• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 437 75.9%

• Total voters

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Try to position the tweeter not facing directly at you ... I mean, position the tweeter facing behind you (less "toe-in").

gitesh

The Flex would be perfect, although maybe a little overkill.

Have you tried lowering the treble on your HK reciever using the tone controls on the front?
Tried it helps a bit but not able to solve the problem totally

Strobilus

Started using minidsp (DDRC now Flex) and Dirac for this reason with my system (KEF ls50 a tad bit too bright) and tinnitus. As others are saying using treble control is a first step and if possible other PEQ software to see if room correction with house curve is suitable. With Dirac I have different curves and I find that it results in less fatigue.

I would say that investing and testing with a measurement mic can also show if there is something odd with the speakers or room (mine had faulty tweeters, resulting in additional brightness which I realised after measuring them).

If you see a point in having the flex as the central unit in your system it would be valuable.

gitesh

Started using minidsp (DDRC now Flex) and Dirac for this reason with my system (KEF ls50 a tad bit too bright) and tinnitus. As others are saying using treble control is a first step and if possible other PEQ software to see if room correction with house curve is suitable. With Dirac I have different curves and I find that it results in less fatigue.

I would say that investing and testing with a measurement mic can also show if there is something odd with the speakers or room (mine had faulty tweeters, resulting in additional brightness which I realised after measuring them).

If you see a point in having the flex as the central unit in your system it would be valuable.
How did u measure to check whether tweeters are Allright. ?

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Is returning the B&Ws an option? If so you can get a speaker that you like the sound of rather than trying to fix something you don't like to begin with? That's what I did a few years ago when I tired some B&W bookshelf speakers that also sounded overly bright and harsh. Returned them in less than a week and went and got a pair of Revel M105 and never looked back.

mike70

Is returning the B&Ws an option? If so you can get a speaker that you like the sound of rather than trying to fix something you don't like to begin with? That's what I did a few years ago when I tired some B&W bookshelf speakers that also sounded overly bright and harsh. Returned them in less than a week and went and got a pair of Revel M105 and never looked back.

that happens normally with "detailed" speakers ... "detailed" in audiophile terms usually means more energy in HF.
brands like B&W / Monitor Audio / Focal generally have that "great detail" (it works great in the 20 mins demo, but not with 2 hours in your home :))
In the same level of B&W 700s i bought the Kef R3 and no regrets at all.

jrmr

Today i received the new amplifier from Audiophonic AP300-S250NC and connected the Flex balanced. Since two days before i tinkered a bit with the Flex on my Mac to check all the functions and get used to it. I guess the Flex is faulty because no Bluetooth pairing with phone or mac. I already asked the support but no solution. The Pairing mode appears for just three seconds and then BT (NC Not connected). Also there is no output when on USB with my Mac. All settings are ok, audio-midi-setup is showing the Flex but still no output. I will go for this tomorrow.

My first and urgent question for now is: Is it normal to crank up the volume almost to 0dB? Depending on the source the volume i set is between -30--15dB when listening to music but the TV is so silent that i could almost go to 0dB when listening to News for instance. The TV is on S/PDIF. There is also AppleTV and a Sony Blu-Ray-player connected and the audio out for all is the TV-connection to the flex with S/PDIF. The volume there is different but still i have to go at least to -35dB. At -20/-15 it is loud then. I know, "loud" is subjective but i mean i don´t need more. On Toslink it´s the same, maybe a bit louder.

Maybe my speakers are so hungry for power? Dynaudio X34 with 8ohm/86dB. They are so called amplifier-friendly but my old amp sounded distorted already at 12 o'clock with 85w at 8ohm.

Now it´s really strange for me to pull up the volume on the flex so high, it´s like 3 o´clock at an integrated amp. I guess the situation is different because of pre-amplifying but still it takes getting used to- or is something wrong? Can i adjust something in gain? I wonder also because all the dBs less than-40dB (down to -127) are completely useless because i hear just nothing there...

I did not connect anything to analog-in yet, for today it was enough. Thanks a lot for ideas!

edit: just connected again my Mac and USB is working suddenly. Volume at -30db by night...

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Today i received the new amplifier from Audiophonic AP300-S250NC and connected the Flex balanced. Since two days before i tinkered a bit with the Flex on my Mac to check all the functions and get used to it. I guess the Flex is faulty because no Bluetooth pairing with phone or mac. I already asked the support but no solution. The Pairing mode appears for just three seconds and then BT (NC Not connected). Also there is no output when on USB with my Mac. All settings are ok, audio-midi-setup is showing the Flex but still no output. I will go for this tomorrow.

My first and urgent question for now is: Is it normal to crank up the volume almost to 0dB? Depending on the source the volume i set is between -30--15dB when listening to music but the TV is so silent that i could almost go to 0dB when listening to News for instance. The TV is on S/PDIF. There is also AppleTV and a Sony Blu-Ray-player connected and the audio out for all is the TV-connection to the flex with S/PDIF. The volume there is different but still i have to go at least to -35dB. At -20/-15 it is loud then. I know, "loud" is subjective but i mean i don´t need more. On Toslink it´s the same, maybe a bit louder.

