• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mola Mola Tambaqui Measurements

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mola_Mola_studio-8.jpg

Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC (€10,000 or $13,400).

XLR output level 6.15 Vrms according to the manual.

AudioPrecision APx555 measurements courtesy of the Audiophile Magazine review linked below.

Full scale 1kHz
teaserbox_68602112.png

Full scale 19+20kHz
teaserbox_68610639.png

http://www.audiophile-magazine.com/bancs-d-essais/mola-mola-tambaqui/mola-mola-tambaqui-3/

This is very impressive. I think it measures better than any DAC reviewed here in ASR. How listenable are those differences is another matter. :) And that price tag....

Edit: official ASR measurements and review below.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-mola-tambaqui-dac-and-streamer-review.10770/

Comparative measurements against other DACs here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-mola-tambaqui-measurements.10693/post-306420

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
FFT size is not given... and I wish they published the dashboard as well.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does this do that the Topping D90 does not?

Well, technically it is also a Roon enabled network rendererer, but I get your point.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Great, another expensive mains-powered device without a safety certification.

What does this do that the Topping D90 does not?
Did you at least try to look at the device?
CE marking is obvious.

What does a S class do that a VW Passat doesn't ?

That's called luxury, if you can't afford it, me neither. And these days I can't even afford a D90.

gags11

Forum Donor
This is very impressive. I think it measures better than any DAC reviewed here in ASR. How listenable are those differences is another matter. :) And that price tag....

Found another review of this unit from their own website. Full SINAD seems lower, around 106db and A-weighted SNR of 118.5dB. I may be reading or understanding these measurements wrong, correct me if it is the case.

link to full article

https://www.mola-mola.nl/readmore/HFN-Nov-Mola-Mola-Tambaqui-Reprint.pdf

785E2F4A-8AA4-48D5-86FB-13AB970281C9.jpeg

Feyire

Distortion specification is amazing (0.00005% at 1kHz 0dBFs)
But the A-weighted S/N ratio is disappointing in comparison...

If the noise level was down to the distortion level, you would approach 126dB SINAD.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It sounds very nice as I am watch ‘Sherlock’ through the Hedd’s’.
Keith

Feyire

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
130dB SNR claimed.

gags11

Forum Donor
Distortion specification is amazing (0.00005% at 1kHz 0dbFs)? But the A-weighted S/N ratio is disappointing..?

Many cheap DACs tested here have distortion of around -130db level at 1khz, 0dbfs. This unit has it at around -126db. But THD + N or SINAD is much lower, and likely limited by noise. It has THD + N of 0.0005% measured with 20khz, 0dbFs signal, or SINAD of 106db. No mention what the results were with 1khz signal.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Will you ever send one in for Amir to measure? :cool:
I only have the one , perhaps if they build a streamer into the Makua as they are promising and I can afford it.
Keith

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How did you came to that conclusion?
Harmonics levels, noise floor without power supply hum whatsoever, IMD levels. I don't think I have seen lower than that. I may be wrong, so please correct me if that's the case.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't look any better than Topping D90 to me. Of course they didn't state what FFT size and bitrate they use, and the output voltage they measured at. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/topping-d90-balanced-usb-dac-review.10519/
Look at 2nd harmonics of the Tambaqui and compare to those of the D90. They are lower. 3rd and 5th are similar. PS noise both are null so tied too.
Full scale is the rated 6.15 Vrms I mentioned. I wonder how those harmonics would change at ASR's default 4 Vrms output but I would guess equal or better. The review shows -20 dB FS with almost no harmonics so that's a hint.

Last edited:

bunkbail

Forum Donor
The review shows -20 dB FS with almost no harmonics so that's a hint.
Didn't notice they measured at -20 dBFS as well. Yeah, in that case it is better than Topping D90 indeed.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Did you at least try to look at the device?
CE marking is obvious.
Did you at least try to research what you wrote?
CE marking is worthless.

It is a self-declaration, meaning I can cobble together some electrical contraption and print the marking on the back. Unless somebody gets electrocuted by it and then reports to the relevant authority, nobody would bother calling my bluff.

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/ce-marking/

I quote:
Please note that a CE marking does not indicate that a product have been approved as safe by the EU or by another authority.

CE isn't worth the material it is printed on. An actual European safety cert, performed by an independent, accredited testing lab, would be ENEC or TÜV.

What does a S class do that a VW Passat doesn't ?
Faster. Quieter. Measurable improvements.
I hope this thing measures better than the Topping D90 under the exact same test conditions. For the price it better.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Did you at least try to research what you wrote?
CE marking is worthless.

It is a self-declaration, meaning I can cobble together some electrical contraption and print the marking on the back. Unless somebody gets electrocuted by it and then reports to the relevant authority, nobody would bother calling my bluff.

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/ce-marking/

I quote:

CE isn't worth the material it is printed on. An actual European safety cert, performed by an independent, accredited testing lab, would be ENEC or TÜV.
I did my research, for other reasons than looking smart on a forum.
As usual, things are not black and white. If some European companies prefer selling products without CE mark, it could be that risks are lower than selling a non compliant product with the mark.
Faster. Quieter. Measurable improvements.
I hope this thing measures better than the Topping D90 under the exact same test conditions. For the price it better.
Eats more fuel, more difficult to find a suitable parking spot in a non North American country, cost more to insure and maintain... These are also measurable parameters. But that's not even the point. An s-class and a passat belong to different market segments, comparing them doesn't really make sense. Comparing the Tambaqui to a D90 doesn't make sense either.

Top Bottom