• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop May (IEM with USB C DSP cable)

Jave

The app needs to be stable and working first, then not require BS permissions.

Do you not use streaming services?

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The app needs to be stable and working first, then not require BS permissions.

Do you not use streaming services?
Agreed.

I use Tidal via UAPP

Jave

Don't you still get weird beeping when pausing/playing a track (not while it plays, but just before/after)? UAPP doesn't seem to solve it for me

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't you still get weird beeping when pausing/playing a track (not while it plays, but just before/after)? UAPP doesn't seem to solve it for me
I'll have to test that

EDIT- cant even get it to make the whine noise now at all. Still have issues connecting to Moondrop app (seem to have to clear the cache ) , no idea why I need to turn on bluetooth but it wont progress if I say no. Hate the fact that you cant tell whether the preset EQ or a manual PEQ is enabled (or neither).

Id have to advise anyone contemplating the May to wait a while. See what a couple of firmware updates and/ or app updates bring. I like the IEM form and sound but the DSP bit needs work.

Ive put a dumb cable on them for now.

Last edited:

Jave

Once I set up the EQ I wanted (standard), I just deleted the app. The EQ seems to persist regardless. Maybe I should replace my pair if you say you dont get any beeping sounds.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Once I set up the EQ I wanted (standard), I just deleted the app. The EQ seems to persist regardless. Maybe I should replace my pair if you say you dont get any beeping sounds.
Never noticed a beep but did have a whine. If it is persistent for you I would request a swap but I'm not sure it's a single unit error.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you still have these beeps after you deleted the Link app?
Do you have them is playing from a PC or some other source that does not have Moondrop Link?
I don’t have May yet (in transit), but if it behaves like FreeDSP (or CDSP, or any of these DSP-enabled this), then yes, the EQ is persistent: that’s the main interest of these devices, and that’s also why I can live with the (bad) Link app.

Jave

It still happens even after I removed the app. It also happens on the PC. It's more of whine, like a very fast tone sweep, than a beep

This noise is pretty quite and I don't hear it when something plays, only immediately before or after

Soria Moria

I really want this one but I already have the Variations. The May comes with pre-installed and unremoveable filters inside which is nice since the ones for my Variations fall off occasionally. Think it's worth it? I also know that I can just add the cable to the Variations but if I get the May I can then sell the Variations since there wouldn't be any need to keep such an expensive IEM around.

CedarX

Forum Donor
I really want this one but I already have the Variations. The May comes with pre-installed and unremoveable filters inside which is nice since the ones for my Variations fall off occasionally. Think it's worth it? I also know that I can just add the cable to the Variations but if I get the May I can then sell the Variations since there wouldn't be any need to keep such an expensive IEM around.
Variations is a very nice IEM, technically interesting with its DD+EST+BA combination of drivers. To me, the “nice & interesting” would be enough to keep it!

That being said, wouldn’t the first question be: with the right EQ, can you get from MAY, the same, or a better, personalized “sound” you get with Variations? A second hypothetical question: if you were to add a FreeDSP cable to Variations (I know, more $$), could you EQ it to something even more satisfying for you, something you could not approach with MAY—whether it’s due to MAY alleged distortions, IMD… or simply a better fit for your ears…

Soria Moria

Variations is a very nice IEM, technically interesting with its DD+EST+BA combination of drivers. To me, the “nice & interesting” would be enough to keep it!

That being said, wouldn’t the first question be: with the right EQ, can you get from MAY, the same, or a better, personalized “sound” you get with Variations? A second hypothetical question: if you were to add a FreeDSP cable to Variations (I know, more $$), could you EQ it to something even more satisfying for you, something you could not approach with MAY—whether it’s due to MAY alleged distortions, IMD… or simply a better fit for your ears…
Alleged distortions? Are there any measurements?
This is the Variations and May (standard). Both are really good. I kind of want the May anyway to compare.
Screenshot_20231226-202654_Brave (1).jpg

CedarX

Forum Donor
Alleged distortions? Are there any measurements?
This is the Variations and May (standard). Both are really good. I kind of want the May anyway to compare.View attachment 337237
Alleged distortions was poor wording as I haven’t seen any distortion measurement… I meant to say: it’s a question that needs to be addressed in a MAY vs. Variations comparison.

EDIT: if MAY and FreeDSP cables use the same chips (?), there is also the jitter topic, whether it could be audible.

otseiTiesto

Is this graph interactive? Can you provide a link please?
No. There are no links, the information has been generated by me through the graphs. But I attach the files with all the data, if you modify them you can open them with REW.

Edit: By the way, as you can imagine, these values are not entirely accurate!

Attachments

• Moondrop_May_THD.txt
    3 KB · Views: 33
  • Moondrop_Variations_THD.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Vladetz

My 5 cents about whine noise
No noise at all on PC (32/384) and iPad
Whine noise on Oneplus 8 (android 13) after all system interactions accompanied by sounds (pressing icons, back, recents etc.), but absolutely no noise if playing music
Also when music is played on zero volume i get no noise after all interactions
Same observations on Xiaomi Mi A2, but the tonality of noise is a bit different

It all makes me think that it caused by algorithms of android sound mixer or by turning built in amplifier off with no signal to improve energy efficiency on mobile devices

BTW Moondrop Jiu also has noise but it is lower in volume and always persistent on playback and is gone when android sends no sound for a while

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like these. Very comfortable. I have ditched the cable though. I use DSP on my phone and I don't find the ear hooks comfortable.

If moondrop are reading, please release a dumb version for £50 or £40

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using the Moondrop May with a Qudelix 5k? If so, how? USB-C to 3.5 or 2.5 adaptor? Is there such a thing and if so which is a good one?

Thanks

Top Bottom