Maybe my speakers are so hungry for power? Dynaudio X34 with 8ohm/86dB. They are so called amplifier-friendly but my old amp sounded distorted already at 12 o'clock with 85w at 8ohm.

Now it´s really strange for me to pull up the volume on the flex so high, it´s like 3 o´clock at an integrated amp. I guess the situation is different because of pre-amplifying but still it takes getting used to- or is something wrong? Can i adjust something in gain? I wonder also because all the dBs less than-40dB (down to -127) are completely useless because i hear just nothing there...

I did not connect anything to analog-in yet, for today it was enough. Thanks a lot for ideas!

edit: just connected again my Mac and USB is working suddenly. Volume at -30db by night...
For volume, use a multimeter and 60Hz test tone (attached below) to make sure that you're getting the full 4.0Vrms

For this, disable any EQ, plug the XLR cables out of your Amp, then play the test tone via the Apple TV, BD Player, the TV itself, the Mac, and check the output voltage at 100% volume (XLR Pin 2&3):
300px-XLR_pinouts.svg.png

Attachments

• Sine_60_0_dBFS_44k_PCM16_01.flac.zip
    331.9 KB · Views: 16

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Bear in mind the flex only attenuates (reduces) whatever volume is provided by the source. So if the source is already providing a level needed for listening, it is absolutely normal for the flex to by at maximum.

For the TV check it is not already setting the volume over the SPDFI. If it is, make sure the TV volume is set to maximum.

Regarding USB from the mac check:
1 - the flex is set to USB input.
2 - The mac is set to output to the flex

Sokel

Master Contributor
Didn't MiniDSP changed the gain structure to address the issues found in the other thread?
(the right way was to do it after the ASRC but still an improvement)

Listen to @staticV3 and measure it.

jrmr

@staticV3 @antcollinet

Thanks for advices. I will buy a multimeter but the miniDSP will go back anyway because of no bluetooth (and USB problems), BT is not my favourite source of course but it should work.

My TV is set on S/PDIF audio out and the volume is fix not variable.

Yesterday late in the evening the USB connection was suddenly working but just as suddenly the output stopped later. The sound however was really nice, listened to music although i should have gone to bed. I just tried again with USB- no output, all settings like yesterday. I tried different USB-cables.

Last edited:

Sparkles

...can I use it's equaliser for reducing the brightness in my stereo set up ?
Yes. With Flex you can lower the offending frequencies with the inbuilt EQ options. Trial and error.

Alternately, some say tissue paper over, or felt pads either side of the tweeter helps. (Keep the grills on).

jrmr

A short update for not blaming the MiniDSP :) BT pairing just worked.. i tried at least 30 times since i got it here. Suddenly my phone is connected and the USB connection also works now. Two days before i started the Mac on USB then the music played in the kitchen via airplay on the WiiM Mini, also new and the Mac was connected there before, so maybe its the computers fault or the WiiM minis. All settings were right but computer says no :)

The output is still not as loud as i expected but the speakers are working as they should, i am in love again with them. Of course they don´t sound different but there is no distortion anymore and less boom when played louder. I always was a bit in a worry that they are maybe too much for my room (22qm) but no they aren´t.

Yesterday i tried the analog-in with blu-ray-player for cd´s. The output is just a bit less but nothing to worry about anymore!

Next days i will buy a multimeter though and will measure, i just want to be sure that everything is ok.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
so maybe its the computers fault or the WiiM minis.
Some times the audio system just misbehaves. I restart the mac and everything is fine again.

Problem with modern computers is we think we can run them for days or weeks or months and never give them a restart. It is actually impressive how long they can work faultlessly between restarts - but they need one eventually. Even macs.

mike70

Macs are Linux based ... you can use Linux Mint with the same reliability for zero cost.

JW001

I recently bought a new Flex (DL) to replace a DDRC-24. To my surprise, when I tried to load a Dirac Live project file created by DDRC-24, I got an error "Could not restore a project - the file was created for a different device". The same version 3.9.7 of Dirac Live was used to configure DDRC. Both platforms have the same processor. Why would Dirac prevent Flex from loading DDRC's project?

Last edited:

JW001

Some times the audio system just misbehaves. I restart the mac and everything is fine again.

Problem with modern computers is we think we can run them for days or weeks or months and never give them a restart. It is actually impressive how long they can work faultlessly between restarts - but they need one eventually. Even macs.
You realize that the necessity to reboot a computer to maintain its health is a result of bugs in the OS. Not looking far, my Raspberry Pi-based pool controller runs for months and never needs rebooting. And I can’t imagine how it would be acceptable to periodically reboot thousands of online servers at big telecommunication companies. It’s a matter of what we accept and are willing to pay for as customers.

Hayabusa

Not to be pedantic, but MacOS is not UNIX based either. Its heritage pulls in part from FreeBSD, which is a UNIX-like distribution based on the Berkley Standard Distribution (BSD). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD
from your reference:

Background​

In 1974, Professor Bob Fabry of the University of California, Berkeley, acquired a Unix source license from AT&T. Supported by funding from DARPA, the Computer Systems Research Group started to modify and improve AT&T Research Unix. They called this modified version "Berkeley Unix"

Top Bottom