For those curious about where to find my stuff in the future, I'm not sure what's next yet. But if I'm measuring speakers I'll be happy to share the data with the community as always.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those curious about where to find my stuff in the future, I'm not sure what's next yet.
YouTube + text review here ?
inspekthor-thinking.gif

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honored to be included! but just an FYI that I no longer write for TNW (alas, laid off) so you wont see anything new from me but my old reviews are there.

For those curious about where to find my stuff in the future, I'm not sure what's next yet. But if I'm measuring speakers I'll be happy to share the data with the community as always.
I am sorry to hear!

There is a whole community of YouTube reviewers that you may end up being successful with.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EAC, Archimago, Kal Rubinson, Mitchco with Audiophile Style, Audioholics, Amir obviously, and, historically Peter Aczel with the Audio Critic. Even if some of the reviews are dated, Aczel's approach to evaluating audio gear remains as fresh today as the day it was written. He will teach anyone who reads him an approach to evaluating audio gear, that will go light years toward avoiding being ripped off.

Chaconne

Anthony H. Cordesman. He sometimes gets a bit loony, but at least he listens to classical music. Also a prominent foreign-policy expert. Sadly, he doesn't seem to be writing as much as he once did.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anthony H. Cordesman. He sometimes gets a bit loony, but at least he listens to classical music. Also a prominent foreign-policy expert. Sadly, he doesn't seem to be writing as much as he once did.
But but but... he thinks he can hear substantial qualitative differences between amplifiers and other electronics. Ugh.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I love ASR and Amir's reviews. But I would like to find some complimentary reviewers that are trusted. By complimentary I mean more subjective, but still logical. May I ask the community what reviewers y'all trust and respect? (And by the community I am asking those that trust and respect Amir, I'm not trying to open up the discussion about measurements vs. pure subjective thing.)

I'd echo a number of the choices others have made. (Especially Erin's Corner).

However, since you mentioned "more subjective" but "still logical" I'd say a good candidate for you to check out would be Robert E. Greene from The Absolute Sound. He's a mathematician, classical musician and audio reviewer who has had more "intellectual" takes on speakers through his career at TAS. He was advocating for neutrality, and the use of EQ for many decades. I always liked how he zeroed in on what in particular seemed important or different about the speaker he had selected to review, with some nice technical explanations.

And since you also asked about reviewers we personally "trust and respect" I'll give some of my personal favorites. First I don't just "trust" any reviewer - all are fallible. But I found some of the reviewers in the "subjective" camp, e.g. Michael Fremer, Art Dudley (Stereophile), Jonathan Valin (TAS), to have written insightfully about some equipment I was familiar with.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't forget our own Stuart Yaniger (i.e. @SIY) also writes for AudioXpress.

Yes!

In fact I remember bookmarking some of Stuart's show reports because I liked his take on things!

ETA: Found one:

I enjoyed Stuart's skewering of snake oil salesmen at the show!

Also, I noticed Stuart's comment here:

"Joseph Audio was showing its Perspective speakers, which feature the "Infinite Slope" crossovers. Clearly they paid attention to the polar pattern - there was a sizeable sweet spot, the spectral balance was very natural, and the sound was easy and relaxing. I could absolutely live with these."

Well described! I own those speakers and SIY's description is bang on. He has good ears!

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe REG (Robert E. Greene) posts here from time to time.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honored to be included! But just an FYI that I no longer write for TNW (alas, laid off) so you wont see anything new from me there, just my old reviews.

Really sorry to read that. Just hope for your sake that wasn't your day job.

Top Bottom