• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop May USB-C Headphones Review

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good work.

My 3 biggest gripes with them:

No chin woggle on the cable above the remote (I need it)

Not enough length above the remote to add a woggle (those little velcro cables can be used)

App is woeful even if it "works'.

I ended up using the cable on another pair of iem and swapping for a dongle and a Zonie.
So what response do you get if you don't use the DSP cable?

mc.god

So what response do you get if you don't use the DSP cable?

index.php

heraldo_jones

I have them, they doesn't sound bad, but average at best. Still Hexas with Zero Red adapter impedance (to tame high peaks) are my kings. Better imaging and resolution.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Went back to the DSP cable - removed the heat shrink on the hooks and secured the woggle below the remote (so it doesnt slide down) with one of those velcro straps everything comes with fitted snug below the woggle.

As long as I sit still the cables stay put and dont flap about (again, a proper positioning of the remote and a proper woggle so you can go right up under your chin is required really).

Reason being I really like the Standard tuning and it seems daft to have it unused if I put the cable on another pair of IEM.

Anyway- stand by my original view- this is a very comfy, good sounding IEM. A no brainer if you want a sub $100 set and dont want to buy a separate dongle etc. Think I would rather have this over the Zero 2 plus a dongle.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Moondrop sells just the cable with a different name. It is the Free DSP cable if you just want the cable.
Just to point out 2 minor differences (I agree this is almost certainly the same components etc)
1. The length of cable between the remote and ear is different- slightly longer on the FreeDSP at least on my versions (see my gripes)
2. Of course the May cable comes with the May presets that arent baked into the FreeDSP cable. Unless having the May cable unlocks the apps' ability to access them - either way not an issue when using either cable on a different pair of IEM

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome review, very thorough. Thanks a lot!

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I need a full semiotic workup of package decorations of boutique IEMs. Stat!
The Waifu culture is a thing… One may or may not like it, but it’s only on the packaging—easy to discard.
I only care about sound / fit / comfort / features, and boy does MAY deliver !!! :cool::cool::cool:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
P

Phenoez8

Oh- and @Phenoez8 the Free measurements linked here show the same -55db distortion/ linearity glitch you observed and speculate its a software issue. Further proof if needed we are looking at the same DAC in both cables.
Interesting. If that's the case I hope they can fix it in a software update soon.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. If that's the case I hope they can fix it in a software update soon.
I'm not sure there is scope for cable firmware updates in their eco system. My guess is it would have to be done in future production runs.

Last thing they want is a spate of device bricking complaints to fix a minor glitch.

BobPM

Never experienced a godless IEM - "atheistic." I assume he meant "aesthetic."

Top Bottom